Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is GAP racist or just hiring a budget photographer (bad pose).

this thread is locked
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 15:22 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Cheap, budget photographer making bad pose and ending up GAP being accused of being racist...LOL...single light source with an underlit background. I won't say the pose is racist but pretty awkward...putting the tall kid's elbow over her head that way.

https://www.yahoo.com …es-critics-155004555.html (external link)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Jon_Doh
868 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 06, 2016 15:33 |  #2

Good grief. I'm so sick of all these idiots calling everything "racist" or "sexist". There's nothing racist about the photo and nobody would have complained if the races in the kids had been reversed.

I use a Kodak Brownie

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 15:36 as a reply to  @ Jon_Doh's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

That's not the point but if a bad pose causing others to accuse GAP for being racist...that's the problem with the pose. And that's the fault of the photographer of course for staging an awkward pose.

Facebook (external link)

Jon_Doh
868 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 06, 2016 15:51 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #4

It has nothing to do with the pose, but everybody's over the top extreme political correctness now days.

I use a Kodak Brownie

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 15:56 as a reply to  @ Jon_Doh's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

It does because it is the pose causing some to accuse GAP for being racist. :)

Facebook (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,319 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2016 15:56 |  #6

Anyone claiming racism off that photo is looking for things to complain about. That said, it's also just a screwy framing/pose, IMO.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

eyalha
222 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 06, 2016 16:18 |  #7

ߑ Totally agree!

5D2, 24-70L F2.8, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 50 F1.4, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 II, 430EX II X 2, A few Pocketwizards

sjones
Goldmember
2,213 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 06, 2016 16:30 |  #8

The intent was unlikely racist. This said, if racism was not so endemic and institutionalized as it currently is, then the overly sensitive reaction to this particular photo would likely not arise.

For every one act of egregious or frivolous “PC” behavior that occurs in this country (and it certainly occurs), there are countless undeniable and blatant acts of racism, sexism, and various types of chauvinism...I'm in North Carolina; I know first hand.

As for the photographer’s responsibility, well, ask the one who took a photo of a crucifix emerged in urine; lots of complaints about that one, particularly by folks who are now the ones most fed up with all this PC crap going around.

But then again, it’s not really about being PC or not, but instead who has a right to insult someone, and who doesn’t.

Be aware of the environment and your audience, realizing that even the most innocuous thing can trigger public dissent…example, an obviously Christmas decorated cup is, to some, not Christmasy enough because it is not adorned by enough ultimately secular symbols.

I’m out…

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Apr 06, 2016 16:45 |  #9

When I first read the headline to this article (it popped up in my Facebook news feed) I thought, "ridiculous. Everything is racist these days." But after seeing the photo (which my immediate thought was 'that's not a very good photo. terrible expressions and poses') I thought it did in fact potentially seem to come across as a bit racist. While I know the photographer (for some reason) wanted a serious look on all the children's faces, this is what made people perceive it as racist IMO. Because the younger african american girl appeared to be upset about the arm on her head, yet couldn't do anything about it because the older, larger white girl would not move (aka oppression). Had everyone been smiling (like all GAP children's ads should be) I don't think there would've been as much uproar.

However I doubt the original posing was meant to be racist, just a bad job by the photog on that part and a bad job by GAP for selecting it.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 06, 2016 16:52 |  #10

That's what older how siblings do. But it is a good reminder.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

iowajim
507 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2016 18:08 |  #11

When I look at the picture I see some awkward, staged poses. I see an older kid antagonizing a younger kid. And this is most clearly an insult to vertically challenged people. I'm disappointed that no-one else picked up on that, instead being led like lambs by the media's interpretation on the image.  :p

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2016 18:52 |  #12

Just proves that there is no limit to the number of A-holes in the world.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,232 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2016 19:46 |  #13

...PLEASE, enough with this racist bs being thrown around everywhere!

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 06, 2016 20:27 |  #14

The only thing that's racist are the people that are complaining about racism in this photo. Those are the people that are racist...

My Gear List

StarJack
582 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 06, 2016 21:14 |  #15

Or you could say it's GAP showing corporate cowardice to race baiting thugs.

Regards,
Steve

sponsored links

4,808 views & 5 likes for this thread
Is GAP racist or just hiring a budget photographer (bad pose).
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.