Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 03 Apr 2016 (Sunday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Is This Done?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,704 posts
Gallery: 472 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by SYS.

Apr 03, 2016 12:28 |  #1

My son is a violinist/pianist/voca​list who's really interested in doing something like this:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=U7Vmr6WWeV8 (external link)

Can anyone tell me how is this done? My son's been using this app called "Acapella" that he got from iTunes to accomplish something similar, but he wants to do something with better video and audio qualities. Many thanks in advance.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links
SailingAway
440 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 03, 2016 15:14 |  #2

On the audio side this is near-pro quality multitrack recording and mixing.
On the video it's using some sophisticated editing techniques. Shooting isn't the best, but it isn't bad.

IMO the bar is fairly high. Find other people who are into audio and video?

It's quite possible/probable that the complete audio track was completed in a studio, then, he listened to playback in his headphones while lipsyncing, playing and singing the various parts. This is a common music video approach.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 03, 2016 18:09 |  #3

He lists his arsenal...

Equipment used:
NS Design Electric violin
Apogee Duet
Rode NT1-A
Macbook Pro
Logic Pro
Final Cut

Now all you need is the time, money, and talent to make it happen...

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Gumby1220
333 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 04, 2016 16:15 |  #4

This is multitrack recording just as any music is recorded in a studio setting. Using an audio interface with atleast 2 inputs and outputs. A couple mics and a multi track recording software such as Logic Pro or pro tools. Pro tools being my favorite

6D | T3/1100D | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 50mm f1.8 mkII | EF-S 10-18mm IS STM | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | 600EX-RT | YN-E3-RT | PCB B800 |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,704 posts
Gallery: 472 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 04, 2016 21:36 |  #5

Thank you all for kindly responding. I think this is way over my head. I don't need to do anything fancy, so is there any "simpler" way to accomplish such with just two or three video cameras and as many external audio recorders with any basic PC friendly software?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 04, 2016 22:30 |  #6

The "cheap and easy" way would be to use one camera with a good mic plugged-in to record audio and video for each "instrument" and "voice" track. Then use your video editor to import and sync all the clips, combine the audio tracks, and then select which video tracks you want to use and apply the desired effects (i.e., pip, multicam, cuts, wipes, etc...).

That's not necessarily going to give you the best quality though.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

AlFooteIII
445 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 04, 2016 22:53 |  #7

Just be sure to set down a rock solid beat first, so everything synchs.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

dcforever
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 14, 2016 22:21 |  #8

Cool, I got try some time!

sponsored links

3,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Is This Done?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.