Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boston POTN Meet (3)

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 04, 2016 14:07 |  #3781

Nathan wrote in post #17960479 (external link)
What's the point of a per occurrence deductible, even? Would it be cheaper to pay for repairs yourself than the monthly premium?

Depends....my yearly premium is around $750 or so...and that's covering over 35k in camera gear....worldwide and it gives me business insurance as well with a few million in liability etc..

my 5D3 died...Canon quoted like 800 to repair it..I was going to eat the cost...then Canon said they can fix it...so I did insurance.. I paid 500, to get a brand new 2500 camera body..it could be said I also paid +750 cause my policy, but still..I ended up on top..Next year my policy will go up around 150 more a year, because of that claim, but then go back down....

now insurance would really be worth it if say my house burnt down, my car got wrecked or broken into and all the gear got taken..$500 and all my gear back

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

sponsored links
Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nathan.

Apr 05, 2016 09:30 |  #3782

I've got some insurance issues, too. Had my wisdom teeth taken out in January by an out of network surgeon. She was the one recommended by my dentist, so I went with it. Apparently, my dental benefit coverage shows that I have the same level of coverage in and out of network. MGH screwed up the benefit claim and they're handling it now. I have to follow up every few weeks to get an update. $2300. I'm getting some toys whenever I get this money back. vmad

Seriously considering Fuji. I think I'll hold onto my 85 and get the 135 in the meantime while I figure things out. Getting rid of everything else.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,378 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 05, 2016 18:11 |  #3783

Nathan wrote in post #17961494 (external link)
Getting rid of everything else.

:-D

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

s4v8
50 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2016 18:52 |  #3784

While we're on the topic of insurance....

Do you guys have any recommended homeowners insurance vendors? I've priced out Arbella (current auto policy), Amica and they are pretty much even.

Arbella has treated me pretty well over the last several years but Amica seems to get a lot of rave reviews when it come to the claims process.

40D 17-40mm f/4L
1D Mk II 85mm f/1.8

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,598 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 09:03 |  #3785

s4v8 wrote in post #17962053 (external link)
While we're on the topic of insurance....

Do you guys have any recommended homeowners insurance vendors? I've priced out Arbella (current auto policy), Amica and they are pretty much even.

Arbella has treated me pretty well over the last several years but Amica seems to get a lot of rave reviews when it come to the claims process.

house insurance... I think we are with geico...

SmugMug (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nathan. (2 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2016 09:07 as a reply to  @ Harm's post |  #3786

Go through your insurance agent to run a comparison. Then go to a second agency and see if they can get you a better deal. That's what we did when we got our homeowner's policy. A second agent reached out to us, but couldn't match the first agent's coverage. We're with Hanover Insurance for both auto and home - you get a discount for keeping them together (same as most policies, I think). We purchase them through our agent at Castle Edge Insurance in Waltham. We've been very happy with filing claims on our auto.

kpratte
258 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 06, 2016 10:08 |  #3787

s4v8 wrote in post #17962053 (external link)

Sounds about right.. I have Amica and they are more expensive than Geico and several others, but so is everyone else more expensive than Geico and Progressive. When lightening struck a tree next to my house and fried some electronic stuff (garage door opener, furnace control board, and thermostat, Amica covered all of it and my deductible was covered by them reimbursing me for the labor that would have been charged to replace those items that I did myself.

When I had work done on my car years ago I heard about how the auto insurance industry can be rather shady doing things like forcing you to use their affiliated shop and not covering the full cost of replacing an item because they feel it would make the car better. (e.g. if you had bald tires, got into an accident, tires popped, even if it wasn't your fault, Allstate would pro-rate the tire replacement because they are making your car better..the reality is that you need tires that hold air and there isn't exactly a big industry for used tires.)

So, like all things insurance, it pays to ask about things above, along with what happens if you hit a tree with your car, do your rates go up? Amica's rates don't go up unless the tree files a claim..

- Ken

Harm
48,598 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 11:09 |  #3788

kpratte wrote in post #17962683 (external link)
Sounds about right.. I have Amica and they are more expensive than Geico and several others, but so is everyone else more expensive than Geico and Progressive. When lightening struck a tree next to my house and fried some electronic stuff (garage door opener, furnace control board, and thermostat, Amica covered all of it and my deductible was covered by them reimbursing me for the labor that would have been charged to replace those items that I did myself.

When I had work done on my car years ago I heard about how the auto insurance industry can be rather shady doing things like forcing you to use their affiliated shop and not covering the full cost of replacing an item because they feel it would make the car better. (e.g. if you had bald tires, got into an accident, tires popped, even if it wasn't your fault, Allstate would pro-rate the tire replacement because they are making your car better..the reality is that you need tires that hold air and there isn't exactly a big industry for used tires.)

So, like all things insurance, it pays to ask about things above, along with what happens if you hit a tree with your car, do your rates go up? Amica's rates don't go up unless the tree files a claim..

- Ken

i don;t think you can get allstate in this state now, unless you're grandfathered into an old account...

SmugMug (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,658 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 06, 2016 11:23 |  #3789

I have Ameriprise, both auto and homeowners. So far, after one car accident (not my fault), one dropped lens, and one lost diamond earring, and one roof leak - I could not be happier with them. Both in terms of premiums and the response/payment.

I have a rider on the HO for camera equipment, about $10 per $1000 of value.

Unfortunately, for auto they do not accept everybody - they are very careful about your history.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

s4v8
50 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2016 11:33 |  #3790

Nathan wrote in post #17962639 (external link)
Go through your insurance agent to run a comparison. Then go to a second agency and see if they can get you a better deal. That's what we did when we got our homeowner's policy. A second agent reached out to us, but couldn't match the first agent's coverage. We're with Hanover Insurance for both auto and home - you get a discount for keeping them together (same as most policies, I think). We purchase them through our agent at Castle Edge Insurance in Waltham. We've been very happy with filing claims on our auto.

If I'm speaking with 2 agencies who sell Arbella, will both be the same price or very close? I would think that Arbella premium costs between local agencies "should" be identical.

40D 17-40mm f/4L
1D Mk II 85mm f/1.8

s4v8
50 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2016 11:48 |  #3791

kpratte wrote in post #17962683 (external link)

- Ken

The weird thing about Amica is the automatic dwelling coverage increase of 30%. Amica will tell you your dwelling coverage is $400k which initially seems low, but it really is $400k+30% = $520K dwelling coverage. The extra 30% doesn't carry over into things like personal property coverage (70% of dwelling coverage) and other structures coverage (10% of dwelling coverage). I'm not too worried about the personal property coverage, but I do have a small barn sized garage. I guess I'm not sure how much it would cost to replace the garage if a tree fell on it.

Other than that their reps have been really easy to talk to.

40D 17-40mm f/4L
1D Mk II 85mm f/1.8

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 06, 2016 15:29 |  #3792

Talking about trees falling, I'm getting estimates to remove some of our trees in the backyard.

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 06, 2016 15:52 |  #3793

I have USAA for all that stuff except my equipment. Love them. Car insurance, renters, etc.

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

Harm
48,598 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2016 16:48 |  #3794

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #17963000 (external link)
I have USAA for all that stuff except my equipment. Love them. Car insurance, renters, etc.

nice. i know a couple of the board members of USAA, but they never tried to sell it to me!

SmugMug (external link)

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 06, 2016 22:14 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #3795

$$$ depending on location. If they need a crane. I have had tree work recently….Needed a crane because could.t just drop them….cha ching. 1600 for one, 2800 for 2 others ( they were big ones!)

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

sponsored links

393,344 views & 214 likes for this thread
Boston POTN Meet (3)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.