Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BE ON THE LOOKOUT! STOLEN GEAR!

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 13, 2016 20:30 as a reply to  @ post 17970996 |  #16

There are a lot of lessons to be learned here. I'm sending my best vibes your way and hoping the items are recovered with no damage.

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links
RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 13, 2016 23:40 |  #17

Good luck and I hope you find it. Sucks to hear about the situation.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2016 01:41 |  #18

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #17970422 (external link)
I have a strong idea who took the package...he was however at my house after I put the package out & before I noticed it missing...never rang my door bell, didn't call me, didn't txt me...

Do you normally expect drug addicts that rob from you to call or text you to announce their intent to rob you? Why would they have your number? I feel like we're missing some critical information here, like this "suspect" is someone you know really well. Sounds like a local, personal matter, and to be honest, the chance of anyone here ever coming across these items is probably as near zero as makes no difference.

If a couple weeks go by without the police finding the stuff, you could look for it in nearby pawn shops, and report it to the police if you find it (without showing any interest in it, or tipping off the shop why you're there). People who steal for their habit generally sell the goods locally for cash, and not usually to the kinds of places that sell stuff online with the serial numbers conveniently displayed, nor the kind that will go out of their way to help you recover stolen goods if they've just paid for them (because then it's their loss). Don't contact pawn shops directly with any of the information you have, you'll only tip them off to put the stuff on the DL if they've bought it.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 14, 2016 09:36 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #19

no i dont normally expect drug addicts to announce their intent...he has my # because he's my cousin...2wks ago when he got out of jail, which i had no idea he was out, he randomly popped up at my house to give me the "good news" of his release...after that day, i havent seen the white of his eyes...in our entire lives, he's never done anything that would have hurt me physically, mentally, or financially...but apparently, his habit has reached a new high (no pun intended)...and it quite possibly is a local, personal matter, & i'm very aware that the items will most likely not end up on a forum such as this one or ones like it...but you know what, getting the word out is the most important thing to me...just in case the items pop up after they've been traded hands a few times & quite possibly even moved out of the Austin, TX area

i have already reported everything to the Austin Police Department, all descriptions, all serial #s, eye witness placing subject at the scene, etc etc etc...the police departments database is linked to the pawn shops daily intake report, if any of the items show up on their system, ill get them back & the person who pawned them will have an arrest warrant put out...im absolutely aware of how drug addicts get rid of stuff they steal...they typically trade the goods off for their drug of choice for a fraction of what the items are worth...im hoping that at some point down the line, maybe the 2nd, 3rd, 4th "owner" will slip up & pawn the items or list them on craigslist or maybe one of the 5miles, letgo apps...drug addicts arent the smartest people in the world, they make mistakes like everyone else, their mistakes have harsher consequences when caught

lahawtho
37 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2016 09:55 |  #20

Bummer, I'm sorry for the loss. Hope the police can help out.

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by ExplicitSnow. (3 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2016 11:55 |  #21

So I have a question regarding copyright issues, strictly pertaining to this theft that happened Tuesday
The gear stolen was rented gear from an online supplier...I immediately notified APD as well as "online supplier" of the theft...today the owner of that company sent an email to the editor of an outlet I work with...
---------------
Name: "owner"
Email: "owner email"
Please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx about a legal matter involving images produced by Steven Snow. There could be copy write issues if you post his images on your website.
Thanks,
"owner"
"online supplier"
---------------
I assume he's claiming copyright issues because the images from MotoGP I have are majority shot with the camera/lens I rented from him...
Is there any validity in this claim?
Thanks

---------------RENTAL AGREEMENT Part 11---------------
11. Possession and Surrender

The customer is in possession of the equipment, and fully responsible for the equipment, from the time the equipment is delivered to the location at the address supplied by the customer as the shipping address, excluding apartment or unit numbers, until the equipment is received by "online supplier". All packaging material is the property of "online supplier" and the customer will be charged a replement fee if it is not returned. Notification of a shipping container being received by "online supplier" from the Customer is not an acknowledgment that "online supplier" is in possession of the equipment and accessories, or to the condition of the equipment. "online supplier" reserves the right to delay acknowledgment of the return of the equipment until the contents of shipping containers have been examined.To discourage customers from not returning on time, "online supplier" retains ownership and copy write of all images produced by the equipment after the end date of the rental.

The Customer is in possession of the Equipment when the customer or a person or entity associated with the shipping address signs for the delivery of the equipment or takes possession of the equipment, including but not limited to family members, roommates, doormen, rental offices, mail rooms, or any other person at the shipping address.

On or before the Return Date, the Customer shall surrender the Equipment to "online supplier" or a shipping agent, including all accessories, attachments, instruction guides and manuals, by delivering the Equipment to "online supplier", "online supplier" agent, FedEx, UPS, or the US Postal Service in good condition and working order, ordinary wear and tear excepted, as it was at the commencement of the Lease.

