Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 26 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to shoot car trails near NYC?

puggle
314 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 26, 2016 17:09 |  #1

Does anyone know a good spot to shoot car trail lights in the NY/NJ metro area?

Puggle
---------
Canon 1DXmkII, 5DmkIII & 7Dmk1, Sony A7rII, PhaseOne 645DF+D

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,216 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2016 06:32 |  #2

puggle wrote in post #17949803 (external link)
Does anyone know a good spot to shoot car trail lights in the NY/NJ metro area?

Seriously?

Man, with the traffic there is in that area I would think you'd have your choice of thousands of good places.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,204 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2016 06:42 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #17950378 (external link)
Seriously?

HA, agreed!

Just walk outside your hotel room and you'll find car and foot traffic within seconds!

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 27, 2016 10:25 |  #4

I bet the poster is looking for a special spot with awesome background or for ground. Street scenes are boring. Traffic outside your building has been done a million times.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,216 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2016 10:39 |  #5

ericcrazyman wrote in post #17950569 (external link)
I bet the poster is looking for a special spot with awesome background or for ground. Street scenes are boring. Traffic outside your building has been done a million times.

.....but car light trails are so new and unique. -?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,204 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2016 13:17 |  #6

ericcrazyman wrote in post #17950569 (external link)
Street scenes are boring. Traffic outside your building has been done a million times.

everything in photography has been done "a million times" every photogenic scenery in New York has been done "a million times"

"boring" is subjective!

puggle
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2016 11:19 |  #7

1. Yes, it's been done a million times, but I've never shot one and wanted to try. So has photographing El Capitan, or Arches, but people still go there and enjoy photographing them, right?

2. I don't plan on renting a hotel room in NYC to do this. I live in central NJ and I'm pretty sure there are photographers here that know great locations in this area, that have views of traffic locations that would be great to photograph, and are happy to help. And, offer no judgmental criticism of my intention to try.

3. Yes, I'm looking for a good spot with a good background. Thank you!

4. Car trails are not unique. Boring. Done a million times. So, we should ban all photography of car trails from now on, because you're all right, it's not unique.

5. What's the purpose of this Forum? Share knowledge or be ridiculed?

6. I'm not looking to win any awards, or get pats on the back for shooting brilliant photographs. I just want to learn, enjoy photography, and try things I have not done before. Am I in the wrong forum for that?

Puggle
---------

puggle
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2016 11:20 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #8

What is this forum for?

Puggle
---------

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,182 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 28, 2016 11:33 |  #9

puggle wrote in post #17951891 (external link)
What is this forum for?

The forums are for learning and sharing about photography; but, it IS on the internet and you're always going to get a few folks that aren't particularly helpful. One thing you may want to do is duck over into the automotive discussion forums. The actual "car guys" might be able to give you a few more, useful pointers. Don't let a few folks push you away from the overall crew here, man.

I'd also suggest that you post these types of questions in the Discussion forums rather than the photo sharing forums; that will tend to get better responses, as well. I know nothing at all of the area really, but I'd start with some purely iconic places and then sort out your own "special" locations later. Times Square, etc...or, if NY/NJ have any major interchanges, with skylines in the b/g, go shoot those. The I-5/I-90 interchange here in Seattle is one of the most heavily photographed locations in the state; e.g this shot from Wikipedia (external link)

Good luck,
-E

PS. Will request a Mod move this to the discussion forums for ya

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

puggle
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by puggle.

Mar 28, 2016 11:36 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #10

Thanks, good advise and greatly appreciated.

Please forgive for posting in the wrong section, that was my error.

Puggle
---------

vilimo
527 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 28, 2016 11:56 |  #11

A couple locations came to mind. First one is Times Square on top of the stairs (above the ticket counters) and second is near the Flatiron building (you can have either the Flatiron bldg or Empire state as the background). Good luck!!! :D

puggle
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2016 13:33 as a reply to  @ vilimo's post |  #12

Thanks! Good idea! I'm thinking, something more along a highway, interchange or clover leaf, so that you see lots of lights around curves.

I also thought the Helix by the Lincoln Tunnel might be a good spot, but I don't know exactly where I can do this.

Open to specific locations, if you or anyone knows one

Puggle
---------

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2016 15:08 |  #13

Lincoln tunnel helix is hard because most of the curve is elevated. No surprisingly, close access is going to be hard and if you have a lot of gear its going to be hard not looking suspicious, especially with the recent world events.

On the lincoln map, I identified two areas which are elevated enough so that you can get shots of cars. the "nice houses" should actually be alittle more to the left. I accidentally put it on the riverfront properties. I havent been up there myself, and assume that the best views are in some rich people's yards, so you might not have access, but would give you the best vantage for sunset/dusk and car trails. The "cliff" site in weekhauken looks down on the entire helix. the "soccer field" is for the high school. there may be some pedestrian access around there.

George Washington has no curves, but some interesting vantage point. "palisades park" is a park leading from the cliff to the river edge with a road that goes through it (henry hudson drive). You can get some nice under the bridge shots. morning sunrise could be included with cars from the right angle. "high rises" are some buidlings that have to have a great view of traffic. Wont see much from ground level. GW brdige also has a bike path so you could just walk out and shoot some close ups.

From new york side, I do not know the fort washington area well enough to help. I used to live on top of the lincoln tunnel entrance. again need access to bulding and you would be getting more looking down on traffic shots. (i used to get calls to give live traffic updates and best way to approach the tunnel).

Just depends on what you are looking for, but there are definitely some shots to be had.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

puggle
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2016 17:47 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #14

Thank you! Excellent, and I appreciate this.

I like the Lincoln Tunnel idea, and it may be worth a scouting trip to that area. Perhaps somewhere from Park Ave., above, looking down at the helix.

I'm not sure about the GW bridge, though. A good friend has photographed it a lot from the Jersey side, and I never saw a shot that I liked. It's just a tough area, the entrance is congested with roads, and it will be hard to find a good, safe place to setup and shoot from. Down below, there's no view for car trails. I am familiar with it, living in NJ and have driven over the bridge hundreds of times. It would be very tough to photograph from on top the bridge, the vibration will prevent any long exposures from working out. I've shot a lot from waling accross the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, and the vibration is too much for long exposures.

I will look into the Lincoln tunnel helix shot as a possibility.

Much appreciated, thanks for your thoughts and generosity in researching the area. So kind of you to do so.

You redeemed my faith that there are decent people here on POTN willing to share information.

Puggle
---------

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2016 18:13 as a reply to  @ puggle's post |  #15

good luck and post any nice shots!

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sponsored links

4,913 views & 9 likes for this thread
Where to shoot car trails near NYC?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.