Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2016 (Sunday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for advice on Hawaii trip

windpig
Chopped liver
15,005 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2016 09:24 |  #46

I don't even leave stuff in my car is Seattle, not at all.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links
TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 02, 2016 09:29 |  #47

t5Nitro wrote in post #17958096 (external link)
There are a lot of folks online that say vandalism to your rental car is common on the road to Hana. Are there any places to avoid specifically or just leave nothing in your car and keep the windows rolled down? I can only imagine what a rental company would charge for those damages.

It's been a few years but we didn't experience that. We don't leave anything visible in the passenger compartment other than the occasional water bottle, though.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Brasher. (2 edits in all)

Apr 02, 2016 09:59 |  #48

I don't know if you have already grabbed your tickets, but my fiance and I both signed up for the AmEx Delta Gold card with 60,000 bonus miles. Long stroy short, we were PAID $14 dollars to book two tickets to Hawaii worth over $2200. There is a $1000 minimum spend, but as long as you only purchase items you would have to purchase anyway you're set.

It's an invitation offer. Otherwise the standard sign up bonus is the normal 30,000miles.

Our tickets were 62,500 miles each. Our trip is ATL-OGG-HNL-ATL

Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 05, 2016 22:46 |  #49

Do yourself a favor; If you go for a rental, splurge on the convertible. I'm normally too cheap to upgrade, but it was worth it. The only time we had the top up was when we parked for the night.

My blog (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,609 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 06, 2016 07:15 |  #50

Agreed! We did the same, first time was a convertible Mustang, second was a Jeep with the top off!

Crimzon wrote in post #17962286 (external link)
Do yourself a favor; If you go for a rental, splurge on the convertible. I'm normally too cheap to upgrade, but it was worth it. The only time we had the top up was when we parked for the night.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

t5Nitro
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 27, 2016 12:04 |  #51

Hey all, I've been a bit remiss with life events. I appreciate the feedback. I think we've switched gears a bit and will be booking a trip to Kauai by the end of this week. We've decided the scenic and less touristy island appealing. I hope I can get some really nice pics on the Napali coast and Waimea Canyon.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,005 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 27, 2016 16:27 |  #52

You should have a great time.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

t5Nitro
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by t5Nitro.

May 08, 2016 14:46 |  #53

Is it worth renting another lens? I've got the 24-70L (first gen) and non-L 100mm macro. I'd like to take both, but I'm not sure how much I should be carrying around with me. It's been so long since I've even used that camera I will most likely just shoot in automatic mode. I know I do need to buy a new memory card. I've only got a 4gb card which is full at 150 count. I know I'll take a lot more than that.

jamesepoop
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2016

May 22, 2016 05:34 |  #54

24-70 should be wide enough for most scenic areas and switching to the 100mm for some nature seems good to go. Anything else worth carrying seems like too much trouble (in my experience). I've carried 30 lbs of gear on 10 mile hikes before and would probably recommend against it unless it was your job. I didn't have time to use all the lenses I had. If you need something specific for animals or birds, a 70-200 might do, but be warned, that's an extra 4 lbs.

Just keep it simple on the gear and enjoy the time with your family. That's what matters most.

sponsored links

10,077 views & 16 likes for this thread
Looking for advice on Hawaii trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.