The Customer shall not deposit the equipment in self-service collection devices (drop boxes). All equipment will be surrendered at staffed shipping locations. The Customer will obtain a receipt from the shipping agent as proof that the Equipment has been surrendered.

---------------

anyone out there see anything that stands out to them right away? I've had people note that "copy write" and "copyright" are 2 separate things & that alone will discredit the "Rental Agreement"

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 14, 2016 11:57 as a reply to  @ post 17970996 |  #22

I feel for you buddy; my gears were stolen two weeks ago. The police has the serial numbers and an image of my 1Dx with a very unique mark on it. Hopefully they show in the pawn shop soon so I can get them back!

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 14, 2016 12:22 |  #23

Steven,

From a consideration standpoint, it's generally not cool to display other people's full name, email address, and phone number on a public post unless you have their permission. Aside from whatever legal issue it is you're potentially facing, there are also spambots that automatically harvest that info for spammers.

Just thought I'd give you a heads-up. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on your copyright question.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2016 13:00 |  #24

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #17971692 (external link)
So I have a question regarding copyright issues, strictly pertaining to this theft that happened Tuesday
The gear stolen was rented gear from an online supplier...I immediately notified APD as well as LensGiant of the theft...today the owner of that company sent an email to the editor of an outlet I work with...
---------------
Name: "owner"
Email: "owner email"
Please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx about a legal matter involving images produced by Steven Snow. There could be copy write issues if you post his images on your website.
Thanks,
"owner"
"online supplier"
---------------
I assume he's claiming copyright issues because the images from MotoGP I have are majority shot with the camera/lens I rented from him...
Is there any validity in this claim?

What the actual f***!?

Not only does your situation have zero relevance to the copyright of the images, this business owner has seriously overstepped his bounds in contacting your clients. That is unprofessional to the extreme. The equipment theft issue is between you, the rental company and your respective insurers, and that's where it ends. If the rental company is contacting your clients inappropriately, in a way that ultimately harms your reputation or costs you work**, you have grounds for a civil suit that will dwarf the lost equipment costs.

**In a real and demonstrable way (not hypothetical), directly due to said rental outfit suggesting in writing that you don't own the copyright on images you submitted for publication.

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 14, 2016 13:01 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #25

my thoughts exactly

steve67
159 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 14, 2016 13:34 |  #26

The whole situation sucks, I hope you get your gear back, I'll keep my open in San Antonio, hope they castrate the guilty party.

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/100mm f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 14, 2016 13:51 |  #27

Just FYI, for those who rent gear and haven't read the fine print, none of the major photo equipment rental houses offer insurance against loss or theft. If they did, they've have unscrupulous people 'buying' their gear for the cost of the insurance/deposit by pretending to lose it. Some require the renter to show proof of their own gear insurance to rent the really expensive tele lenses and cinema cams.

The damage insurance you purchase covers typical in-use damage, and does not generally include water damage. You can expect to be 100% responsible for the replacement cost of lost, stolen or submarine items.

That said, I think there is one rental business I can strike from my list of places I'd do business with, so thanks for that heads up.

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Apr 14, 2016 14:10 |  #28

I can't believe you've had this druggy randomly turning up at your house, and still you left $6,000 worth of camera gear unattended on your doorstep....
I sincerely hope you recover the gear....but you were asking for something like this to happen.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 14, 2016 14:21 |  #29

absplastic wrote in post #17971744 (external link)
What the actual f***!?

Not only does your situation have zero relevance to the copyright of the images, this business owner has seriously overstepped his bounds in contacting your clients. That is unprofessional to the extreme. The equipment theft issue is between you, the rental company and your respective insurers, and that's where it ends. If the rental company is contacting your clients inappropriately, in a way that ultimately harms your reputation or costs you work**, you have grounds for a civil suit that will dwarf the lost equipment costs.

**In a real and demonstrable way (not hypothetical), directly due to said rental outfit suggesting in writing that you don't own the copyright on images you submitted for publication.

I agree. Provided that we have the whole story/complete picture, this rental company may have completely over-stepped their bounds. If they in fact have, it seems like good basis for getting sued.

Bryan

My Gear List

carpenter
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 19, 2016 09:42 |  #30

absplastic wrote in post #17971790 (external link)
Just FYI, for those who rent gear and haven't read the fine print, none of the major photo equipment rental houses offer insurance against loss or theft. .

lensrentals.com does. 10% replacement cost deductible (replacement cost, not new cost) but it covers complete loss or theft and pretty much anything else.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

sponsored links

7,772 views & 20 likes for this thread
BE ON THE LOOKOUT! STOLEN GEAR!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.