Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 19:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 04, 2016 21:24 |  #9706

KenjiS wrote in post #17960885 (external link)
As for MY build i likely am pulling the CPU, I thought i had everything ok and working but then it went all unstable on me again, Its giving my brain a lot of pain... lol

Again, done this a dozen or more times and never had so many headaches :(

that sucks Kenji, I guess I just don't know how lucky I am, even my skinny geek couldn't believe how perfect the history on my build has been, there was one crash due to an install error but that was it, now, if i could just find an apple geek to get me hotmail on my iPhone I would be in heaven vmad

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links
Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 05, 2016 09:43 |  #9707

KenjiS wrote in post #17960885 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/F4ic​TE  (external link) Passing by Me (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FST4​DF  (external link) Blue Orchid (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/F4ic​L5  (external link) Another Fairy (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FyCb​rf  (external link) Warm Bunny (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/FYJN​f8 (external link)Soft Bunny (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/FQHb​p7 (external link)Ahi Tartare (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/FT2j​fD (external link)Cherry Manhattan 1 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/FyMp​eG (external link)Cherry Manhattan 2 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

And some links for the rest..

https://www.flickr.com …913/in/datepost​ed-public/ (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …881/in/datepost​ed-public/ (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …981/in/datepost​ed-public/ (external link)

As for MY build i likely am pulling the CPU, I thought i had everything ok and working but then it went all unstable on me again, Its giving my brain a lot of pain... lol

Again, done this a dozen or more times and never had so many headaches :(

Another nice set, Kenji. I'm hungry AND thirsty now. :lol:

Too bad about the cpu. Just RMA and most likely the replacement should be good.

My build is doing ok so far. Got rid of the CPU fan and keyboard issue. SSD is recognized. Did a basic memory test and let it run overnight. OS install via usb was recognized too, but I didn't go through the install. Will probably install the graphic cards first sometime this week. Debating on re-arranging the rad to the back if possible, however. Hmmm... -?

| Canon EOS Systems |

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 05, 2016 12:24 |  #9708

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17961508 (external link)
Another nice set, Kenji. I'm hungry AND thirsty now. :lol:

Too bad about the cpu. Just RMA and most likely the replacement should be good.

My build is doing ok so far. Got rid of the CPU fan and keyboard issue. SSD is recognized. Did a basic memory test and let it run overnight. OS install via usb was recognized too, but I didn't go through the install. Will probably install the graphic cards first sometime this week. Debating on re-arranging the rad to the back if possible, however. Hmmm... -?

what ? you have two ?

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by daverator.

Apr 05, 2016 14:26 |  #9709

Has anybody tried the HBM Cards? I was going to get a second r9290 but the price hasn't dropped hardly at all on them since the hbm's came out.

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,756 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 05, 2016 14:27 |  #9710

daverator wrote in post #17961765 (external link)
Has anybody tried the HBM Cards? I was going to get a second r9290 but the price hasn't dropped hardly at all on them since the hbm's came out.

Nope.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Blurr ­ Cube
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Blurr Cube.

Apr 05, 2016 15:11 |  #9711

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17961671 (external link)
what ? you have two ?

Oops. Typo. :-x Just a single card. Gigabyte 980 Ti. ;-)a

I did consider SLI but funds got tight. vmad :rolleyes: :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,097 posts
Gallery: 404 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 05, 2016 17:23 |  #9712

daverator wrote in post #17961765 (external link)

The first gen ones are interesting, the only downside on them right now is that they cannot be overclocked due to limitations, Their clock speed is a bit lower than say, a 980 Ti (Which competes in price vs the R9 Fury X) and that allows the 980 Ti to win in many benchmarks

The second gen cards are coming this year and should offer improvements. The other variable is Dx12 which is just starting to come into play, currently Dx12 is better on AMD cards, this could be due to actual architecture advantage or AMD having more knowledge about the ins of DX12 and better driver optimization for it at this point. We should have a better picture with the second gen HBM cards.

