Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 08 Apr 2016 (Friday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What entry level camera do you recommend?

vienhuynh
308 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 08, 2016 18:28 |  #1

Hello guys, so the story is my friend want to try out photography as a new hobby. He asked me for help with choosing an entry level camera with a budget of $600. Looking over comparison, on Canon side, the T5i seems to be the best choice but costco has it for $750, over budget. Nikon seems to have the D3300 which is probably better as an entry at $600. Should I push him into the dark side?

6D|Canon EF 24-70mmL f2.8ii|Canon EF 17-40mmL|Canon 70-200mmL f2.8 ii|Dolica

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 08, 2016 18:50 |  #2

Have him check out the refurb bodies on Canon's site. $310 gets a T5 (not the i), 18-55 and 75-300.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,323 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 08, 2016 18:59 |  #3

Or have him check into the used market for a T3i/50D/60D with EF-S 18-55/55-250 lenses. Those should combine to give him a good, solid foundation with decent image quality.
Won't be over the top and he xan figure out what type/style of shooting he wants to do, while learning to compose/expose images correctly.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

m.eo.w
82 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Apr 08, 2016 19:04 |  #4

5D classic: <$400 used
1DS Mark II: ~$500 used
7D: <$500 used
Just $100 more will open up better options like the 5D Mark II, D700, and A7.

I recommend the Tamron 28-75 for an entry level lens, it's only downfall is its cheap build and AF motor.

Canon 1Dx - Sigma 120-300 2.8
Canon 5DII - Canon 24-70 L 2.8
Canon 7D - Canon 40STM 2.8
Canon FT - 55 1.2

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 08, 2016 21:33 |  #5

What is your friend looking to shoot?

If it's sports or fast loving subjects I'd say a used 60D or rebel with an stm zoom/zooms (18-55mm, 18-135, 55-250)

If it's mainly static or slow moving subjects I'd suggest a mirrorless like a used Fuji X-e2 with an 18-55 or a Sony a6000.

Their money will be stretched further buying used or refurbished.

m.eo.w
82 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by m.eo.w.

Apr 10, 2016 09:37 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #6

Personally having owned the 60D and 7D, the 7D is much better value

7D:
-better build quality (metal)
-faster burst rate
-faster card write for magic lantern/buffer clearing
-better weather sealing
-better AF
-better viewfinder? at least it has a bigger eye cup

60D:
-tilt screen

Difference in cost used is under $100

Canon 1Dx - Sigma 120-300 2.8
Canon 5DII - Canon 24-70 L 2.8
Canon 7D - Canon 40STM 2.8
Canon FT - 55 1.2

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
14,019 posts
Gallery: 2103 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 10, 2016 09:56 |  #7

vienhuynh wrote in post #17965203 (external link)
Hello guys, so the story is my friend want to try out photography as a new hobby. He asked me for help with choosing an entry level camera with a budget of $600. Looking over comparison, on Canon side, the T5i seems to be the best choice but costco has it for $750, over budget. Nikon seems to have the D3300 which is probably better as an entry at $600. Should I push him into the dark side?

Really depends on what your friend what's to shoot.

Right now, on the used market, the 7D is simply too good of a deal, around $450 used often. It's a beast of a camera, more than your friend will know what to do with at first, and it will not hold them back in any way.

18-55 STM is a great inexpensive starting lens, again, used/refurb, cheap along with a 55-250 STM to match, all bases covered really.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Apr 10, 2016 17:47 |  #8

It depends on what they want to shoot and when they want to use it/what type of person they are. Anything from an Olympus PEN to a used 7D could be a good option. There's seriously no such thing as a "bad" camera these days in my opinion.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2016 18:13 |  #9

Without a doubt I'd recommend the Nikon D3300 kit at Costco. That comes with the twin lens kit, which Nikon has "shrunk" a bit to be more compact, and the D3300 is almost SL1 sized so a rather small camera. Nikon's 24mp APS-C sensor is quite superior to any of the 18mp Canon APS-C sensors on previous models like the T5i.

These entry level DSLRs are also more user friendly. I'm going to respectfully disagree with the folks here recommending used 7Ds or 5D classics, for a guy that's getting into photography as a hobby without clear direction, I don't think that makes much sense and might just overwhelm him instead.

Finally, I'd recommend the Costco kit because of Costco's excellent 90 day return policy on cameras. That should give him plenty of time to try it out, see how he likes it, whether he wants to keep doing photography as a hobby, etc. Heck 90 days might be enough time to decide he wants to go all out and buy a D750 instead.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 10, 2016 18:16 |  #10

Sony A6000.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 10, 2016 18:23 |  #11

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17967417 (external link)
Without a doubt I'd recommend the Nikon D3300 kit at Costco. That comes with the twin lens kit, which Nikon has "shrunk" a bit to be more compact, and the D3300 is almost SL1 sized so a rather small camera. Nikon's 24mp APS-C sensor is quite superior to any of the 18mp Canon APS-C sensors on previous models like the T5i.

