Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Olympus Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone using the in-camera focus stacking of the recent OM-D models?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 22, 2016 19:06 |  #1

A couple of us are doing a bunch of 360 panoramas that need (relatively) pretty deep DoF. We're working in close to our subjects and the distances range from as close as 1 ft. to 5-6 ft (not counting what's visible beyond the windows). We're currently making multiple passes with our cameras and the Gigapan and merging in post, but that's tedious. We're intrigued by the idea of in-camera focus stacking we understand the newest OM D models have. Has anyone used this feature much? Have any of you tried combining it with in-camera HDR? Any and all comments welcome.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 24, 2016 19:43 |  #2

hope u get some replies and maybe some examples.i am on the fence for the em52,i have the original and those features are what i want the new one for

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 25, 2016 15:50 |  #3

This feature works well. However, to really optimize it you will have to experiment to find the best setting for the focal depth. You can choose between jpg or jpg + RAW. Only the jpg is stacked in camera. You can stack the raws > tiff in post with PS or dedicated apps. I am almost sure that you cannot combine HDR and FS.

Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 25, 2016 15:56 as a reply to  @ nma's post |  #4

Thanks! It's great that it works, and we can certainly live with JPEG stacking and not being able to stack and HDR together; the Gigapan will let us do multiple exposures for HDR, but not for focus stacking.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

yendikeno
359 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 27, 2016 22:56 |  #5

Jon,

This article might be of interest:

http://www.imaging-resource.com …ere-via-new-firmware-v4.0 (external link)

Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 28, 2016 09:11 |  #6

It is indeed - thanks for posting it. Gives us a couple of things to think about, both in connection with the OM and with our existing camera/lens combos. In particular, I wonder if the cropping it performs is necessitated by internal focusing in the supported lenses or if it's just inherent in the process.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 05, 2016 11:17 |  #7

Another article on focus stacking:
http://cameras.olympus​.com/stack/en/ (external link)

I'll have to give this a shot next time I'm in the mountains.

Fabercula
205 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 02, 2016 03:14 |  #8

Brasher wrote in post #17961588 (external link)
Another article on focus stacking:
http://cameras.olympus​.com/stack/en/ (external link)

I'll have to give this a shot next time I'm in the mountains.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.
I do hope I can use this method with my omd 10 MarkII as well.

Nikon D750 - Nikon D7200 - Nikon S33 - Olympus Om10 Mark II
Nikkor, Sigma, Zuiko and PanaLeica lenses.

sponsored links

3,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone using the in-camera focus stacking of the recent OM-D models?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Olympus Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.