Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Feb 2016 (Wednesday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much MacBook Pro do I need?

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 24, 2016 12:08 |  #31

Bleufire wrote in post #17911068 (external link)
Not sure if you have seen this yet but:
http://buyersguide.mac​rumors.com/#Mac (external link)

Kinda gives you a rough timeline of when things release with Apple or how current a model is.

DON'T BUY :D

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links
Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 24, 2016 13:10 |  #32

idkdc wrote in post #17911070 (external link)
DON'T BUY :D

New? Yeah, probably better not to buy and wait for a new model around to corner to appear.

Refurb? Depending on the price I don't see a reason why not.

I wouldn't buy a Macbook Pro at all at this point at all. It hasn't been updated since 2012. My nephew bought one in Dec 14' and he didn't ask me about this and was under the impression he was buying the new one without understanding the tech inside was 3+ years old. He was bummed when I pulled up the system info and it said in big bold letters "June 2012"

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 24, 2016 14:24 |  #33

I hear y'all  :p Like I said, if they're announced in March and on sale in April, I'll probably go with the new gen. If not, though, I'll probably go with a 2015 13" refurb. I think it would still be more than enough for my needs.

Fuji X-T3
Chris Greig Photography (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 24, 2016 16:20 |  #34

You'll enjoy a new MBP. I'm following your thread in hopes of learning how to upgrade to a newer computer in the future. I'm getting by with a late 2008 MBP, 250gb hard drive with 4gb (yep) of ram. Far too slow for your purposes, I'd image.

In terms of your hard drive, consider storing your raw images on an external. It's not inconvenient at all. I recently moved mine to an external drive (and backed up on a second), but I can still edit and/or publish any of the ~13,000 images without connecting to the external drive thanks to LR's Smart Previews.

Regarding PS and setting up your internal drive, check out minute 2:35 on this https://www.youtube.co​m …bj1Jal2Q&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

good luck.

flickr (external link)

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 24, 2016 19:51 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #35

Just to avoid confusion... there used to be a "MacBook" (that wasn't a "MacBook Pro") and that was the base laptop. One by one, the MacBook Pro's started becoming "Retina" MacBook Pros. The "Retina MacBook Pro" is updated pretty much regularly, but they left one non-Retina display model and that model basically replaces the old "MacBook" (non-Pro) and the new base model. That's the machine that hasn't been updated in a few years. The "Retina" MacBook Pros are not that old (but still they're at the point where they're probably about to be updated.)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 23:46 |  #36

I will simply ad this. A friend made this point and I took it to heart.

"If you want a new Mac, buy it new when new." Simple as that.

Any other way and your getting either last years model and daydream it was newer from the time you buy it.
Or awaiting a mythical 'next computer' that doesn't exist yet.

I took his advice, and got the iPhone 6S 2 days after it was released, no more dead battery at 4pm I'm happy form days 1. :D

If you want a new computer today, order one form B&H, free shipping too.
Or if you can wait for the new spring releases, then buy one as soon as available.
And enjoy it.

Max it out if that's what you want. I bought a 3rd party 240Gb SSD for my Mac Air and now it's much easier to manage space.
I didn't order a 512Gb and I don't regret that.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 10, 2016 08:07 as a reply to  @ InfiniteDivide's post |  #37

Good points all!

I have decided at this point that I'm going to await the release of the new one...partly because I spent a bit of my computer budget on an upgrade to a 5D3 :-D so now i'll be rebuilding my computer budget, which will time it about right with the release of the new generation.

Fuji X-T3
Chris Greig Photography (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2016 12:13 as a reply to  @ grazamataz's post |  #38

I'm right with you right now. Paying attention to help my mom upgrade her 2010 MBP because hers is starting to freak out, screen is getting weird stripes intermittently, and am really hoping they release a new one this Spring.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 10, 2016 19:17 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #39

Apple just sent out the announcement about the announcement. ;-)a

They'll be announcing something... on March 21.

BTW, I think it was last March when they did the Mac announcements -- so probably you're getting your wish.

BJ_Nguyen
409 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 13, 2016 21:47 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #40

just ordered the MacPro 15 But I'm gonna cancel it tomorrow ! Thank You for the Infos :)

nopiston
58 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by nopiston.

Mar 31, 2016 09:43 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #41

Bleufire, slight thread hijack, but check her 2010 MBP against the list from Apple about the free main board/video card fix. Had my 2011 done under that a few months ago through my local Mac store (similar symptoms). Thought I was going to have to replace the computer, but I'm in the clear again for a while...and free is the best price!

Canon 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.4 | 2x III Extender
Feedback

sponsored links

8,468 views & 10 likes for this thread
How much MacBook Pro do I need?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.