Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Mar 2016 (Friday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon service says my L lens is too old to repair. Any suggestions?

rhs
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by rhs.

Mar 04, 2016 12:23 |  #1

This is in reference to my EF 28-70 2.8 L lens, purchased in 2001

Over the last couple of years this lens has started to produce hazy pictures with very low contrast. After doing any and all cleaning that I could do myself I decided that the lens needed to be repaired by Canon. The quality of the pictures is too bad to continue using the lens as it is. I suspect that one of the interior elements somehow developed a hazy film on it which needs to be cleaned off.

Unfortunately the lens was returned by Canon service, untouched with an explanation that I had exceeded the service life of this model. It also cited that components are no longer available for this model lens.

I am at a loss for what to do short of opening the lens myself and trying to find the problem – which would probably end up destroying it.

Can any of you while suggest to me any solutions to this problem that you might be aware of. Maybe somebody knows of a facility that will repair Canon lenses? Maybe it is possible to repair it myself with a little bit of instruction or a YouTube video for instruction.

To replace this lens with an identical used one from a major auction website would cost me about $800. The replacement for this model is over $1500. Ouch.

Just FYI, here is a link to a full sized sample image: http://sessums.net/sam​ple/sample.JPG (external link)

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 04, 2016 12:48 |  #2

I know midwest camera and keh offer repair services- you would have to call or email to see if they have any available parts for your lens, and estimated cost.

As far as a replacement goes, consider the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC or Canon 24-70 f4 IS if you don't need f/2.8- they will run you around $700-1000 depending on used/refurbed/new.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 04, 2016 12:50 |  #3

When you hold up the lens to a light, do you see a haze through the elements? Some of the canon lenses are pretty easy to remove the front element, as they are usually stationary, and if the haze is on the next set of lenses, you might be able to get this cleaned out yourself.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=2cwCIZFtyIo (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2016 14:26 |  #4

Tamron VC 24-70 2.8 - $700

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1453593

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

rhs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 07, 2016 12:40 |  #5

Thank you'll for the suggestions. I am reviewing a number of different repair shops that I was able to locate online and will select one. As it turns out my old "go to" camera store here in town closed two months ago after 40+ years in business.

TeamSpeed: I'm a DIY type of person, but that video, as interesting as it was, was just too intimidating for me to consider trying a repair myself. I did enjoy watching it however.

Guto
43 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2016 20:07 |  #6

I had the similar problem years ago.

http://photo.net …gital-camera-forum/00VZ7E (external link)

2 X Fujifilm X-T3 | 16mm f/1.4 | 23mm f/1.4 | 35mm f/1.4 | 56mm f/1.2 |

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 07, 2016 20:50 |  #7

also the 24-70f2.8 L replacement should be in the same range as the tamron...is the autofocus still working on the lens? you could probably list it on ebay as needing repair due to the haze and get at least a couple hundred dollars for it...so if the repair is like $400 it may not be worth it

even if the AF doesn't work it still has value, as people buy them for parts to fix other lenses

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

cjm
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by cjm.

Mar 08, 2016 22:34 |  #8

rhs wrote in post #17923362 (external link)
To replace this lens with an identical used one from a major auction website would cost me about $800. The replacement for this model is over $1500. Ouch.

I mean HUH??? That is a collectors price then.

I owned the 28-80L and the 28-70L and I can tell you even the mark 1 24-70L is a vast improvement. I bought a 24-70L last summer for $650 CAD. I am sure you can find a good more recent L lens for around the same price.

Looking at that photo. I have to wonder what camera do you use? Because this haze is so well balanced that it almost looks as if the sensor is dying on the body or something on that end as the photo its self is in focus and fairly sharp.

Christopher J. Martin
imagesbychristopher.co​m (external link)

rhs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 09, 2016 14:40 as a reply to  @ cjm's post |  #9

cjm, I don't think it's the camera. Pictures taken with my other two lenses on my camera are fine; however, I do not have a second Canon camera to test then lens on to confirm that I can duplicate the problem.

The cost to replace this lens with a used one via ebay is about $800. The cost of the newer, current model is about twice that. It's going to be a lot better for me to pay to have it repaired.

What I have decided to do is to send the lens to United Camera (unitedcamera.com) to have it repaired for $280. I did what research I could on the company and feel that I will get good service from them.

rhs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2016 15:22 |  #10

Follow up:

United Camera returned the lens to me, just the same as Canon did, stating that it is past it's service life. (I bought the lens new in 2001.)

Right now I am not going to pay the approx. $1,800 (USD) to purchase a new replacement so I am left without a mid-range lens - which is what I use the most. I am now looking for a good quality replacement that is more affordable than a Canon L lens but that still produces excellent quality pictures....

As for the lens itself, I will list it on ebay with a clear description of what the problem is and will include sample photographs.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 23, 2016 15:39 as a reply to  @ rhs's post |  #11

You could just go for the first 24-70L for probably less than 1k

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 23, 2016 16:12 |  #12

I recently had my EF 28-70 2.8 L lens w/out IS AF motor repaired, so maybe Midwest camera (Detroit) would look at yours.
734-285-2220.
repairs@midwestcamera.​com

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2016 18:04 |  #13

Or, replace it with the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC that TS mentioned earlier. That one came out of the stable strongly and is a very good lens.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Jeff ­ Donald
39 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 24, 2016 02:21 |  #14

rhs wrote in post #17945966 (external link)
Follow up:

United Camera returned the lens to me, just the same as Canon did, stating that it is past it's service life. (I bought the lens new in 2001.)

Right now I am not going to pay the approx. $1,800 (USD) to purchase a new replacement so I am left without a mid-range lens - which is what I use the most. I am now looking for a good quality replacement that is more affordable than a Canon L lens but that still produces excellent quality pictures....

As for the lens itself, I will list it on ebay with a clear description of what the problem is and will include sample photographs.

This is a known issue with this lens and several others of the same era. The glue used to cement two of the elements reacted to UV and yellowed over time, creating the hazy look to the images. There are several YouTube videos that address this issue. Because of the lack of parts, most repair agencies won't touch it. The home remedy is to unglue the elements, clean the elements and re-glue them. Not for the faint of heart.

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by lvph2.

Mar 25, 2016 18:35 |  #15

I've never taken apart a lens like that. But, I do mess with watch crystals. And, I have seen different things happen depending on the glass, coatings, etc.

These are the options I would try if it were a watch crystal.

1 - clean/polish glass with something abrasive, but not enough to scratch the glass. Comet cleaner or just water and baking soda comes to mind. recoating is probably not possible I assume.

2 - Buy a damaged lens that has good glass. Remove the element you need. Done.

EDIT - After seeing the post about the glued elements, that seems pretty easy from my expertise with watches. But, my question would be, what glue do you need to use that will not compromise image quality?

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

sponsored links

10,789 views & 7 likes for this thread
Canon service says my L lens is too old to repair. Any suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.