Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps. (2 edits in all)

Apr 04, 2016 14:45 |  #1381

Canon released a new update yesterday for its DPP and EOS Utility software. Canon 1D X Mark II support has been added! RAW file support is now available to the public. Getting one step closer...

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,829 posts
Gallery: 1847 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 05, 2016 05:21 |  #1382

t-25 days :)
I do think about it every now and then.
Did pick up the Canon 40mm pancake for it.
The Canon 24-70/4 which came a couple of weeks ago will sing on it.
Still looking for a 16-35/4 and a used one will be fine.

In the meantime I'm enjoying the Leica 100-400mm. It is no
Canon 100-400ii but is surprisingly close in many ways. Crazy thing is
I shot it two days without ever turning on OIS :(

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps.

Apr 05, 2016 14:57 |  #1383

MedicineMan,

Yep, we're getting closer! I'm glad you have the Leica 100-400 to tide you over. In preparation for the 1D X Mark II, I ordered a new Canon 2x III and I just unboxed it a few minutes ago. Time to use it for a bit and use it as a distraction to get me a couple days closer to early May. BTW, I picked up that brand new 2X III extender from Camera Canada for $360 (USD) prior to the Canadian price increase. What a steal!

I'm usually not bothered by the wait for new gear, but the wait for the Canon 1D X Mark II is killing me! :lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Gallery: 953 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by Peter2516.

Apr 05, 2016 16:18 |  #1384

bps wrote in post #17961801 (external link)
MedicineMan,

Yep, we're getting closer! I'm glad you have the Leica 100-400 to tide you over. In preparation for the 1D X Mark II, I ordered a new Canon 2x III and I just unboxed it a few minutes ago. Time to use it for a bit and use it as a distraction to get me a couple days closer to early May. BTW, I picked up that brand new 2X III extender from Camera Canada for $360 (USD) prior to the Canadian price increase. What a steal!

I'm usually not bothered by the wait for new gear, but the wait for the Canon 1D X Mark II is killing me! :lol:

Bryan

Get a puppy :), I did that when my wife was pregnant for our first baby I thought waiting for 9 months is killing me lol. we ended up having the dog for 10+ years :).

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2016 16:43 |  #1385

Peter2516 wrote in post #17961893 (external link)
Get a puppy :), I did that when my wife was pregnant for our first baby I thought waiting for 9 months is killing me lol. we ended up having the dog for 10+ years :).

We've got the dog. She certainly keeps us busy and happy but she isn't making this wait any better...

The good news is that she'll invariably be a subject when the camera arrives... Yeah, I know, some of y'all prefer less hair on your models. :D

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 05, 2016 17:07 as a reply to  @ Erik S. Klein's post |  #1386

Got a dog. Dog lived a full life and died of old age.

Kids are still with me though, all four of them. The oldest will be heading to college next year.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 05, 2016 17:12 |  #1387

JeffreyG wrote in post #17961937 (external link)
Got a dog. Dog lived a full life and died of old age.

Kids are still with me though, all four of them. The oldest will be heading to college next year.

We've had a long series of cats do that... I got sick of litter boxes so we changed it up.

My oldest is in 8th grade so I have a few more years of saving before college. But I'll have both in for at least 3 years of overlap. :(

The kids won't generally be subjects for the new 1DxII as the are as lens averse as I am so most of my shots are of them hiding behind stuff. Brats. ;)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2016 18:02 |  #1388

As we all continue to wait for this beauty to arrive in May, we should schedule an evening sometime and get a near real-time conversation going on here while drinking a few craft beers or some wine. Or perhaps a craft root beer if alcohol is not your thing. Anything my friends to pass the time!

:lol:

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by johnf3f.

