Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Apr 2016 (Monday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Processing for Weekend Warriors? Help me wade through the morass . . .

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by ddk2001.

Apr 04, 2016 22:19 |  #1

So - I've been taking pictures solely "for fun" for a few years now - have steadily upgraded equipment and take more pictures. I mostly take pictures at my kids' soccer and lacrosse games - in part to keep me busy and distract me - in part to capture moments to share with family members (and now for teammates and their families too).

I used to rely solely on iPhoto for editing - and then migrated to Aperture and liked the user interface and basic features that I could figure out without much difficulty (or time watching "how to" videos). Aperture was shelved for Apple's Photos - which I migrated to - and really dislike. I can't even find my damned picture files anymore!

Anyway - I just downloaded a free trial of Lightroom - and am messing with it - and like it (I think). Now - you can buy Lightroom outright for around $150 - or "subscribe" to Adobe's CC for $9.99/month ($120/yr) and have access to LR, PS, among other things. I also looked at Canon Digital Professional - the software that came with my camera - and am not really sure what to think of it.

PS? I don't think I'll ever have the time or energy to learn PS (especially after reading the "Why I Don't Use PS" thread.

I feel like the world has migrated to two sides of a room. Using something like Photos to make pictures for Facebook and Instagram, or using the Adobe suite to create elaborately manipulated pictures.

Where's the middle ground? I want to shoot in RAW - and be able to recover pictures that would otherwise be lost in JPEG - and like some functionality of the more sophisticated programs - but don't have the time to sit and learn all the ins and outs (and relearn them every time I forget how to use them because I only use them every couple of months!).

Am I alone out there? What's a guy like me to do? :eek:

sponsored links
rwmson
441 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 05, 2016 07:09 |  #2

I think Lightroom would suit you nicely, both for culling shots and applying a decent amount of enhancements.

yeah, I gots some stuff.

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 05, 2016 09:53 |  #3

Yeah, I think LR will suit you fine. It's not hard to use or remember. I often use the auto features and then adjust from there. Sliders are pretty simple. Plus there are some advanced features which are great if you have the need.

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

ddk2001
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 05, 2016 12:58 |  #4

Thanks - that's kind oh what I thought.

Advantages / disadvantages to buying LR outright versus CC subscription? If and when there's an update for LR - do you have to keep paying to upgrade? Just wondering whether the CC subscription is worth it.

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,752 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 05, 2016 13:13 |  #5

ddk2001 wrote in post #17961695 (external link)
Thanks - that's kind oh what I thought.

Advantages / disadvantages to buying LR outright versus CC subscription? If and when there's an update for LR - do you have to keep paying to upgrade? Just wondering whether the CC subscription is worth it.

With the CC you get all the updates... the way I see the dilemma is you either get stuck where you're at with everything, or get stuck constantly upgrading everything. There's a little value to each path.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,431 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2016 13:16 |  #6

Lightroom is for developing digital photos and organizing them; whereas PS is *really* for creating digital content. For most use, like your described usage, LR is fine.

The biggest con to the CC stuff, and primary reason I stick with the download/standalone version of Lightroom is that I don't always have internet access when/where I am editing.

Overall, LR works quite well and with the plugins available for it now, does 90% of the things even power users do in PS. I've been using LR since its inception, and even after nabbing a SMOKING deal on PS a few years back, haven't found a need to migrate.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,981 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 05, 2016 16:31 |  #7

Snydremark wrote in post #17961711 (external link)
Lightroom is for developing digital photos and organizing them; whereas PS is *really* for creating digital content. For most use, like your described usage, LR is fine.

The biggest con to the CC stuff, and primary reason I stick with the download/standalone version of Lightroom is that I don't always have internet access when/where I am editing.

Overall, LR works quite well and with the plugins available for it now, does 90% of the things even power users do in PS. I've been using LR since its inception, and even after nabbing a SMOKING deal on PS a few years back, haven't found a need to migrate.

You know that you only have to connect LR to check it's licence every 30 days, and I believe that there is a way to extend that to some degree. That is for the monthly payment. Do the year in advance, which perversely is, at least here in the UK, a few pence dearer than the monthly option, and you only have to phone home every 90 days. Using the not always connected to the net argument is really a non flyer. I'm not suggesting that there are not good reasons to stay with a perpetual licence model for many users, but the internet connection availability is not really one of them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by ksbal.

Apr 05, 2016 17:02 |  #8

90% of what I do is done in LR. There is most of what you need, including batch editing an exporting, watermarking, heck there is stuff in there I still don't know about after 5+ years on it. You can do quite a bit of skin editing, split toning, and many other features that are present in PSCC.

