Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 05:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Photo Editor is Mostly used by Photographer?

maisak
34 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2016

Mar 25, 2016 10:46 |  #61

Lightroom IMO

sponsored links
idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (6 edits in all)

Mar 25, 2016 11:01 |  #62

Wilt wrote in post #17948083 (external link)
How young are you? you seem to exhibit the 'it does not cost THAT much!" attitude. It adds up...
If you put $10 away each month

In business, $10 is a paltry cost of doing business each month. To a hobbyist, it can get very costly in the lessened ability to accumulate savings.

We were talking about the monthly subscription as a business expense, Wilt. Alveric is saying he refuses to buy CC because he doesn't want to be under the control of another company, while I said that a monthly subscription from Adobe is no different from my telecom company, domain and website host, cell phone bill, corporate line, etc. All these can get expensive, but if someone needs it, they need it. If they don't, they don't.

CODB. Cost of doing business.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,804 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 25, 2016 11:10 |  #63

idkdc wrote in post #17948137 (external link)
We were talking about the monthly subscription as a business expense, Wilt.

OP, in his original post or any of his followup posts, has not indicated his status as a working pro or as simply an enthusiast. While YOU are a business, we don't know about the OP.

I expressed the downside of subscription-based plan vs. perpetual license one time purchase, and compared the relative costs of the two using my own current status as an enthusiast, in the context of a 10 year period (my own).

While your status as a photographic business enterprise is not being dismissed, neither should the fact that the majority of folks on POTN, who might read this subject out of interest -- since they are trying to set themselves up as a beginning enthusiast -- be armed with information so they can make a choice suitable for their situation. There are some poor starving college students and retirees here, not just pros. I am expressing information for their benefit, not to convince you to chance your thinking and circumstances.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Mar 25, 2016 11:42 |  #64

Wilt wrote in post #17948158 (external link)
OP, in his original post or any of his followup posts, has not indicated his status as a working pro or as simply an enthusiast. While YOU are a business, we don't know about the OP.

I expressed the downside of subscription-based plan vs. perpetual license one time purchase, and compared the relative costs of the two using my own current status as an enthusiast, in the context of a 10 year period (my own).

While your status as a photographic business enterprise is not being dismissed, neither should the fact that the majority of folks on POTN, who might read this subject out of interest -- since they are trying to set themselves up as a beginning enthusiast -- be armed with information so they can make a choice suitable for their situation. There are some poor starving college students and retirees here, not just pros. I am expressing information for their benefit, not to convince you to chance your thinking and circumstances.

I think you are getting confused. Please reread the last few posts in the thread and who was quoted. I was talking to Alveric in the post you're nitpicking, in which we were comparing opposing philosophies on business expenses. Unless I quote you, I'm not directing my message towards you or what you're saying about amateur expenses.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,804 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 25, 2016 13:05 |  #65

idkdc wrote in post #17948189 (external link)
I think you are getting confused. Please reread the last few posts in the thread and who was quoted. I was talking to Alveric in the post you're nitpicking, in which we were comparing opposing philosophies on business expenses. Unless I quote you, I'm not directing my message towards you or what you're saying about amateur expenses.

What you and Alveric are each espousing, as both being photographic business professionals, is fine as a debate between the two of you.
Nevertheless, we don't know the perspective of the OP, nor do we think most POTN members treading this thread ARE in business with their cameras (OK, there are those 'weekend warriors' who derive side income, but that isn't necessarily being 'in the business'). And that is why discussions broader and outside the context of business is indeed appropriate. NOT trying to quash your discussion with Alveric at all, but we are not confining the thread to that context, either.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Mar 25, 2016 13:52 |  #66

Wilt wrote in post #17948289 (external link)
What you and Alveric are each espousing, as both being photographic business professionals, is fine as a debate between the two of you.
Nevertheless, we don't know the perspective of the OP, nor do we think most POTN members treading this thread ARE in business with their cameras (OK, there are those 'weekend warriors' who derive side income, but that isn't necessarily being 'in the business'). And that is why discussions broader and outside the context of business is indeed appropriate. NOT trying to quash your discussion with Alveric at all, but we are not confining the thread to that context, either.

Yeah, I don't think my conversation with Alveric conflicts my discussion with you at all..I do think you and I are getting them mixed up though... I already agree with you that there are cons to subscription for budding and amateur (lovers of the art) photographers. I think that's a choice every person needs to make for themselves.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 25, 2016 14:52 as a reply to  @ post 17948074 |  #67

Thanks Alan, that's reassuring to know.

shumicse
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2016 04:26 as a reply to  @ post 17939658 |  #68

Thank you so much for letting us know more about iPhoto here :)

shumicse
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by shumicse.

Mar 30, 2016 04:27 as a reply to  @ post 17939667 |  #69

Same here. I have tried to switch on many alternative photo editor other than Photoshop but at the end of the day...always prefer to use Photoshop.

shumicse
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 30, 2016 04:28 |  #70

maisak wrote in post #17948116 (external link)
Lightroom IMO

So you are using Lightroom?

shumicse
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 12, 2016 04:32 |  #71

This thread is now becoming a debate place. Anyway discussion on things let to choice the best option always.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
870 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 12, 2016 11:55 |  #72

Alveric wrote in post #17947378 (external link)
Even from a pro's standpoint: I absolutely refuse to buy into Arsobe's Creative Pop. I refuse to pay subscriptions. I don't need the latest and the greatest. And there are other reasons besides money for my stance.

One is this auto, painless and effortless updating. I don't like it. I want to be the one in control over when to update or even whether to update at all. Futhermore, what if there are features that I heavily use or I like, but then, in a collective brain fart, Adobe decides to remove said features. SOL I'd be, because Photoshop CC is in flux and you can't revert to the previous version, sorry. Apple is notorious for arrogant stunts like this.

Actually, both of the issues you mentioned have easy workarounds. Regarding the updates, you are in control of whether or not an update is applied so if you do not want to apply an update you do not have to and you can continue using the installed version.

Also, you are able to revert to previous versions (external link). In fact, when you install a new version you have the option of keeping the old version installed so you can run multiple versions side-by-side.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

shumicse
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 03, 2016 05:42 |  #73

Bcaps wrote in post #17969435 (external link)
Actually, both of the issues you mentioned have easy workarounds. Regarding the updates, you are in control of whether or not an update is applied so if you do not want to apply an update you do not have to and you can continue using the installed version.

Also, you are able to revert to previous versions (external link). In fact, when you install a new version you have the option of keeping the old version installed so you can run multiple versions side-by-side.

Thank you for the detailed info, and it was much needed to know about the option of reverting to previous version.

sponsored links

14,880 views & 14 likes for this thread
Which Photo Editor is Mostly used by Photographer?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.