Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Mar 2016 (Friday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best 24-70mm?

this thread is locked
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,340 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose. (3 edits in all)

Mar 27, 2016 12:35 |  #31

ebiggs wrote in post #17950633 (external link)
Now for the correct answer, the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II has no peer. It is the best lens in this range ever made. It doesn't matter how others want to spin it. This is the best. Rodger C. is right on this one.

sploo wrote in post #17950672 (external link)
...unless you really would benefit from IS in your style of shooting (it's horses for courses, despite the 24-70II being exceptional)

Yes. People who insist on touting the II as being "the best" don't seem to comprehend the fact it's only the best as far as stabilization isn't important to you. It's the best non-stabilized 24-70.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,503 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (5 edits in all)

Mar 27, 2016 13:01 |  #32

IMHO:

- Price performance leader for an f/2.8 24-70mm is the Tamron VC

- IQ Price leader is the Canon f/4L IS (but f/2.8 is out)

- Best IQ, price is out, IS is out, the Canon f/2.8 MkII. (For some of course, Best IQ is the most cost effective as well.)

Sigma and Tokina really don't play in the numbers here IMHO, as for about the same cost outlay you can get better options.

For many this zoom range is a bread and butter lens, mounted on one body at all times. For me it never was. At one pint I had the "best" the old MkI canon which really had no real competition for a long time in a Canon mount, but it was not as good as any mentioned above, nor did I really need to have the best. (P.S. for controlling lens flare, the older MkI still is the BEST, better even that the MkII)
Anyway, with my limited use of the 24-70mm range, I decided I liked f/2.8, and "IS" so i went Tamron (used, for about $800.00)

Still a nice step up from the Canon L MkI

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,029 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 27, 2016 15:18 |  #33

two lenses that I've waited years for are 24-70L II and 100-400L II. they are both the best made by anyone. period.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 27, 2016 19:21 |  #34

I'll agree with CDS on this one. I recently went through this purchase decision, and ended up with the Tamron 24-70 VC and it is excellent. The VC is very good, the IQ is a vast improvement from my copy of the Canon EF 24-70 Mk I it replaced, and the USD is nearly as quick and just as silent as Canon's USM. I doubt I'll ever notice a real world difference in focus speed during use.

For me, I wanted f2.8. That means the f4's were all out of contention. I already have a 24-105L IS that came with my 5DIII, which will probably be sold now that I know the Tamron is so good.

I wanted IS for low light shooting such as weddings and birthday parties, where I don't necessarily need super fast shutter speeds. That was the main drawback I saw with the 24-70 II.

The kicker for me was that Tamron doubled it's rebate recently to $200, and CPW had a street price $100 off at the same time. So I was out the door, brand new with 6 year warranty for $999.

Price wasn't necessarily a big factor, since I would have most likely bought the 24-70 II as a refurb from Canon whenever it got back in stock, since I had the 24-105 to hold me over until then. In the end though, the benefit of having VC, a longer warranty, very close IQ vs the 24-70L II, similar AF performance, and saving money on top of that meant that the Tamron was the best choice for my bag in the end.

GEAR LIST

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 28, 2016 10:59 |  #35

sploo wrote in post #17950672 (external link)
...unless you really would benefit from IS in your style of shooting (it's horses for courses, despite the 24-70II being exceptional)

I will gladly forgo IS to own and use the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II. This boils down to two groups. People that own and use it and people that don't. The ones that don't, don't know what they are missing or how good this lens is.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

LV ­ Moose
23,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2016 11:15 |  #36

ebiggs wrote in post #17951858 (external link)
I will gladly forgo IS to own and use the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II. This boils down to two groups. People that own and use it and people that don't. The ones that don't, don't know what they are missing or how good this lens is.

I don't think anyone here is denying that the 24-70 II is the best, optically. The single reason I don't own it, is because without IS it would be pretty much unusable for me. I have a Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART that is a beautiful lens, maybe the sharpest I've ever see. I've had it since they first became available, and have used it without a tripod maybe three times.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

ebiggs
638 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 28, 2016 11:22 |  #37

ed rader wrote in post #17950894 (external link)
two lenses that I've waited years for are 24-70L II and 100-400L II. they are both the best made by anyone. period.