Basically I'd hold off right now TBH, a second 290 is probubly not a good purchase at this point as the new cards will easily have more performance than two in crossfire as well as more reliable performance

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 05, 2016 20:58 |  #9713

KenjiS wrote in post #17961952 (external link)
The first gen ones are interesting, the only downside on them right now is that they cannot be overclocked due to limitations, Their clock speed is a bit lower than say, a 980 Ti (Which competes in price vs the R9 Fury X) and that allows the 980 Ti to win in many benchmarks

The second gen cards are coming this year and should offer improvements. The other variable is Dx12 which is just starting to come into play, currently Dx12 is better on AMD cards, this could be due to actual architecture advantage or AMD having more knowledge about the ins of DX12 and better driver optimization for it at this point. We should have a better picture with the second gen HBM cards.

Basically I'd hold off right now TBH, a second 290 is probubly not a good purchase at this point as the new cards will easily have more performance than two in crossfire as well as more reliable performance

I don't really need another card anyway, originally I was hoping to build with 2 cards, got one and waited for the price to go down for the second one but it never did. I got r9290 non x because performance wise the x wasn't worth the extra bucks. Now the non x is hard to find and I thought about getting one now before they're totally gone. The one card I have is great, I'm a gamer and I have never had a glitch with it. Thanks for the input!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 05, 2016 22:03 |  #9714

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17961817 (external link)
Oops. Typo. :-x Just a single card. Gigabyte 980 Ti. ;-)a

I did consider SLI but funds got tight. vmad :rolleyes: :lol:

Ah, thought you were a shooter :lol::lol::lol:

Blurr ­ Cube
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Blurr Cube.

Apr 06, 2016 10:41 |  #9715

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17962258 (external link)
Ah, thought you were a shooter :lol::lol::lol:

Shooter? -? As in First Person Shooter games? Well, I'm just a filthy casual when it comes to games. :lol:

So, been staring at the rig and I just didn't like it. 3 things I wanted. One is to have a pull config on the X61 so I can get at the dust from the bottom of the rad. Instead of uninstalling the fans in push config just to get to dust sandwiched between the fan and rad. Two is to have optical bay available, which means installing the rad in the back end. Still have DVD/BR discs that kids may want to watch... old Disney stuff mostly. Three is to have a rear fan for exhaust.

To insall the rad in the back, I had to remove the plastic housing on the mobo. It won't be it's sexy original self but I'm whatevs at this point :rolleyes:. I've already installed the cooler to the cpu and I have no thermal paste :oops:. So I had to "delicately" unplug any wires, remove the rad still attached to the cpu, unscrew the mobo from the case, flip it over and remove 3 tiny screws on the back which holds the plastic housing. This now allowed enough clearance to install the rad in the back. Now I could install it in push config and call it a day. Interweb search showed one guy doing it with the rear 140mm fan installed.

Thinking about it, I still wanted the fans on top for pull. I did a test fit and the provided screws just didn't seem long enough. Barely enough thread to "bite" into the Ran to home depot and check out their screw selection. Turns out the provided screw is #6-32 and 1-1/4 long (nominal most likely because it was more 1.2 when I measured with a scale ruler). Next length available was 1-1/2 so I got eight of those. Well, this was too long as the rad hole didn't take the threads all the way through. SMH vmad. So I make do with the provided long screws. At first without washers to hold it in place and get a good bite into the rad, then added the washers later when it was lined up and it held everything just fine. Perfect, I thought. Well a rear fan had no room. Like before a 140mm is a no go and blocked by the rad. A 120mm has room but the hole slots don't line up. I'd need to drill holes or mod the case. I decide to put that on the back burner for now. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. ;-)a

