Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 11 Apr 2016 (Monday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Diffusion Material?

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2016 12:04 |  #1

Looking for large pieces of diffusion material - need rolls to make large curtains, the wider the better but could probably work with 8-10ft wide on a roll so I could make multiple 8-10 ft tall curtains. Anyone done this before or found specific fabric that would work?

Thanks
James

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 13, 2016 19:54 |  #2

I'm making big diffusion panels right now, actually :) www.rosebrand.com (external link) carries all the large-width diffusion fabrics you'll need.

James33
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 15, 2016 13:37 |  #3

Thanks!!!!

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

Joker-USMC
52 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 22, 2016 13:03 as a reply to  @ charro callado's post |  #4

I've been looking for similar material. Thanks for the link!

Ramon-uk
766 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2016 09:22 |  #5

if you only need a small quantity of diffusion material then buy a cheap waterproof mattress cover, not the PVC type but the one that is made from a fibre base with a thin plastic film covering. This gives excellent diffusion with a light loss of about 2/3 of a stop, also very little effect on white balance.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
14,321 posts
Gallery: 548 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 21, 2016 11:02 |  #6

Just get ripstop nylon, which is what I used when making a diffusion light panel some years ago.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 21, 2016 13:15 |  #7

SYS wrote in post #18219768 (external link)
Just get ripstop nylon, which is what I used when making a diffusion light panel some years ago.

This ^.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 21, 2016 17:35 |  #8

Ripstop nylon is a great material, but it does come with some minor catches that can be easy to trip up with if you aren't aware of them.

Namely it is the actual colour of them, how much it can vary from batch to batch, and how it can change over time. Things like optical whiteners are some of the 'most fun', which can do weird things and lead to 'blotchy' look if you're ever trying to use one as a rear-lit backlight. But the 'white' in the nylon can break down at different rates, and lead to subtle colour casts from different lights, and even new stuff from the same line can vary slightly from different rolls made by the same manufacturer.

So do remember to check your relative colour balance between each piece you get, and be careful when adding more or replacing some of your ripstop nylon with new material. And then remember to double check things before doing any 'big projects' if you haven't taken the time to carefully go over your gear in awhile. "White isn't always 'white'" is a simple little thing can end up being easily forgotten, and then leave you wondering why there is a slight colour cast on only part of a photo.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 22, 2016 11:13 |  #9

Luckless wrote in post #18220051 (external link)
Ripstop nylon is a great material, but it does come with some minor catches that can be easy to trip up with if you aren't aware of them.

Namely it is the actual colour of them, how much it can vary from batch to batch, and how it can change over time. Things like optical whiteners are some of the 'most fun', which can do weird things and lead to 'blotchy' look if you're ever trying to use one as a rear-lit backlight. But the 'white' in the nylon can break down at different rates, and lead to subtle colour casts from different lights, and even new stuff from the same line can vary slightly from different rolls made by the same manufacturer.

So do remember to check your relative colour balance between each piece you get, and be careful when adding more or replacing some of your ripstop nylon with new material. And then remember to double check things before doing any 'big projects' if you haven't taken the time to carefully go over your gear in awhile. "White isn't always 'white'" is a simple little thing can end up being easily forgotten, and then leave you wondering why there is a slight colour cast on only part of a photo.

Excellent point!

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 24, 2016 11:44 |  #10

I've used plastic diffusion material intended for greenhouses. I see some online that's 32 feet in the narrow dimension!

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 24, 2016 19:11 |  #11

Another vote for ripstop, used it to make a 6x6' diffusiun panel before. Can't remember the price but I want to say ~$7 yd at JoAnns Fabrics if you've got one near you.

alexdavid63911
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2020

Oct 07, 2020 11:35 as a reply to  @ tdlavigne's post |  #12

http://www.saaria.com/ (external link)
Provides better curtains than any other brand online and at the best prices, do check them they truly are awesome.

ra40
Goldmember
1,820 posts
Gallery: 767 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 07, 2020 16:00 |  #13

For slightly smaller sizes using shower curtains and liners also work well. Home Goods, Bed Bath Beyond, etc.

petrochemist
110 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2021

Feb 06, 2021 12:07 |  #14

Not suitable for a large diffuser but I find tracing paper that's been laminated works quite well as a weak diffuser when shooting macro. Other laminated paper can work well for relectors & backgrounds (I tend to use fine wet & dry on one side to dull surface reflections)

Mike
Compulsive photographic dabbler

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,728 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2021 13:22 |  #15

Keep in mind the fact that cloth 'diffusers' do not completely eliminate hotspots in source lighting when only a single layer is used. That is why commercially offered softboxes often use double diffusion designs.

Decades ago, there were 4' x 8' frames from Lightforms and later from Photoflex that could hold open single-diffusion panels...you simply had to put your lighting far enough away and in the right location to avoid hotspots.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

5,996 views & 8 likes for this thread
Diffusion Material?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.