Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 05:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Photo Editor is Mostly used by Photographer?

primate
21 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Mar 21, 2016 20:57 |  #31

idkdc wrote in post #17943557 (external link)
DXO? Besides you, who uses DXO?

At the moment I'm using both DXO and Photoshop.

I have been using Photoshop on and off for a long time.

I use DXO for Prime noise reduction. In addition to to DXO Optics Pro, I have Viewpoint 2.

I can get a decent image out of DXO directly, but more likely than not, unless it's a snapshot, it'll be sent over to PS for more work.

With more than one software package, you can take the same raw file into each to see which you prefer.

For lens correction profiles, Canon does Canon, but DXO and PS [ACR] support a range of manufacturers including some camera phones.

I do not like the Adobe subscription model. I prefer the DXO model - perpetual license, then upgrade if the newer version looks worth it.

Beyond money, more than one software package takes time and energy. You can be completely deep with one package or less deep with several. I haven't done a lot with Gimp -- I'd need to learn new workflows. The ones I use with PS are adequate right now and will remain that way unless Adobe starts charging more than they are worth.

I'm not sure which one I'd keep, if I had to keep only one.

sponsored links
idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (2 edits in all)

Mar 21, 2016 21:11 |  #32

primate wrote in post #17943787 (external link)
At the moment I'm using both DXO and Photoshop.

I have been using Photoshop on and off for a long time.

I use DXO for Prime noise reduction. In addition to to DXO Optics Pro, I have Viewpoint 2.

I can get a decent image out of DXO directly, but more likely than not, unless it's a snapshot, it'll be sent over to PS for more work.

With more than one software package, you can take the same raw file into each to see which you prefer.

For lens correction profiles, Canon does Canon, but DXO and PS [ACR] support a range of manufacturers including some camera phones.

I do not like the Adobe subscription model. I prefer the DXO model - perpetual license, then upgrade if the newer version looks worth it.

Beyond money, more than one software package takes time and energy. You can be completely deep with one package or less deep with several. I haven't done a lot with Gimp -- I'd need to learn new workflows. The ones I use with PS are adequate right now and will remain that way unless Adobe starts charging more than they are worth.

I'm not sure which one I'd keep, if I had to keep only one.

I think it depends how complex you get into post-processing and where you plan to go in your career. For what I do, I can't imagine learning an esoteric workflow for Gimp just to save a few dollars. If you're just doing stuff for fun, it'll do things okay, but industry-standards are better for the training materials as well as job placement and collaboration with teams. Everything's just a lot faster to learn (because of the materials) and easier to market yourself for full time employment with Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Avid Pro, Logic Pro, etc. I'd rather pay extra for Avid than Sony Vegas or Pinnacle or something like that because, let's face it, no one hires or trains taking into consideration cheap software, and there are advantages with industry standards for delving deep into the art of post-processing.

TLDR; with software, time is money and cost-opportunity.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

azenis
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by azenis.

Mar 22, 2016 02:48 |  #33

LR for general photos

PS only for those instances where I think "what if..." or "it should..." moments

And honestly, LR is so powerful nowadays... a lot of functions that used to be possible only with PS are now available on LR for a few clicks.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 23, 2016 11:29 |  #34

Lightroom for 95% of my work; the organization of images and ability to search my whole database is a big bonus on top of its already good editing capabilities. If the image is basically good and just needs tweaks in exposure, cropping, etc. the workflow is fast and easy.

Photoshop (CS6 now) for repairing defects in images before export. Sometimes LR's defect repair just doesn't give enough power or fine control to fix an image that's going to be printed. Photoshop's layers, cloning and brushes are more flexible and it's worth the few moments necessary to export an image for editing.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2016 13:57 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

CaptureOne Pro 8; Photoshop CS4; PhotoMechanic 5 for DAM.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 23, 2016 15:30 as a reply to  @ post 17693825 |  #36

I'm a Apple computer user and have been using Aperture for years and still use it, mainly for my library(catalog). I abandoned iPhoto. For editing I use several different packages from PhotoShop CS6(rarely use it except for Content Aware, as yes it it bloated for photographers) , On1 Photo 10, MacPhun Suite, NoiseWare.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Mar 23, 2016 16:33 |  #37

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #17945974 (external link)
I'm a Apple computer user and have been using Aperture for years and still use it, mainly for my library(catalog). I abandoned iPhoto.