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

ebiggs
638 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 28, 2016 11:25 |  #38

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17950747 (external link)
IMHO:

- Price performance leader for an f/2.8 24-70mm is the Tamron VC

- IQ Price leader is the Canon f/4L IS (but f/2.8 is out)

- Best IQ, price is out, IS is out, the Canon f/2.8 MkII. (For some of course, Best IQ is the most cost effective as well.)

Sigma and Tokina really don't play in the numbers here IMHO, as for about the same cost outlay you can get better options.

Best is best. Conditions is conditions. Conditions aside it is the best not the best only if ............;-)a

LV ­ Moose
23,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose.

Mar 28, 2016 11:37 |  #39

And round and round we go. Not having IS is not a condition, it's an attribute of the lens, and it's what makes the 24-70II not the best for some people and some uses.

What's the best car?

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 28, 2016 15:44 |  #40

There's an easy way to get the data you need (assuming you use something like Lightroom) - look at the overall metadata from your images and work out how often you shoot at a focal length/shutter speed combination where IS would have been important.

I went from a 7D + 15-85 (IS) to a 5D3 + 24-70II, and the choice of the lens came down to looking at my Lightroom catalog.

LV Moose wrote in post #17951879 (external link)
I don't think anyone here is denying that the 24-70 II is the best, optically. The single reason I don't own it, is because without IS it would be pretty much unusable for me. I have a Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART that is a beautiful lens, maybe the sharpest I've ever see. I've had it since they first became available, and have used it without a tripod maybe three times.

+1 on the 35A. Case in point though: I don't own it, but I've rented it. It was invaluable on an ultra low light shoot (bonfire/fireworks) where I was wide open at ISO 12800 on the 5D3, trying to hold a shutter speed that would allow me to get decent shots of people. IS wouldn't have helped, and I was at a (realistic) quality limit in terms of ISO on the body. Equally - I've just picked up a 16-35 f/4 IS (it was on offer); specifically for the IS (so I can do low light / no tripod allowed indoor castles and stately homes). All horses for courses. No one lens is best.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

LV ­ Moose
23,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose.

Mar 28, 2016 16:07 |  #41

sploo wrote in post #17952185 (external link)
+1 on the 35A. Case in point though: I don't own it, but I've rented it. It was invaluable on an ultra low light shoot (bonfire/fireworks) where I was wide open at ISO 12800 on the 5D3, trying to hold a shutter speed that would allow me to get decent shots of people. IS wouldn't have helped, and I was at a (realistic) quality limit in terms of ISO on the body. Equally - I've just picked up a 16-35 f/4 IS (it was on offer); specifically for the IS (so I can do low light / no tripod allowed indoor castles and stately homes). All horses for courses. No one lens is best.

I also recently purchased the 16-35 f/4 IS, and used it a couple weeks ago in a scenario you mentioned (bonfire). There being a group of people, using the 35 ART wide open wouldn't have worked because I needed more DoF, and the slow SS due to a smaller aperture would've made for blurry pictures because of no stabilization. The Canon 24-70 II would have suffered under the same circumstances, where as the Tamron 24-70 VC would have worked.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 28, 2016 16:18 |  #42

LV Moose wrote in post #17952210 (external link)
I also recently purchased the 16-35 f/4 IS, and used it a couple weeks ago in a scenario you mentioned (bonfire). There being a group of people, using the 35 ART wide open wouldn't have worked because I needed more DoF, and the slow SS due to a smaller aperture would've made for blurry pictures because of no stabilization. The Canon 24-70 II would have suffered under the same circumstances, where as the Tamron 24-70 VC would have worked.