These entry level DSLRs are also more user friendly. I'm going to respectfully disagree with the folks here recommending used 7Ds or 5D classics, for a guy that's getting into photography as a hobby without clear direction, I don't think that makes much sense and might just overwhelm him instead.

Finally, I'd recommend the Costco kit because of Costco's excellent 90 day return policy on cameras. That should give him plenty of time to try it out, see how he likes it, whether he wants to keep doing photography as a hobby, etc. Heck 90 days might be enough time to decide he wants to go all out and buy a D750 instead.

maverick75 wrote in post #17967419 (external link)
Sony A6000.

These are both great choices.

I would lean toward the a6000 for the more modern features like built in WiFi (no, I don't count the band-aid solution Nikon offers) and the advantages that an EVF can offer a new photographer like exposure preview, focus peaking, face tracking, etc. I also find the size is more appealing to most people.

I recently recommended an Olympus PEN to someone for those same reasons and she loves it, has really been getting into taking pics of everything. She told me she was really glad I told her about the smaller mirrorless options because she thinks she wouldn't have used a DSLR nearly as much... but as I said in my last post, it really depends on the person for who will enjoy what more.

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,421 posts
Gallery: 487 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 10, 2016 18:26 |  #12

vienhuynh wrote in post #17965203 (external link)

Is the budget including the lens ?
Does your friend know that the camera is not important, at all, but the quality of the lens is?

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2016 18:36 |  #13

I will also throw a couple of other options out there that I recommend some people getting into photography.

First is to just skip interchangeable lenses altogether. This is because a lot of people that get ILC cameras usually just stick with the kit lens. Fixed lens compact cameras have gotten ridiculously good over the last couple of years. Something like the Panasonic LX100 is a very solid camera. Fast lens, fairly large sensor for a small camera, 4k video, wifi. Easily found for under $600 these days.

Another option is a Fuji camera. I previously did not recommend Fuji cameras for people getting into photography just because the dials/ergonomics and rather sluggish AF might have turned some people off. But the AF speed is much improved now, and a model like the X-T10 has full auto mode. I feel like a Fuji with the 18-55 is basically all the camera someone may need for a long time. And Fujis JPEGs are amazing, and since most beginners don't shoot in raw, the images coming out of the Fuji SOOC may be the most pleasing.

But like others have said, just so many different options now. The choices may be nice for more experienced photographers, but I think for people looking to get into the hobby it's quite overwhelming these days. 5 years ago the RX100 didn't exist and mirrorless was still fairly undeveloped, so I could just say get a Canon T2i or T3i and call it a day.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 10, 2016 18:48 |  #14

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17967428 (external link)
Is the budget including the lens ?
Does your friend know that the camera is not important, at all, but the quality of the lens is?

The quality of the light is far more important than either. Some of my favorite shots even today were taken with a $200 (new) Sigma 18-50mm on a T2i.

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17967443 (external link)
I will also throw a couple of other options out there that I recommend some people getting into photography.

First is to just skip interchangeable lenses altogether. This is because a lot of people that get ILC cameras usually just stick with the kit lens. Fixed lens compact cameras have gotten ridiculously good over the last couple of years. Something like the Panasonic LX100 is a very solid camera. Fast lens, fairly large sensor for a small camera, 4k video, wifi. Easily found for under $600 these days.

Another option is a Fuji camera. I previously did not recommend Fuji cameras for people getting into photography just because the dials/ergonomics and rather sluggish AF might have turned some people off. But the AF speed is much improved now, and a model like the X-T10 has full auto mode. I feel like a Fuji with the 18-55 is basically all the camera someone may need for a long time. And Fujis JPEGs are amazing, and since most beginners don't shoot in raw, the images coming out of the Fuji SOOC may be the most pleasing.

But like others have said, just so many different options now. The choices may be nice for more experienced photographers, but I think for people looking to get into the hobby it's quite overwhelming these days. 5 years ago the RX100 didn't exist and mirrorless was still fairly undeveloped, so I could just say get a Canon T2i or T3i and call it a day.

I disagree about the ILC... I think people who actually get into photography will eventually definitely want to change their lenses, for me that desire happened pretty early on.

I also disagree about the Fuji... as much as I love mine, their cameras for the most part just aren't setup very well for a beginner, they're also relatively expensive compared to the other beginner options on the market.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,421 posts
Gallery: 487 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 11, 2016 00:18 |  #15

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17967447 (external link)
The quality of the light is far more important than either. Some of my favorite shots even today were taken with a $200 (new) Sigma 18-50mm on a T2i.

Unless the law of physics has changed (which I am not aware yet) the "quality" of the light (you are speaking about) will always pass first by the lens before to hit the camera's sensor (BTW I am not speaking about any given price of a lens).

In other words, put a bad lens in front of a good sensor even with the best light ever, you will get a bad image! because it's the lens which will project the image on the sensor!
and I am (still) not saying that an expensive lens is mandatory for a quality lens...

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

4,245 views & 16 likes for this thread
What entry level camera do you recommend?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.