Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 28, 2016 02:38 as a reply to  @ post 17951171 |  #1546

I also remember Elv saying that the manufacturer did not approve of charging while in use.

I've noted my charger being pretty hot at times even without adding extra simultaneous drain. An extra/spare battery might be safer.

sponsored links
Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Brad999.

Apr 02, 2016 10:40 |  #1547

agv8or wrote in post #17941597 (external link)
The X1-c is a TTL radio trigger from Godox that is part of their new 2.4G TTL wireless system. http://www.amazon.com …&s=merchant-items&sr=1-18 (external link)

The CFn 00 is a custom function in the X1 that allows you to delay the FP HSS signal to optimize the long flash duration, of a flash using Faux HSS. Like the Rovelight.

If you use the X1-c you do not need any cables or receivers you just put the transmitter, that comes with the Rovelight, in the hot shoe of the X1-c and your done.

With the X1-c you also have the whole inventory of flash products from Godox to choose from should you ever decide to expand your flash setup.

Crap, I didn't read your post closely enough, and the link you gave me was for the X1 T instead of the C. So I assume I need the C? Argggghhh.

Edit: Now I'm not sure what I have. It says X1 T on it, but on the box it says X1T-C lol

The Rovelight is on backorder for another two weeks, so I won't be able to play with it until then. I can test it on my speed lights though.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 02, 2016 11:23 |  #1548

Brad999 wrote in post #17958174 (external link)
Crap, I didn't read your post closely enough, and the link you gave me was for the X1 T instead of the C. So I assume I need the C? Argggghhh.

Edit: Now I'm not sure what I have. It says X1 T on it, but on the box it says X1T-C lol

The Rovelight is on backorder for another two weeks, so I won't be able to play with it until then. I can test it on my speed lights though.

That is the correct link for the Canon version of the X1 transmitter. X1-C, X1T-C, (X1C-T as they state it) all the same. You're OK as long as you do not shoot a Nikon camera? :-)

Rand

Gear

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2016 11:36 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1549

Perfect! Thanks for following up with me.

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 03, 2016 12:04 |  #1550

PECE Photo wrote in post #17687008 (external link)
Lit this with the rove this week. Client liked it and will be more to come in the series. Rove been working like a champ for months now. Doesn't miss a beat.
[gorgeous red car photo]

Beautiful! Would love to know the modifier and setup used for this, if you care to share. :-)

abiciriderback
169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 03, 2016 14:52 |  #1551

Loving the Rovelights especially combined with the CheetahStand Rice Bowl tried to balance ambient and flash here Rovelight was set at 128 power shot at f4 160sec ISO 160

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Apr 03, 2016 20:43 |  #1552

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17959286 (external link)
Beautiful! Would love to know the modifier and setup used for this, if you care to share. :-)

Thanks.
I have some behind the scenes on my blog here...
http://www.pecephoto.c​om …5-c7-crystal-red-tintcoat (external link)

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2016 21:47 |  #1553

PECE Photo wrote in post #17959798 (external link)
Thanks.
I have some behind the scenes on my blog here...
http://www.pecephoto.c​om …5-c7-crystal-red-tintcoat (external link)

That's cool! It's like a discrete form of light painting!

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,065 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 05, 2016 16:02 |  #1554

if someone could help me out i would appreciate it ..

i'm ready to order .. however i'm not sure what i need all together ..

so i have a stand picked out .. 'im good there.

as i'm looking at the item on adoramas site .. in the "whats in the box" , it states "trs controller",, which obviously would allow for control..
for Hss control it shows the following needed ..

http://www.adorama.com​/FPRRR1PJR.html (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/FPRRR1TRC.html (external link)

i'm assuming i need one of each?

I'm getting the bowens mount,, so i will be adding a bowens mount beauty dish..
i'm using this with a canon 5d3

is there anything else i need to order to make this work together ..?
any help getting me started in the right direction would really be appreciated..i'm new to all of this and am trying to make sure i've got everything coverred..
I hate when i get a new toy and am all exicted to use just to find out i cant because i missed something or ordered wrong:-)

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Brad999. (5 edits in all)

Apr 05, 2016 16:09 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #1555

Get this and you are all set. No wires!

http://www.amazon.com …&s=merchant-items&sr=1-18 (external link)

I bought this exact same setup on the advice of agv8or All you need is a Godox X1-c transmitter ($45). Put the v2 RL600B transmitter in the hot shoe of the X1 transmitter then use CFn 00 (flash sync timing) to optimize the flash exposure form the RL600B in HSS. No cables, no receivers and you can gain about 1 more stop of flash exposure from using flash sync timing in HSS. Works like a charm.

This stand is tried and true with the setup you are purchasing for outdoors.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …KCAy5u2-MsCFZWFaQoddhQPoA (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Apr 06, 2016 14:26 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #1556

+1 to Brad's answer.

Certainly don't go lighter/weaker than his Manfrotto stand/boom combo - even then, the safe boom extension/offset will be modest. I went with a stronger rated boom/stand combination (Kupo's Steel Baby boom - current version has hex flats in the terminal baby pin neck, gratis).

The Rovelight offers Supersync, not pulsing HSS. So on the Rovelight, the 'H' setting forces long duration flashes - unset 'H' when you are not using Supersync. You then need any trigger setup that can be set to deliver an early 'HSS-like' trigger signal. Godox X1s sound brill - I use Odins which similarly offer timing adjustments around the early baseline trigger timing. Some use Yn 622s or Cells IIc without the adjustments.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 06, 2016 14:51 as a reply to  @ Brad999's post |  #1557

This boom that you linked to says that the maximum weight when used a boom is 4.5lbs.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic. (2 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2016 16:27 |  #1558

flowrider wrote in post #17962944 (external link)
This boom that you linked to says that the maximum weight when used a boom is 4.5lbs.

The Impact brand equivalent that I use for holding up the RL-600B and some very large modifiers has the same 4.5lbs rating. But this is specifically for the extreme case of the boom arm fully extended horizontally (which prevents use of counterweight). In normal usage, you probably won't have the boom anywhere near full extension. If you really do need to have a Rovelight extended on a long boom out over a scene, it's true that you will need a heftier stand.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,338 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 06, 2016 18:35 |  #1559

absplastic wrote in post #17963032 (external link)
The Impact brand equivalent that I use for holding up the RL-600B and some very large modifiers has the same 4.5lbs rating. But this is specifically for the extreme case of the boom arm fully extended horizontally (which prevents use of counterweight). In normal usage, you probably won't have the boom anywhere near full extension. If you really do need to have a Rovelight extended on a long boom out over a scene, it's true that you will need a heftier stand.

How long is the boom?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 06, 2016 20:15 |  #1560

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17963135 (external link)
How long is the boom?

Just over 6' extended, more like 4' retracted. Normally, I have about 1.5' of the boom arm extending out the back (with a weight bag) and the other 2.5' sticking out with the light on the end. I don't usually extend the boom arm's inner tube when using it with the rovelight. The rovelight is very heavy compared to a normal strobe head, or even to small AC monolights.

sponsored links

430,634 views & 480 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.