Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma USB Dock - Experiences?

asr10user
166 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 15, 2016 14:15 |  #1

So I thought my recently purchased used Sigma 35mm Art was great and had no issues...... until I took the thing out and realized how bad focusing was at far distances.

I am now looking at buying the USB dock to calibrate myself, but am worried about spending hours with no real resolution.

Does anyone have horror stories about spending hours and still having the same focusing problems?

And does anyone have positive experiences in which the dock totally solved their problems?

6D, 50mm Art
G7, 14-42mm, 25mm 1.7, 42.5mm 1.7

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 15, 2016 14:42 |  #2

Are there dock horror stories? It's not that bad to perform. Instead of doing an adjustment at a single distance like you would for in-camera MFA, you'll perform the exercise at 4 different distances. Follow Sigma's instructions or use another method like dot tune, which is what I used.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2016 15:22 |  #3

asr10user wrote in post #17936284 (external link)
Does anyone have horror stories about spending hours and still having the same focusing problems?

And does anyone have positive experiences in which the dock totally solved their problems?

I spent about an hour (maybe a little more) working on my 18-35mm f1.8. But I had m 4 focal lengths, each with several focus distance to do. Once I was done it dialed in the focus perfectly.

asr10user
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 15, 2016 17:06 |  #4

I guess a horror story is someone who spent forever trying to calibrate their camera, only to realize their focus issue cannot be fixed.

6D, 50mm Art

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 15, 2016 18:24 |  #5

Nope, it does indeed work. And for a shortish prime it isn't even very difficult to use.

It is a pain for a a lens like the 120-300 or the 150-600, mainly because you have to calibrate 16 points (4x4 matrix) and all of the long points (8 of them) are at distances that cannot be done indoors. "infinity" really needs a distant target to calibrate for a long telephoto.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

thijs
105 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 16, 2016 06:20 |  #6

I have a 35mm ART and wasn't really pleased with the AF performance.

It wasn't bad, but I felt it should be better. I went ahead and bought the dock. After maybe an hour or two of fiddling with the settings and testing over and over I felt I didn't get the results I wanted so I put the dock away a bit disappointed.

Turns out my lens works like a charm ever since and never looked at the dock again. In fact I wouldn't hesitate buying another Sigma lens knowing the results that can be achieved with the dock.

A bit of a hit and miss / trail and error in my case I guess, but very good results and big improvements are certainly possible!

www.thijsvanluijk.nl (external link)

asr10user
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 16, 2016 10:06 as a reply to  @ thijs's post |  #7

So you actually did adjustments and it wasnt good at the time? Could it just have been the firmware update that helped?

Im having trouble finding a local place in Los Angeles that sells this, might have to order online.

6D, 50mm Art

thijs
105 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by thijs.

Mar 16, 2016 10:10 |  #8

Well I did change the settings (microadjustment I think it's called), but in the very basic test setup (5Dc, so no Live-View etc, used my kitchen table with a bottle of ketchup) that I used I couldn't see a significant improvement at that time. So it seems I did the right corrections after all, but it didn't immediately show.

I get a lot more keepers ever since, anyway.

www.thijsvanluijk.nl (external link)

asr10user
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 25, 2016 09:23 as a reply to  @ thijs's post |  #9

Well I just spent a few hours last night calibrating mine. Just like you I didnt think MA was actually doing anything, I ended up with 0,0,0,-3

Which is pretty surprising, I thought my lens was WAY off. In only about 50 shots ive taken so far, 9/10 actually seem to be hitting focus now, compared to maybe 5-6/10.

Maybe the firmware update was a big help. I'll need to do further testing but so far so good.

Sidenote, I printed a huge 13x19 test chart, also bought a small cheap chart from amazon. But the best thing for the close ranges to test has been a regular computer keyboard.

6D, 50mm Art

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 27, 2016 11:20 |  #10

Works perfectly for me. :-)

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

sponsored links

2,781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma USB Dock - Experiences?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.