Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Jan 2016 (Monday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many shots do you take on average per wedding?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 05, 2016 17:44 as a reply to  @ post 17961750 |  #46

So the story really was...

Photographer took photos at a event in a way that I would not.... and then delivered the goods to the clients as they were expecting.

Bit of a non story really.

Peter

sponsored links
bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 05, 2016 22:13 |  #47

Probably. Just struck me as odd. Only reason it caught my attention was because he was using my backdrop to do couples shots. Before you ask, using my backdrop was a non issue. The client asked when she booked me.

I've seen in my lifetime wedding deliverables go from an album of a hundred or so prints to a few hundred digitals and a photo book. The sad part is there have been weddings where my photo booth pics were the only thing delivered. And you can't always tell who is going to come through. I was at one wedding where the photographer didn't even show up.

From my experience it doesn't really matter how many shots you take so long as the quality is there. I would say that most people only really care about the couple of dozen key shots. The rest is just gravy.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2016 09:47 |  #48

Silver-Halide wrote in post #17960961 (external link)
I don't know a ton about video mode but I don't think you capture nearly the resolution as with still frames.

I happen to be one of those guys who blasts 3-6 shots in the manner Vinnie described.

I have observed such 'habitual' shooting and I understand one motivation is increasing the probabililty that ONE photo has everyone with a nice expression and without blinking/closed eyes. So a couple of questions for you...

1. What have you to found to be representative of the actual advantages of multi-exposure bursts...that is, what fraction of the time is the FIRST photo not a good one, but you have to rely upon shot 2,3,4, or 5 to capture a good expression on everyone?
  2. Are there other advantages to your approach which I have not considered?
  3. What fraction of the additional shots taken are merely 'duplicates' of a previous shot, with no useful changes of expression in the group?

In comparison, I was standing in a line waiting to tour the catacombs of Paris. A 20-something woman was in line in front of me with about a half dozen friends. Every time she shot a photo, it was a burst of 3-5 shots, at the frame rate permitted by her camera. So an exposure was taken only 1/4-1/3 sec. apart. That made me wonder how many were merely 'replica' shots of one taken earlier in the series, with no benefit to be gained by taking the additional shot.

I ask because I am a fossil who grew up in the era of film. My approach was to give warning, "one...two..." but press the shutter release a moment before they hear "three' because some folks blink instinctively at the three! And then also take a second shot a moment later, when a lot of folks relax and appear less stilted. But a half second or full second or so would pass before the additional shot, in part due to recycle time but also because film cameras were limited to 1-2 fps rather than the Gatling gun rate of the dSLR.

Covering a wedding with a film camerafor 8 hours might result in 300-350 shots taken, with a relatively small number of 'throw away' shots. So when I hear about 1500 shots in a wedding, I wonder about the benefit derived vs. the 'cost' of burdening the client in the selection process! (My youngest daughter's photographer delivered 1800 shots from 2 or 3 photographers...and she STILL has not chosen the ones for her album 2.5 YEARS later!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 06, 2016 17:25 |  #49

Wilt wrote in post #17962669 (external link)
So when I hear about 1500 shots in a wedding, I wonder about the benefit derived vs. the 'cost' of burdening the client in the selection process! (My youngest daughter's photographer delivered 1800 shots from 2 or 3 photographers...and she STILL has not chosen the ones for her album 2.5 YEARS later!)

The problem there is not how many pics were delivered. The problem is that the photographer isn't pre-designing the album choosing the photos to go in it. I.e. giving the bride and groom a starting point at which to make changes.

I've cut down how many shots I supply over the years. It used to be around 1000 now it is nearer 700. However consistently over the years I have pre-designed albums for couples (mainly 70 or 80 pages albums). I've kept a common stat that 85% of clients make no changes at all and about 13-14% change up to 20 images.

It is not uncommon for couples who want to make their own album up (not from a photographer) to want quantity to choose from. Often in those cases they wouldn't hire a photographer who only supplied 300 pics. Why? Because the files is all they are getting and it is harder for them to get their head around spending say $2000 for 300 pics versus $2000 for 1500. The value proposition just isn't as good.

As for shooting a burst it is beneficial. When you have the shots to select from you can ensure that you have that just right smile or look in every picture. Some may consider it a small difference in just one picture but when it is scaled up over an entire wedding. Lots of small differences add up to make a big difference over all. E.g. the difference in stride when someone is walking... between looking like John Cleese in Monty Python and a film star striding down the red carpet.

I've seen a lot of galleries from some togs whose FB pages would lead one to believe everything they shot was great. But then when seeing entire weddings from them it is remarkable how many not quite right shots there were.

Peter

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2016 17:39 |  #50

Amadauss wrote in post #17881891 (external link)
  • My youngest daughter got 1800 photos and wanted them all, after two years she still has not chosen the photos for the album! She has all the digital files (which makes not having the album totally acceptable!). She has neither inclination nor ability to transfer heads from one shot to another, she has her oldest sister to do that for her if she needs.
    [/LIST]

Have to ask, where they all post processed in some way or just given to you as is?