When I need to pixel manipulate, I find that Photoshop Elements is plenty good enough for my needs. So I'm not spending a ton and getting my needs met.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Snydremark
18,431 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2016 17:05 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #17961901 (external link)
You know that you only have to connect LR to check it's licence every 30 days, and I believe that there is a way to extend that to some degree. That is for the monthly payment. Do the year in advance, which perversely is, at least here in the UK, a few pence dearer than the monthly option, and you only have to phone home every 90 days. Using the not always connected to the net argument is really a non flyer. I'm not suggesting that there are not good reasons to stay with a perpetual licence model for many users, but the internet connection availability is not really one of them.

Alan

Nope; didn't know that...thanks!

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 06, 2016 00:18 |  #10

Just look at my signature, between the online and the desktop/download, there is more than 250 FREEWARES

If you like a lightroom alike recently Polarr (external link) has made a desktop freeware to download and it does RAW file too, try it !! and when you start the software polarr guide you in the beginning ;) it is perfect for the beginner who do not want to spend time in learning a new software.
the paid version cost only $19.99 has the local and radial adjustment over the free version (in case that later you might want it).

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,839 posts
Gallery: 233 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 06, 2016 05:08 |  #11

These days if you carry a camera you must be a "'shop guru" and therefore can "fix" every physical defect under the sun. The reality is you will need to do a bit of cropping, resizing, cloning/removal of objects on a regular basis. I would suggest you give both lightroom and dpp a solid shot at doing the above and pick one. If you prefer lightroom buy the stand alone version, you're unlikely to need an upgrade for years.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 06, 2016 06:22 |  #12

I use Lightroom CC along with the Nik Collection (now free) for most of my post processing. I do finalize things in Photoshop because it's easier for me... and I have Photoshop CC as well.

The $9.99 make sense to me.... though at the moment, in the States, Amazon is offering the Adobe CC Photographer's package for $7.99 a month.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,981 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2016 07:07 |  #13

Snydremark wrote in post #17961934 (external link)
Nope; didn't know that...thanks!

It was only when you posted this reply that I noticed your TF moniker. Definitely appropriate in this case :).

I'm not wanting to get into the argument over perpetual vs CC licencing models, that's already been done to death. but some of the Myths surrounding it are quite far from the truth. Some of the things around the need for things like internet access, and what happens when you stop the plan do seem to be wildly misrepresented, especially by those who seem to have the mindset that it is all a big conspiracy on the part of Adobe to "rip" you off. It also seems to get in the way of a rational debate on the subject.

Oh and as an aside I just wish they would offer a stills/video bundle that included Premier as well as PS and LR. As long as it were under £20/month it would be really attractive to me as someone who started out with Standard 8 then Super 8 cine before getting into still photography seriously with a 35mm film SLR. Especially now you can get really good quality results doing video with DSLR's.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by nathancarter.

Apr 06, 2016 08:46 |  #14

BigAl007 wrote in post #17962557 (external link)
I'm not wanting to get into the argument over perpetual vs CC licencing models, that's already been done to death. but some of the Myths surrounding it are quite far from the truth. Some of the things around the need for things like internet access, and what happens when you stop the plan do seem to be wildly misrepresented, especially by those who seem to have the mindset that it is all a big conspiracy on the part of Adobe to "rip" you off. It also seems to get in the way of a rational debate on the subject.

I heard that all my photos will be stored in "THE CLOUD" and when it rains, all the photos will leak out of the cloud and be lost. And if I'm not connected to the internet, Adobe will sell my photos to Facebook.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Snydremark
18,431 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2016 10:30 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #17962557 (external link)
It was only when you posted this reply that I noticed your TF moniker. Definitely appropriate in this case :).

:lol:

As you mentioned in another thread about this, recently, though: If you stop paying you still lose the ability to do, basically, THE thing that the product is used for in Photography: photo editing. Being someone that works in an industry with ups and downs that sometimes requires cutting back on monthly costs for long periods of time, I would much rather have a product that I can pay for once and always have the function of regardless of my paycheck's status.

I will certainly stand with you against anyone complaining about it being a way for Adobe to "rip people off"...it's simply a different way of paying for/using the product and it's great for *them* because it gives them a more steady revenue stream; and the user is getting access to a TON more functionality as long as they're paying for CC.

I would just hate to suddenly be unable to work with my photos the way I'm used to because I've had to take a 6mo furlogh.

sponsored links

3,495 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photo Processing for Weekend Warriors? Help me wade through the morass . . .
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.