This is interesting to me, Rick, as I have pretty much done the exact opposite.

One of the main reasons I gave up on Aperture is because of the long time I would have to wait for the program to open on my iMac. If I clicked on the Aperture icon, it would take, like, over 30 seconds to fully open. Conversely, when I clicked on the iPhoto icon, iPhoto would open up within 3 or 4 seconds. I can't imagine just sitting there at the computer, doing nothing for 30 or 40 seconds while I wait for a program to open, so I just gave up on it and stopped using it altogether.

So my question for you is, does Aperture open up instantly for you, or does it put you thru the same gut-wrenching 30-40 second delays that I experienced?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 23, 2016 16:39 |  #38

Years ago, I did a poll on POTN about RAW conversion.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13665896#po​st13665896

LR was the most popular...Aperture was way down the list.

Gotta see if there was ever a poll on photo editors.

[edit] I found a poll on JPG editors, but the data is now 5 years old!

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=11388053

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

almbdown
31 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Mar 23, 2016 19:13 |  #39

I use lightroom 100% of the time and do additional editing in photoshop about 10% of the time.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 24, 2016 07:41 |  #40

almbdown wrote in post #17946197 (external link)
I use lightroom 100% of the time and do additional editing in photoshop about 10% of the time.

That's more time than I have.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2016 08:18 |  #41

LR 5.7 90% and PSE11 10%

Most of my photos never see photoshop unless there are things (like layers) that I need for a specific issue or look.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2016 08:41 |  #42

100% use of Lightroom for RAW conversion and global parameter changes as well as those that can be manage with the Brush correction capability.
PaintShop Pro 16 for very infrequent pixel level changes, or corrections for perspective distortion (e.g. buildings due to camera tilt), or for photo composite work via layering.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Gallery: 250 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 24, 2016 09:26 |  #43

DPP for 90% ACR and CS6 for the rest. Had a couple of Nik plugins for CS5 but rarely used them. For all those advocating CC, please remember its £18/month over here which equates to approx $25. Not quite the bargain after all.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2016 11:11 |  #44

bildeb0rg wrote in post #17946834 (external link)
DPP for 90% ACR and CS6 for the rest. Had a couple of Nik plugins for CS5 but rarely used them. For all those advocating CC, please remember its £18/month over here which equates to approx $25. Not quite the bargain after all.

Assuming from your use of the £ symbol, and rough conversion rate to the $ that you are in the UK I think you have your pricing wrong. A single product licence on CC for PS is indeed £17.99, CC products actually have two pricing levels, with the major programs at £17.99 and some of the smaller ones a bit cheaper.

What you want is the Photographers bundle, which includes BOTH Lightroom and Photoshop, and is only £8.99/month.

What I really wish is that they would do a similar bundle for video too, with Premier, After effects, and the audio editor. I would like both stiĺl and video and would happily pay up to maybe £25/month if they included all the video bits too. I don't really need dreamweaver or the publishing stuff.

At the moment I am going to go with the Student package at £15 as my daughter qualifies for the first year, then probably just the Photographers bundle after that.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 24, 2016 14:15 |  #45

BigAl007 wrote in post #17946922 (external link)
Assuming from your use of the £ symbol, and rough conversion rate to the $ that you are in the UK I think you have your pricing wrong. A single product licence on CC for PS is indeed £17.99, CC products actually have two pricing levels, with the major programs at £17.99 and some of the smaller ones a bit cheaper.

What you want is the Photographers bundle, which includes BOTH Lightroom and Photoshop, and is only £8.99/month.

What I really wish is that they would do a similar bundle for video too, with Premier, After effects, and the audio editor. I would like both stiĺl and video and would happily pay up to maybe £25/month if they included all the video bits too. I don't really need dreamweaver or the publishing stuff.

At the moment I am going to go with the Student package at £15 as my daughter qualifies for the first year, then probably just the Photographers bundle after that.

Alan

Photography bundle is a very good deal. I think they assume that video folks are making or at least willing to spend more money and everyone else doing video who can't afford it is using iMovie.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links

14,960 views & 14 likes for this thread
Which Photo Editor is Mostly used by Photographer?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.