• I think that is also a big issue. If I deliver 1800 images, I am editing 1800 images... exporting 1800.. transferring 1800.. It's a lot of extra work IMO.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
    Cream of the Crop
    7,402 posts
    Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2016 17:40 |  #51

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #17921069 (external link)
    LOL! Ya think? Back in the day, shooting 6x7 Pentax's (3 of them) ALL day and night I shot upwards of 2 Pro-Pacs of 220 !!!!!!!

I'ma be a optometrist in my next life! :-D

HAH !!! That camera was a BEAST.. What about the Koni Omega...?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Shooting
    Goldmember
    1,552 posts
    Joined Jan 2008

Apr 07, 2016 17:46 |  #52

Seeing about all the weddings I get are very fast paced and I am given very tight schedules to get certain things done, it is a miracle if I can get over 500 images, I deliver between 250-300 most of the time.

Wilt
    Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
    43,929 posts
    Gallery: 1 photo
    Joined Aug 2005

Apr 07, 2016 17:55 |  #53

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17963085 (external link)
    It is not uncommon for couples who want to make their own album up (not from a photographer) to want quantity to choose from..

Given the fact that YOU do not know who, among all the guests, are very important relatives or very close friends from college, etc., just how do your clients deal with the 'I choose the photos to put into your wedding album' ?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
    Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
    Goldmember
    3,266 posts
    Joined Feb 2012

Apr 07, 2016 17:59 |  #54

Wilt wrote in post #17964038 (external link)
    Given the fact that YOU do not know who, among all the guests, are very important relatives or very close friends from college, etc., just how do your clients deal with the 'I choose the photos to put into your wedding album' ?!

You make sure you have photos of everyone. We make it a point at each wedding to go around getting photos of all the families / groups in attendance. Since my wife and I both shoot and we both make this point there has not yet come a point where we do not have photos of someone in attendance. When delivering photos (we would do the same for an album) we make sure those photos are included.

memoriesoftomorrow
    Goldmember
    3,846 posts
    Joined Nov 2010

Apr 07, 2016 19:34 |  #55

Wilt wrote in post #17964038 (external link)

For your benefit as you didn't read this the first time...

"I have pre-designed albums for couples (mainly 70 or 80 pages albums). I've kept a common stat that 85% of clients make no changes at all and about 13-14% change up to 20 images."

The remaining 1-2% make more than 20 image changes.

I've been doing this for early 9 years and well over 200 weddings. It isn't difficult to get it very close to what the couple want straight off the bat... after all that is part of what I'm being paid to do.

Peter

elrey2375
    Thinks it's irresponsible
    4,992 posts
    Gallery: 2 photos
    Joined Nov 2011
    Post edited over 4 years ago by elrey2375.

Apr 07, 2016 21:35 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #56

I would say you've been lucky up to this point in not having more people who want to pick and choose their own photos for their albums. You also come off a bit pushy, so I could see you simply overpowering them into it. And your 85 percent stat is iffy. You have no idea if they actually like the pics you chose, don't really care or just want the whole thing done for them and don't want to bother with going through and picking each individual photo to be included. Who has that kind of time? But then again, I'm just the guy who thinks it's irresponsible... LOL

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
    http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
    Goldmember
    3,266 posts
    Joined Feb 2012

Apr 07, 2016 22:14 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #57

I would have no problem putting together an album for my clients. I already narrow it down from during our culling. That's part of why they choose to work with us. Unless your doing an album with 10 images your probably doing a good job telling the story of the day and getting images with most people in them.

memoriesoftomorrow
    Goldmember
    3,846 posts
    Joined Nov 2010
    Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Apr 08, 2016 00:45 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #58

I go by my reviews and the feedback I get from clients. Given I have well over a third of my clients having left reviews on the website I do actually have a good idea. I suggest you have a good read of them. It pays not to assume... you do that a lot.

As always though you apparently know more about my business and my clients than I do... sigh.

Peter

frugivore
    Goldmember
    3,089 posts
    Gallery: 11 photos
    Joined Aug 2010
    Post edited over 4 years ago by frugivore.

Apr 08, 2016 07:22 |  #59

elrey2375 wrote in post #17964265 (external link)
    I would say you've been lucky up to this point in not having more people who want to pick and choose their own photos for their albums. You also come off a bit pushy, so I could see you simply overpowering them into it. And your 85 percent stat is iffy. You have no idea if they actually like the pics you chose, don't really care or just want the whole thing done for them and don't want to bother with going through and picking each individual photo to be included. Who has that kind of time? But then again, I'm just the guy who thinks it's irresponsible... LOL

I guess it's like buying a bouquet of flowers from a flower store. Some might be specific about what flowers they want. Other people just say, "make me a bouquet for $60" and just fork over the money because this flower store may be well known for creating a great final product.

And that's what most people hire photographers for - a final product. Is this final product "a set of images ready to be culled for placement in an album" or is it "a well-designed album ready to view"? I think it's the latter.

bigVinnie
    835 posts
    Joined Jul 2010

Apr 08, 2016 10:18 |  #60

From my way too many years of experience I can tell you there is no such thing as an average client. Not even average groups of clients.

What people want varies by region, age, and even professions. When it comes to weddings there are so many variables that it is impossible to have a one size fits all mentality.

I meet a lot of wedding shooters in my business. The ones that I see repeatedly are working the same venues and the same size and style weddings. It's good to have a niche.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

23,336 views & 42 likes for this thread
    How many shots do you take on average per wedding?
    FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.