So all set right? Nope. Dumb me forgot to push the wires through the top and blocked by the rad and I didn't want to take it out, so I had to snake the wires with my big honking hands through teeny tinly slot holes. With some pulling, hooking, and cussing I got most of it through. Finally, I tried to put back the optical cage but it turns out I have to slide it in... from the back. I couldn't do this since the rad was in the way. Seriously :eek:? I'm going to have to uninstall the rad, slide in the cage, and re-install the rad now (after having gone through the pain of snaking wires in order to avoid removal of the rad in the first place). Guess I'm doing that later tonight... if I feel like it. :cry:

TL;DR Ongoing saga of me wrestling with building a rig and ranting and venting here. Haven't gotten shocked... yet.  :p

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 06, 2016 10:47 |  #9716

daverator wrote in post #17962195 (external link)
I don't really need another card anyway, originally I was hoping to build with 2 cards, got one and waited for the price to go down for the second one but it never did. I got r9290 non x because performance wise the x wasn't worth the extra bucks. Now the non x is hard to find and I thought about getting one now before they're totally gone. The one card I have is great, I'm a gamer and I have never had a glitch with it. Thanks for the input!

It's not the NEED... it's the WANT that gets ya! :lol:

At first I wanted to get two video cards and go SLI. Then my budget slapped some sense into me and decided to hold off. I'm thinking I can get another card later and maybe cheaper. Hope I don't wait too long that the card goes away. :cry: Or I may end up being totally happy with the one card.  :p

| Canon EOS Systems |

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 06, 2016 12:53 |  #9717

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17962717 (external link)
TL;DR Ongoing saga of me wrestling with building a rig and ranting and venting here. Haven't gotten shocked... yet.  :p

best part :lol::lol::lol:

Blurr ­ Cube
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 08, 2016 13:12 |  #9718

FJ LOVE wrote in post #17962841 (external link)
best part :lol::lol::lol:

I've gotten this far...  :p

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
15,129 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 08, 2016 14:50 |  #9719

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17964898 (external link)
I've gotten this far...  :p

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Blurr Cube in
./showthread.php?p=179​64898&i=i183113880
forum: The Lounge

I've got everything stuffed in the box. The previous night, I went ahead and took down the radiator and installed the optical cage. Then re-installed the rad still connected to the cpu and hoped I didn't nick a tube or anything. It went in easier, I just had to line things up with two screws without washers first and then the rest with washers. Fairly quick since I knew what to expect. I just couldn't install a fan in the back. Definitely no room for 140mm but a 120mm fits. The screw holes just doesn't line up since the rad blocks it. There has to be an adapter or some bracket I can use. Hmmm... vmad

Yesterday, I installed the video card. That thing is massive. Installation was fairly straightforward. Instructions was garbage though. Seems video cards now need power connection to the psu and not supplied from the bus. I'm looking at the top and there are two 6 pins connector. I'm scratching my head with the one power cord I had marked vga. It was 4+2 pins and the other split was 4 pin then connect to the psu. That doesn't seem right to me. Turns out I have to use 2 cables. I had to use 2 seperate 4+2 pins since the psu didn't come with 6 pins to 6 pins cables. Got it all plugged in. Cleaned up some wires. And turned it on. Yes! It POSTed and I didn't fry anything or get shocked :grin: . UEFI (what used to be called the BIOS) wasn't showing one of the rams, but unplugging and plugging it back fixed it. So all good with Display port from the video card and did the OS install. Pretty slick that the WIFI picked up before the LAN (driver issue most likely) and got connected and updates on the interweb. I didn't bother with the rest of the drivers yet and will probably do that tonight. ;-)a

Build is pretty much done. Just some cable cleaning and checking stuff. Then I can use it for... 8-)

IMAGE: http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24117-games-and-stuff-gif-FQHW.gif

So what do the cool kids nowadays use to burn-in or test their cpu, gpu, ram, etc.? -?

| Canon EOS Systems |

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,097 posts
Gallery: 404 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2016 19:37 |  #9720

AIDA64 is nice, Theres also the h264 simulation test that basically processes an h264 file in the background...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

762,608 views & 406 likes for this thread
It's Already 2AM: 35th Edition... Welcome to The Blue Oyster Bar.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.