Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5ds Owners

dmead516
198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2016 19:03 |  #1

Hi all
Looking to get into the FF world, and was wondering what those of you who may have had the 5d3 and then transitioned to the 5ds have discovered. I have seen the photo thread for this camera and the shots are amazing. So, can you really tell the difference? And are there any downsides to going to the 5ds vs the 5d3? I will be shooting graduating seniors, as well as landscapes and wildlife. For sports/horse shows I still have my 1d3 which has served me well over the years. Will I have to purchase any additional lenses to be able to capture the 50mp?

thanks for the help. You guys/gals always provide useful info no matter what the topic is!

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 5DMK4, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, , 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

wnichols
177 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 07, 2016 14:00 |  #2

I switched from the 5D3 last summer to the 5DS and have never once looked back. Yes, I can tell a huge difference (others may not have) in several areas.

1. Resolution of course, you can crop an image for days with 50MP. But on top of that the image, if exposed correctly, are amazinly sharp. The amount of detail it can resolve is great. I read someone on a forum mention you should shoot it like a crop camera meaning to keep you shutter speed up to avoid as much camera movement as possible and I find this faily true.

2. White balance is much better than my old 5D3 for some reason. I've RARELY had to adjust WB since getting the 5DS. Add on top of this the anti-flicker tech it has and you won't have to mess with WB again.

3. Auto focus is improved, the 5D3 was no slouch but they did improve it.

As far as upgrading your lenses you look to be in good shape, your 24-70 might benefit from going to the version 2. It won't make a good/sharp lens worse but it will show off any weaknesses it has.

Another benefit I've loved about this camera is the 1.3 & 1.6 crop mode. If you can stand taking a hit in framerate(only 1 FPS less than the 5D3) I promise you that you won't touch your 1D3 ever again. I shoot middle school soccer with mine and the 70-200 and it really shines.

The only downside I've come acros is the file size while working on my computer before I upgraded it. With an average RAW size of 70MB it can tax a good system pretty quick.

Get one and don't look back...

Bill

Sony A7RIII | Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 | Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 | Voigtlander 65mm f/2 APO | Voigtlander 110mm f/2.8 APO

dmead516
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2016 14:48 as a reply to  @ wnichols's post |  #3

Bill
Thanks for the reply. Trying to decide if I really need it or if it is a case of GAS! Just wondering (as a soccer ref and someone who has shot soccer) do you run it at 50mp for the sport/moving object cases? Or do you go to 1.3 crop? Having a hard time justifying the 2800-3k on this, until I get my senior photo business back up and running and can earn a little more to help offset this.

1DMK3, 1DMK4, 1NRS, 5DMK4, 16-35 4.0, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 70-300 4-5.6L, , 17-85, 50 1.8, 18-200, 135L, Mamyia 645AF, Metz 60-Ct-1, Metz 58

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,029 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 08, 2016 07:21 |  #4

I have the 5Dsr and agree with Bill the Resolution is way above any other canon ,I always shoot full res (I do birding ) as it gives all I could wish for.

I do have the 1dxmkII pree ordered but Im still a bit on the fence as I don't think 20mp will cut it unless the MPs are something very much better with the new sensor .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

wnichols
177 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 08, 2016 07:24 |  #5

Oh who REALLY needs 50MP haha. I guess I look at it from the standpoint of it was worth the $800 to upgrade from selling my 5D3 while the 5D3 resale prices were good.

I shoot soccer usually in the 1.6 crop mode so my 70-200 will have a decent reach on it. I've attached a couple of samples, the soccer was cropped maybe another 25% down from the original 1.6x crop. The senior pic wasn't cropped (full frame) at all and was taken with the 70-200 also. The 5DS will make you have a bad case of lens GAS I will admit. I ended up upgrading ALL my lenses because of it, not that's a bad thing but I doubt I would have otherwise.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7RIII | Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 | Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 | Voigtlander 65mm f/2 APO | Voigtlander 110mm f/2.8 APO

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
5ds Owners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.