Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Apr 2016 (Monday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Firing more than one flash remotely from 70d.

khwaja
803 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 11, 2016 16:22 |  #1

Hi,
I have Yongnuo and Aperlite flashes. Wondering if it is possible to fire both of them together remotely from 70D. Does 70d automatically calculate FE based on both the flashes? Is it possible to fire these flashes remotely from 70D. So far I am able to use Yongnuo only by mounting on top of 70d.

Thanks,

Canon SL2, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 OS, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, 10-18mm STM, 55-250mm STM.

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,717 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 12, 2016 04:07 |  #2

As far as the Yongnuo flash, and probably the other one as well, it will depend on exactly which models of flashgun you have. The capability is far more flash dependent than camera. Yongnuo for example make flashguns that range from basic fully manual right through to ones that are fully ETTL II capable for OCF. It sounds to me as if you have a unit with more limited capability than you require. I have noticed that when it comes to the Yongnuo and Nweer flashguns on Amazon that the capability is often often in truth much less than is implied by the accompanying text.

You will need to let us know the exact model details of both your flashguns.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

khwaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 12, 2016 15:39 |  #3

BigAl007 wrote in post #17969102 (external link)
As far as the Yongnuo flash, and probably the other one as well, it will depend on exactly which models of flashgun you have. The capability is far more flash dependent than camera. Yongnuo for example make flashguns that range from basic fully manual right through to ones that are fully ETTL II capable for OCF. It sounds to me as if you have a unit with more limited capability than you require. I have noticed that when it comes to the Yongnuo and Nweer flashguns on Amazon that the capability is often often in truth much less than is implied by the accompanying text.

You will need to let us know the exact model details of both your flashguns.

Alan

Hi Elan,
I have Yongnuo yn-500e and Aperlite yh-700c. Both of them are capable of TTL and HSS.

Thanks

Canon SL2, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 OS, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, 10-18mm STM, 55-250mm STM.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 12, 2016 15:47 |  #4

Do you have any triggers? Or are you hoping to do this via pop up flash?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

khwaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 12, 2016 16:02 |  #5

travisvwright wrote in post #17969693 (external link)
Do you have any triggers? Or are you hoping to do this via pop up flash?

I am planning to use pop up flash. I do not have any triggers. Looks like I have to set one of the wireless function on 70D and put flashes on slave 1 option. I might need to play around with channels and groups.
I am thinking of using two instead of one to take a pics of bigger group.

Thanks

khwaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by khwaja.

Apr 13, 2016 11:23 |  #6

I have checked out manuals for YN-500EX and Apertile 700 flash. I am able fire in wireless mode by putting them into ETTL slave C mode. I set wireless setting on camera to remote flash only instead of mixing with pop up flash. In order to use both of them, I think I have to make one flash as group A and another flash as group B. Then select all the groups (AB) or A+B option. Is AB, A+B and A:B with 1:1 ration, are ending up producing same output.
My idea is, to use both the flashes in order to have lot of flash power to shoot at F8, 1/160 and low ISO (100 or 200). It gives me room to adjust later in case I screw up flash exposure. I am also planning to take group pics of lot of people.
Are these flashes going to work inside indoor basketball stadium or gymnasium with very high ceilings. Do I have enough power to bounce off flash from ceiling.

Thanks,

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,817 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 13, 2016 14:32 |  #7

The optical remote Control system allows any number of flashes to belong to the same group. If you want them to do the same, they can all be in group A.

Anders

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,717 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 13, 2016 16:55 |  #8

khwaja wrote in post #17970492 (external link)
Are these flashes going to work inside indoor basketball stadium or gymnasium with very high ceilings. Do I have enough power to bounce off flash from ceiling.

Thanks,

That is really a "how long is a piece of string?" question. You will only be able to find out when you visit each individual location, and will also be determined by camera settings that you are willing to use.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,817 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by apersson850. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2016 03:33 |  #9

A "very high" ceiling that's not white either is usually not working with any kind of flash you could put on the camera's hot shoe.
It's better done with things like this one.

IMAGE: http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/WWII_Anti_Aircraft_Searchlight_Trailer_and_Dolly_System_Army_resize.jpg

Anders

khwaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2016 13:07 |  #10

Thanks for the information Anders and Alan. I will try putting both the flashes in same A group. Camera should consider power of both and fire them in order to achieve metered exposure through ETTL right?
I will check it out ceiling height and color. I will also try flashing from side wall if possible. While firing flash from ceiling or side wall, do i need to add FEC. Camera is going to meter for whatever it is seeing from lens. But if we are firing indirectly (ceiling or side wall), there won't be enough light as metered by camera.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,817 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2016 14:42 |  #11

When metering, the camera will ask all flashes in the same group to fire at the same time, in order to measure how much light they can provide. At least in theory, it doesn't matter if the flash is aimed straight on or bounced. But some people have measured different results. Try it out. You can see if the flash was able to provide the light required when you take a photo, or in advance, if you use FEL.

Anders

sponsored links

2,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firing more than one flash remotely from 70d.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.