Yea, (needing more) DOF is the killer when it comes to the advantages of a fast lens. With the shoot I did using the 35A I had to stick to single subjects, or groups that were nicely in line with the plane of the sensor. If I need IS on a lens <50mm (i.e. shutter speed much under 1/50s) then I tend to need a pretty stationary subject; kids don't tend to hang around for a 1/20s shutter speed :-)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lyndön.

Mar 28, 2016 16:23 |  #43

I wonder how many 24-70 II owners have ever used or really researched the Tamron to see just how good and close to the Canon it is. I'm not saying it beats or matches the Canon optically, but it's very close under the same conditions. Just as the Tamron is superior for other things such as low light shooting, video, and other situations where the VC becomes a very useful tool to have. "Best" is relative, of course, because different people have different needs. Canon glass used to be far superior to third party glass in most cases, but Tamron and Sigma have stepped up their game significantly in recent years, and that's no longer the case for many of their recent offerings.

The thing that many of us who have the Tamron have decided is:

A) there simply is not a big enough difference in IQ between the lenses to make a difference, to us, under ideal conditions.

B) there "is" a big difference in IQ when shooting handheld in low light (slow or non-moving subjects), due to the fact that VC lets us get that same great image quality in a much larger variety of situations. If you have to shoot your 24-70 II at 2-3 stops higher ISO vs the Tammy to achieve a sharp image, then you lose any IQ advantage it had to begin with. *The VC in this Tamron is excellent and rivals anything I've used from Canon, which includes the new 70-200 II*

C) if you shoot video, VC is a great feature. I'm sure this conversation may have gone a completely different direction if it had been asked as "best 24-70 for video".

So the best tool for shooting stills of test charts is clearly the Canon. The best tool for shooting stills (and video) across a wide variety of situations is maybe not the Canon. ;-)a

GEAR LIST

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by sploo.

Mar 28, 2016 16:39 |  #44

Lyndön wrote in post #17952232 (external link)
I wonder how many 24-70 II owners have ever used or really researched the Tamron ...

Very good post. I did personally do quite a bit of research (including using both lenses), but your point about quality vs shutter speed is very true - if you're struggling to hold a good shutter speed (such that there's some movement blur) then that's going to totally negate any optical advantage the lens had.

Your comment about video is a good one too. Ironically, since finding how good the video AF is on the 80D I was thinking that a possible upgraded 5D should have the same (Dual Pixel AF), and therefore the possibility of using the IS on the 16-35 for video was another factor in me purchasing that lens (I've got to self-justify my GAS somehow, anyway ;-)a).

Like I said though: the easy way to work out what works best for "you" is to look at your portfolio of shots. If most of your slower shutter speeds are tripod shots (where you'd use a tripod regardless), and otherwise you're above the 1/focal length rule of thumb, then IS (at that focal length) is probably not critical. Factoring in "am I going to use it for video?" is a good additional thought though.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2016 17:23 |  #45

Lyndön wrote in post #17952232 (external link)
I wonder how many 24-70 II owners have ever used or really researched the Tamron...

I wonder how many Tamron 24-70mm VC owners have ever used (for extended periods of time) the Canon II lens.

I used the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC for two years at a major studio, I ordered it for them based on raving reviews. What a giant hassle. That warranty is meaningless with a 7 month turnaround time on repairs (could have been a parts supply issue at the time, front element popped right off, was held in by glue, Roger Cicala covered this issue in depth). Still couldn't focus worth a damn in low-light when we got it back. Unless you try multiple copies, don't even bother. What's sharpness and IS matter if the image isn't in focus or you have to manually focus?

Also, it wasn't that sharp (had to stop down to f/8). Maybe we got a really bad copy. Try multiple copies instead of trusting reviews on it.

The 24-70mm f/2.8L II is a wedding/photojournalis​t's professional tool. It is the most boring, most reliable lens in my toolkit now. If you want a lens that you will use around the clock every day for 10 years, get the Canon II. If you want a lens to bring out for vacations and manually focus at night with, get the Tamron.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links

14,030 views & 44 likes for this thread
What is the best 24-70mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.