Apr 05, 2016 18:37 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #1389

I have had a play with a couple of pre production 1DX Mk2 bodies and I am not entirely convinced. Not putting the Mk2 down in any way, it's just that I find the 1DX Mk1 so good that the Mk2 will have to be spectacular to be worth the extra!
Unfortunately all that I could really tell, of practical value, is that the ergonomics have changed a little - I wasn't too keen but a friend thought it was a major improvement - we are all different! One thing that we did both agree on is that the AF is definitely better, not so much accuracy (we expect that from our existing 1D4 and 1DX cameras) but the 1Dx Mk2 was definitely quicker to lock especially under poor lighting. This was on Canon 300 F4 L IS, 600 F4 L IS and 800 F5.6 L IS lenses - sorry we don't (yet) have any Mk2 SuperTeles!
If I can bring some 8 year old Golden Rum to the conversation then I am up for it!
I think we all can agree that even from the limited user experience available that this looks like a very nice camera - possibly/probably the best sports/wildlife/action camera yet made - all we have to decide now is just how good it is, are there any glitches and is it worth the money for our individual needs/wants. Could be fun:-D

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2016 20:44 |  #1390

johnf3f wrote in post #17962036 (external link)
I have had a play with a couple of pre production 1DX Mk2 bodies and I am not entirely convinced. Not putting the Mk2 down in any way, it's just that I find the 1DX Mk1 so good that the Mk2 will have to be spectacular to be worth the extra!
Unfortunately all that I could really tell, of practical value, is that the ergonomics have changed a little - I wasn't too keen but a friend thought it was a major improvement - we are all different! One thing that we did both agree on is that the AF is definitely better, not so much accuracy (we expect that from our existing 1D4 and 1DX cameras) but the 1Dx Mk2 was definitely quicker to lock especially under poor lighting. This was on Canon 300 F4 L IS, 600 F4 L IS and 800 F5.6 L IS lenses - sorry we don't (yet) have any Mk2 SuperTeles!
If I can bring some 8 year old Golden Rum to the conversation then I am up for it!
I think we all can agree that even from the limited user experience available that this looks like a very nice camera - possibly/probably the best sports/wildlife/action camera yet made - all we have to decide now is just how good it is, are there any glitches and is it worth the money for our individual needs/wants. Could be fun:-D

Thank you very much for sharing your observations with us! Much appreciated!

Bryan

My Gear List

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,829 posts
Gallery: 1847 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 05, 2016 22:50 |  #1391

Semi real-time share the love 1DXiifest sounds cool, IF it gets here in time for me. I'm headed off
to Iceland in May, so maybe yes maybe me living in a little RV, but who knows wifi is all over the island. Oops, forgot
the Canon didn't make the cut for landscape nirvana-that's a Sony trip.

Cat, dog. I've buried many of each over the years. Currently very happy with a Rose-haired tarantula-throw in a cricket one
a week=done :)

Kids? Haven't seen or talked to mine in over 15 years and I sleep good with that fact :)

BPS congrats on that cTCiii. I used it on the 500ISii and wow. Surprising how sharp. AF speed took a bit of a hit but that could
have been atmospherics or the 1Div or the 7Dii I played with. You def. got a deal.

and Peter DONT mention dog or cat to Poof, she is weekly bringing up a Bombay or a Giant Schnauzer :( Just what I need, cat
or dog hair on my kit=aaaarrrrrgggggg

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 05, 2016 23:34 |  #1392

MedicineMan, we gotta drink a beer together one day. Or perhaps an early morning landscape session followed by breakfast somewhere. You are one cool cat.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 06, 2016 08:39 |  #1393

Yeah Thanks for this. Appreciate your input. I was really on the fence. I think if i were a current 1Dx owner I would have to think long and hard about the update. The advantage is going to be a stop maybe 1 1/2 stops ISO improvement, black and shadow retention improvement to compete with the Sony sensor, and an improved AF system, and 4K video if you need that........If i were not shooting weddings and in dark situations, i would get the current 1Dx at its 4500.00 price point.....Thats a bloody steal.

People stepping up from a 5D3 or have a higher count 1DMKIV have something to ponder and chew on

good call with this observation

personally for me. I plan on keeping this camera well past the next update. I see 6-8 yrs out of this body so its well worth the investment to me I want to be the guy with a 1Dx2 that is in your shoes thinking....man Im not so sure I need what the 1Dx3 is going to offer............ISO and dark and shadows are very important for my needs......25000 iso and ability to get faster shutter speeds in dark situations are going to be huge for me.....thats why I am jumping on one of these.

