Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2016 (Monday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What brand 120mm scanner do I need

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 04, 2016 13:12 |  #1

I have thousands of 120mm transparencies, and would like to scan them as digital. You would not believe what the local camera wants to scan them. Can anyone suggest a good 120mm transparency scanner that I could purchase? The scanner that I have scanned all of my 120mm negatives. Thanks in advance. Nick.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by maverick75.

Apr 04, 2016 13:31 |  #2

Whats your budget and what quality do you need? Just for web or archical? Making any prints?

The difference is thousands and thousands and thousands. .. So those expensive scans wont sound so expensive if they were using a high end drum scanner.

If you're on a budget the best way is to use your digital camera as a scanner. You'll get better quality than with a sub $800 scanner.
Scanning is one of the most annoying things in the world, I wish I did have the funds to just have a lab do it for me. Im still 3 years behind on scanning.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 04, 2016 13:42 |  #3

The Epson V700 will scan transparencies up to 8x10 inches. I have one and it works well.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2016 14:14 |  #4

maverick75 wrote in post #17960478 (external link)
Whats your budget and what quality do you need? Just for web or archical? Making any prints?

The difference is thousands and thousands and thousands. .. So those expensive scans wont sound so expensive if they were using a high end drum scanner.

If you're on a budget the best way is to use your digital camera as a scanner. You'll get better quality than with a sub $800 scanner.
Scanning is one of the most annoying things in the world, I wish I did have the funds to just have a lab do it for me. Im still 3 years behind on scanning.

I have just started in 120 film and am using a digital camera to scan with. SOOOO much better than my local photo shop could do.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 04, 2016 14:22 |  #5

Using your DSLR is a good idea; see if this will work:

http://petapixel.com …lm-negatives-with-a-dslr/ (external link)

BTW, 120 isn't a dimension (i.e. not 120mm).

Canonuser123
692 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 04, 2016 15:06 |  #6

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17960560 (external link)
I have just started in 120 film and am using a digital camera to scan with. SOOOO much better than my local photo shop could do.

What is your setup for this? I bought a Nikon 55mm f3.5 to use with my Sony ɑ6000 and want to try this, I have a lot of old film shots and hate my Epson V700.

urbanfreestyle
2,060 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2016 15:23 as a reply to  @ Canonuser123's post |  #7

i went with ipad for light source with a sheet of white paper to soften it, then film, then glass from picture frame, and shooting with my A6K and 18-105 f4 G lens. i could probably get a better lens for it. shooting just one frame per negative but on ones i want to edit i'm shooting 4 per frame.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Archibald.

Apr 04, 2016 15:27 |  #8

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17960646 (external link)
i went with ipad for light source with a sheet of white paper to soften it, then film, then glass from picture frame, and shooting with my A6K and 18-105 f4 G lens. i could probably get a better lens for it. shooting just one frame per negative but on ones i want to edit i'm shooting 4 per frame.

Emulsion side down? Glass on top of the shiny side? Do you get Newton rings?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,500 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 04, 2016 15:27 |  #9

I have Epson V500, they are not expensive at all. Scans up to 6x9, fast and will do good job with dust, scratches removal. No additional software is required. The only thing I would recommend for this scanner if thousands of 120 needed to be scanned is better frame from this manufacturer. http://www.betterscann​ing.com/scanning/vb_mf​holder.html (external link)
The Epson made which comes with scanner also works, but it takes some time to get film into it.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Canonuser123
692 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 04, 2016 15:28 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #10

Thanks, I have to try this, I have the 18-105 also and an iPad. I was planning to get a copy stand but it seems that it is not needed.
I have a good scanner for 35mm but only a flatbed for anything larger.

urbanfreestyle
2,060 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2016 15:48 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #11

Can't say i have had any issues with newton rings, It's very cheap picture frame glass so not sure if it is so think it doesn't make a difference haha!

Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 04, 2016 16:31 |  #12

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17960684 (external link)
Can't say i have had any issues with newton rings, It's very cheap picture frame glass so not sure if it is so think it doesn't make a difference haha!

Newton rings are interference patterns that occur when two shiny surfaces are in close contact, and when the air space between those surfaces varies a bit in size across the surface. They are the bane of printers who use glass negative carriers, and for that reason, enlargers usually use glassless neg carriers. Newton rings are not affected by the thickness of the glass (nor by moisture, even if the effect might look a bit watery).

The Newton ring phenomenon is similar to the effect of colored patterns made by thin oil layers on water.

So basically, by putting a glass sheet on the shiny side of the neg, you are most likely creating Newton rings. Sometimes they are subtle and not easily noticed.

There is special anti-Newton ring glass made. But the best way to avoid them is to go glassless.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by TooManyShots.

Apr 04, 2016 16:47 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Your choices are limited. Epson V500, V600, or V700/V750. Or Canon 9000f. They would produce OK results. If you are aftering quality scans, prepare to budget yourself around $2k. Plustek makes a 120 scanner. DSLR scanning is tricky and too many details to work out in order to produce good scans. I DSLR scan my medium format negatives but the process is pretty tedious and slow. I don't mind since all I need is a good macro lens in order to produce sharp scans....the sharpness would rival all Nikon scanners. The DR and shadow details can be tricky to master. And the color conversion process.......tedious.​.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

urbanfreestyle
2,060 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2016 16:48 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #14

Can't say i have noticed any issue, will post a copy tomorrow if you like to see if you can spot any :-)

Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 04, 2016 17:08 |  #15

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17960754 (external link)
Can't say i have noticed any issue, will post a copy tomorrow if you like to see if you can spot any :-)

Sure, you can post an example, but what matters is that the process works for you.

Or take this as a heads-up so you don't copy 1000 negs to discover afterwards that many are embellished with these mysterious ring-like patterns.

Look for the artifact in areas of uniform tone, like skies.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

6,697 views & 3 likes for this thread
What brand 120mm scanner do I need
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.