Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Mar 2016 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Removing shadows caused by vertical flash

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 31, 2016 11:15 |  #1

Well I learned an important thing about shooting with my new flash last night, shadows caused by shooting vertical. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2016 11:29 |  #2

In post or in camera? In camera you would have to use a fill light.

In post use curves to bring the shadows up so it matches the rest of the exposure. Then invert and use a layer mask to blend it in.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2016 11:55 |  #3

You could just replace the block wall with something else.

Mark

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 31, 2016 12:13 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #4

Yeah I'm leaning towards taking the wall out. The curves, invert, mask thing is something I'm not too familiar with. I just tried masking the people and objects, but the edges were a bit harsh or not perfect. It seems either way I'm going have to do some learning here.

My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

rrblint
22,237 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 31, 2016 12:30 |  #5

Piece of cake, took 5 minutes. Hope you don't mind, Ill remove if you do.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by kirkt.

Mar 31, 2016 13:01 |  #6

Here is one approach to eliminate (or de-emphasize) the shadows and the cast of the wall. I sis not edit the subjects in the image.

The shadow area of the wall has a different color and lightness than the lit part of the wall. This begs for isolation and neutralizing in Lab. Before the switch into Lab, I made a mask of the subjects by combining the R and G channels of the original image in overlay mode - the goal is to increase contrast between the darker subjects and the lighter background. Then, you can paint on this grayscale image with the paint brush, in OVERLAY brush mode to make darks darker (with black paint) and light lighter (with white paint) further separating the subjects from the background. You can use a levels adjustment on the mask to further separate the subjects and background. The mask is shown on the first attached image as the thumbnail labeled "mask."

The L, a and b channels of the Lab version of the image are also shown on the composite. As you can see, the shadow is well-defined in all three channels. Using the mask to isolate the background, you can sample the lit wall grayscale value in the a and b channels and paint with that gray on the shadow area to bring the color of the shadow into agreement with the color of the lit wall. The L channel, where all the detail lives, can be edited using the clone tool with the mask active, so that cloning into the image only occurs on the wall and does not bleed into the subjects.

Once you get all of this done, you now have control over how much of the shadow you want to remove - removing all of it looks a little fake, so I left some in.

Composite that back into the original and tala daaa!

Kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

groundloop
980 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by groundloop.

Mar 31, 2016 13:05 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #7

Here's a good resource to learn about lighting:

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/2006/03/lightin​g-101.html (external link)

In general, direct flash from on-camera is not the greatest. One thing you can easily do to improve your flash photography is to bounce the flash off a white ceiling or wall, and additionally (when you're bouncing your flash) you can put an index card or business card on the flash head with a rubber band so that a bit of light is thrown forward as fill.

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 31, 2016 15:03 as a reply to  @ groundloop's post |  #8

Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone. I'll play with each one. As far as bouncing the flash I couldn't. The ceiling was about 35' above me and all black. It was my first time using my new Canon 600 flash, my first external flash in over 20 years. So I learned a big lesson here for sure. Thanks again.

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 31, 2016 15:22 |  #9

Can you explain this a wee bit more and maybe show me your channels? I went into lab mode, selected the background area. Here's where I'm at right now, I read what you said below, but this is all new to me so it's confusing.

kirkt wrote in post #17955973 (external link)
The L, a and b channels of the Lab version of the image are also shown on the composite. As you can see, the shadow is well-defined in all three channels. Using the mask to isolate the background, you can sample the lit wall grayscale value in the a and b channels and paint with that gray on the shadow area to bring the color of the shadow into agreement with the color of the lit wall.

HOSTED PHOTO

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 31, 2016 16:35 as a reply to  @ socalrailfan's post |  #10

I will put together a little tutorial tonight and post it here.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,412 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2016 17:02 |  #11

maverick75 wrote in post #17955878 (external link)
In post or in camera? In camera you would have to use a fill light.

Fill lights WILL NOT fill in shadows and make them vanish, that only alleviates a bit of the contrast of the shadow, but it will always remain visible in the photo.

A professional would have either...

• position an off-camera flash up higher so that shadows 'fall behind' the subjects so they are not visible to the lens
  • use a LARGER apparent source size, via good size softbox or use ceiling bounce

Never ever use a flash which is off to the side of the lens axis, when you have subjects close near the wall behind.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

groundloop
980 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 31, 2016 18:57 |  #12

kirkt wrote in post #17956193 (external link)
I will put together a little tutorial tonight and post it here.

Kirk

I'm in danger of learning something.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by kjonnnn. (2 edits in all)

Apr 03, 2016 14:31 |  #13

If you're going to try to remove the shadow in post, you really don't have to do anything too complicated.

The easiets away is to select the man and woman to protect them, and use the and clone on the non-shadowed portion of the wall. You dont even need to do a complete selection, but just enough on the side that has the shadow.

- I used the pen tool (every one should learn it, its the best and most versatile selection method) to select each side of the individuals. I inversed the selection (which would exclude the people) to the protect the people. (I could have done the opposite ... select everything but the people.

- I then used the clone tool to clone the lit part of the wall, onto the shadowed wall that I want to get rid off. You can do this nondestructively by doing this on a blank layer. In this instance, the wall is simple with a simple pattern and pretty evenly lit.

Took about 5 minutes. (I could have taken more time to make it more precise, but this was just a demo for show)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1053.photobuck​et.com …lesoldier_zpsz4​yjs9oy.jpg (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by kjonnnn.

Apr 03, 2016 14:35 |  #14

Just my thought, don't be overly concerned about shadows. That concern is usually only found on photography forums. Check magazine images, and you'll see many images with shadows. Many times a lack of some type of shadow makes the image look like a bad photoshop composite.

rrblint
22,237 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 03, 2016 18:29 |  #15

kjonnnn wrote in post #17959416 (external link)
If you're going to try to remove the shadow in post, you really don't have to do anything too complicated.

The easiers away it select the man and woman to protect them, and use the and clone the non-shadowed portion of the wall. You dont even need to do a complete selection, but just enough on the side of the shadow.

- I used the pen tool (every one should learn it, its the best and most versatile selection method) to select each side other individuals. I inversed the selection to the protect the people. (I could have done the opposite ... select everthing but the people.

- I used the clone to clone the lit part of the wall, onto the shadowed wall that I want to get rid off. You can do this nondestructively but doing this on a blank layer. In this instance the wall is simple, with a simple pattern and pretty evenly lit.

Took about 5 minutes. (I could have taken more time to make it more precise, but this was just a demo for show)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s1053.photobuck​et.com …dier_zpsz4yjs9o​y.jpg.html  (external link)

You missed the shadow of the flag.

Mark

sponsored links

6,198 views & 14 likes for this thread
Removing shadows caused by vertical flash
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.