Thanks for your input

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 06, 2016 10:00 |  #1394

umphotography wrote in post #17962617 (external link)
Yeah Thanks for this. Appreciate your input. I was really on the fence. I think if i were a current 1Dx owner I would have to think long and hard about the update. The advantage is going to be a stop maybe 1 1/2 stops ISO improvement, black and shadow retention improvement to compete with the Sony sensor, and an improved AF system, and 4K video if you need that........If i were not shooting weddings and in dark situations, i would get the current 1Dx at its 4500.00 price point.....Thats a bloody steal.

People stepping up from a 5D3 or have a higher count 1DMKIV have something to ponder and chew on

good call with this observation

personally for me. I plan on keeping this camera well past the next update. I see 6-8 yrs out of this body so its well worth the investment to me I want to be the guy with a 1Dx2 that is in your shoes thinking....man Im not so sure I need what the 1Dx3 is going to offer............ISO and dark and shadows are very important for my needs......25000 iso and ability to get faster shutter speeds in dark situations are going to be huge for me.....thats why I am jumping on one of these.

Thanks for your input

It's great hearing the thoughts of both John and Mike, both of which are highly experienced photographers. I looked long and hard at buying a new 1D X (Mark I), especially when I could have picked one up for new for $3,580 (USD) before the Canadian price increase and when the USD to CAD currency rates were at an all-time low a couple of months ago. Now, as of today, $4,170 is the cheapest you can buy a US model new via CanonPriceWatch's excellent street price program.

Obviously, the original 1D X is still a flat-out amazing camera, especially for the price. It will still produce great files in 6-12 months as much as it does today. But what ultimately swayed me to get the Mark II were a couple of different factors.

Wildlife and birds have really captured my attention in the last 2 years. When I say captured my attention, I really mean that this genre of photography has totally consumed me. I am spending vast amounts of time in the field and I find myself very content with spending hours throughout the day, or even days on end, closely observing the habit patterns of wildlife and birds and learning why they do what they do. I feel like this gives me a greater appreciation for the animal or bird, therefore enabling me to capture and create more meaningful photographs. In spite of having very fast glass, I have approached the outer reaches of what my current cameras are capable of. I strongly desire the ability to shoot at increasingly higher ISOs, and I'm hopeful that we'll see a 1 to 1.5 stop of ISO improvement in the Mark II. Faster frame rates are always welcome. And the ability to AF at f/8 across all AF points when using my 500L II and a 2x extender is a tremendous plus.

If we can push the shadows up a lot more than we can now, that is an enormous benefit. And it is this last statement that is a good segway into why the Mark II seems like the best choice for me.

Technology marches on. Yes, the original 1D X is still an amazing camera today, but it was created with the best technology Canon had in 2012. But now we're in 2016 and it is a fair assumption that we might not see a new 1D X update until 2020. By that point, the original 1D X will be 8 years old. I'm confident it will be long in the tooth by then. I'm also reasonably confident that the 1D X Mark II will easily carry me through 2020 with shining colors, perhaps more, although it's hard/impossible to predict what technological advancements will be released between now and then.

Again, these are just some of my thoughts and I haven't had my morning caffeine yet. The original 1D X is still a superb camera and it is a great value today for many photographers. But for me, I truly feel like the latest advancements in the Mark II will enable me to push myself and my photography even further and that is very important to me.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 06, 2016 11:36 |  #1395

thought i would post an edit to a Nikon D5 64,000 ISO RAW file that Matt Granger posted on his site
- he posted the RAW and the Jpeg

when you look at the Jpeg on his site, nikon uses huge amounts of NR until the skin has zero texture
- but with the RAW, 64,000 ISO while still a very very high ISO can be cleaned up to give an OK picture
- i personally wouldn't use this ISO because the quality is so much poorer than lower ISOs, but my guess is 25,200 will be very acceptable

not exactly 1Dx II content, but there shouldn't be too much difference between the two cameras at similar ISOs

the raw edited in LR and PS

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1541/26001420040_444701a9f5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FBE5​iw  (external link) Nikon D5 iso_64000 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

a link to the page on his site where you can get the RAW and the Jpeg
http://mattgranger.com​/d5 (external link)

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

283,448 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.