Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Mar 2016 (Sunday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crop and FF ramblings

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,721 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 28, 2016 21:28 |  #16

I believe, as with film, larger formats and pixel sites are an advantage.
As photographic technology improves that advantage will perhaps diminish somewhat.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,271 posts
Gallery: 373 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 28, 2016 21:38 |  #17

Tapeman wrote in post #17952715 (external link)

Advantage and disadvantages.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2016 09:08 |  #18

Tapeman wrote in post #17952715 (external link)
As photographic technology improves that advantage will perhaps diminish somewhat.

It comes in waves now. If you look at it as read noise per unit of sensor area, big pixels usually lower it first, and then tomorrow's small pixels catch up with or surpass it. In the future, when photon-counting sensors are used, there will be zero benefit to large pixels, except for smaller files and burst speeds.

chexjc
293 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by chexjc. (2 edits in all)

Mar 30, 2016 08:32 |  #19

ebiggs wrote in post #17951852 (external link)
That is the BS that some push or want you to think. You can't use a 6D for sports or you can't use a 7D for landscapes. Right! It's nonsense. You as the photographer are more important to success than the gear you use.
My .02 cents and worth every penny. ;-)a

You are right and wrong. It's not BS when some push for one format over another with the subject in mind -- that makes a lot of sense. However, you can of course photograph whatever you want with whichever camera you please and, as you stated, the photographer is always going to be more important than the gear they use.

Personally, as someone who shot a variety of subjects (portraits, landscapes, sports, etc.) with a crop-sensor and then shot the same variety of subjects with a full frame camera, I would still recommend the full frame in 9 out of 10 scenarios. Generally speaking you get better resolution, dynamic range, low-light performance, a nicer viewfinder, and color/contrast rendition. Also generally speaking, the auto-focus performance of a modern FX camera is going to be sufficient for most needs. The real benefit of crop-sensors is the cost/quality war. There is undoubtedly an amazing lineup of crop-sensor glass that is extremely affordable by comparison. The only time I ever grabbed my crop-sensor was when I absolutely needed the extra reach, which wasn't often.

Canon 6D x2 | 17-40L | Sigma 35 ART | 50mm f1.8 STM | 85mm f1.8 | 135L
Website (external link) | Instagram (external link) | flickr (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2016 09:54 |  #20

chexjc wrote in post #17954518 (external link)
You are right and wrong. It's not BS when some push for one format over another with the subject in mind -- that makes a lot of sense. However, you can of course photograph whatever you want with whichever camera you please and, as you stated, the photographer is always going to be more important than the gear they use.

Personally, as someone who shot a variety of subjects (portraits, landscapes, sports, etc.) with a crop-sensor and then shot the same variety of subjects with a full frame camera, I would still recommend the full frame in 9 out of 10 scenarios. Generally speaking you get better resolution, dynamic range, low-light performance, a nicer viewfinder, and color/contrast rendition. Also generally speaking, the auto-focus performance of a modern FX camera is going to be sufficient for most needs. The real benefit of crop-sensors is the cost/quality war. There is undoubtedly an amazing lineup of crop-sensor glass that is extremely affordable by comparison. The only time I ever grabbed my crop-sensor was when I absolutely needed the extra reach, which wasn't often.

Then your 9 out of 10 doesn't work for people who are almost always focal-length-limited. Before cameras like the D800 and 5Ds which came out at a time when they had the same pixel density as the manufacturers' best crop cameras, total pixel counts were closer for FF and crop DSLRs. To me, because there are bandwidth/data limitations, this seems like a good temporary situation as we await faster processing. IOW, use a denser, smaller sensor as a better alternative to the TC. The elephant in the room that many people ignore is that there seems to be a limit to usable PD AF at about f/8; that means that if you use the larger sensor with the larger pixels, you get less pixels on subject with the AF limit. That is MAJOR; that is why I want a 10fps EOS body with a 20MP 1" sensor and f/8 AF! That, to me, would be progress; not regression.

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 30, 2016 09:56 |  #21

chexjc wrote in post #17954518 (external link)
... the photographer is always going to be more important than the gear they use.

... you get better resolution, dynamic range, low-light performance, a nicer viewfinder, and color/contrast rendition.

The problem with claiming this is, you probably bought a better camera. The trend in FF is mostly a more advanced camera with the best stuff engineered in it. Even the "entry" level 6D is pretty advanced. Especially for a bottom rung camera. Generally speaking the newest offering from Canon makes great images.

I contend it is pixel size more than sensor size that determines the "better" you are seeing. The term "crop sensor" was coined as a naming convention, more than an accurate description.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

sponsored links

5,417 views & 5 likes for this thread
Crop and FF ramblings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.