Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 14, 2016 06:45 |  #1471

umphotography wrote in post #17971012 (external link)
I dont get the Sony band wagon at all....Pointless with the D5 and 1Dx2 release

pointless comparing it to a sports camera.

When sony release a sports camera, then you can start comparing.

its like comparing a 5d3 against a 1dx2

pointless.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 14, 2016 06:46 |  #1472

bps wrote in post #17971056 (external link)
I'm sure that mirrorless cameras will be completely mainstream in photography at some point in our lives, but there are a lot of things that still need to evolve before it gets there...especially for sports and wildlife photographers. There are a host of reasons as to why it's not the perfect solution yet, but just to name a few are build quality/durability, battery life, long lenses, and an AF system that needs to at least match the current pro-series bodies. Don't get me wrong, they can do a lot of neat things, but the development is not there yet for mirrorless to take over.

Cheers,
Bryan

The build quality and battery life are easy to fix.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 14, 2016 06:50 |  #1473

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #17971407 (external link)
Ok, so I've hiked for days with a 1Dx and 21ZE on my back. It was fine. The guys that had the A7 stuff...ran out of batteries 3 days in and were all hoping that we would make it to civilization so they could charge up. I only had two batteries with me and with all the shooting, I was still on the first battery after a week.

Your point?

I too have hiked with my 1Dx and landscape lens but carrying 850g of camera and lens opposed to 2.2KG means a lot to me. I was referring to the article as to why Sony Alpha cameras are a bad idea and have lenses as big as DSLRs, which is simply only true if you cherry pick those lenses.

Anyway, the remaining 1.35 KG I can carry 26 extra Sony batteries (gives me a good month of shooting at 150 shots a day) and have the improved IQ of the Sony sensor and extra res. Or I carry half as many batteries and extra food/water etc. Or just take a smaller bag. Whatever. I know which I prefer to have on my back.

My point, the article is wrong on many points and "I use the best camera for the job, having another player in the game just means more choice".

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 14, 2016 07:54 |  #1474

Neilyb wrote in post #17971324 (external link)
Really? Try hiking a few miles with the A7R and Loxia 21mm compared to a 1Dx with Milvus 21mm. I know which I prefer to have on my back.

That stupid article makes a few good points, but misses by a mile by cherry picking lenses which are large and heavy like their DSLR counterparts and built like that for a reason. Ken Rockwell has nothing on this guy.

I use the best camera for the job, having another player in the game just means more choice. The fact that the new player also makes the best sensors is a bonus in my book (especially as a Canon user).

Because everyone needs a $6k camera with 14fps?

Im hiking Mt Whitney in august. The 1Dx2 will be in the pack with a 35L attached.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps.

Apr 14, 2016 08:11 |  #1475

Well, there's nothing new this morning on the internet regarding the Canon 1D X Mark II, so it looks like we can stir up the SLR vs Mirrorless debate while we wait for May 1st to get here. ;-)a

The funny thing is it really just boils down to horses for courses. Sony mirrorless cameras have some great advantages and great disadvantages, depending on who you are and your needs. Canon SLRs have some great advantages and great disadvantages, depending on who you are and your needs. There's really nothing to defend. One just needs to simply choose whichever one works best for their needs. Or in MedicineMan's case, he just needs to walk over to his most awesome gear shelf and handpick his weapon of choice.

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17971428 (external link)
The build quality and battery life are easy to fix.

Not really. If you beef up the Sony mirrorless camera to match the build quality of the 1DX, and then you made a battery large enough to go the distance, well, the Sony would in fact be as big as the 1DX.

If you want small and light, there are certain compromises that have to be made.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 14, 2016 08:38 |  #1476

bps wrote in post #17971491 (external link)
Not really. If you beef up the Sony mirrorless camera to match the build quality of the 1DX, and then you made a battery large enough to go the distance, well, the Sony would in fact be as big as the 1DX.

If you want small and light, there are certain compromises that have to be made.

Cheers,
Bryan

yes its as simple as that. very easy to do. the AF and EVF quality is harder to achieve and requires more research and development.

They could simply slap on a a7r2 sensor and evf in the 1dx body and call it a day but thats the easy part.

the hard part is getting the 1dx AF like and evf quality up to speed at the fps.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 14, 2016 08:41 |  #1477

umphotography wrote in post #17971479 (external link)
Im hiking Mt Whitney in august. The 1Dx2 will be in the pack with a 35L attached.

I can hike with a a7r2 and a sigma 35mm ART(better than the 35L mk1) and my bag will way far less then yours :)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 14, 2016 09:24 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1478

Thats OK

Im still not going to buy a Sony. But My AF is going to be able to track that falling star at 14000 FT and Im going to get 1000 + shots with my single battery.....so there :twisted::love: :p

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,144 posts
Gallery: 1853 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 14, 2016 09:33 |  #1479

Man I digging this tit for tat. End result is Canon sees Sony on the horizon and has to up their game.
Sony sees Canon on top of the hill and must climb harder.
In my case its a win win.
That said I shot with the little Lumix this morning.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 14, 2016 09:36 |  #1480

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17971512 (external link)
yes its as simple as that. very easy to do. the AF and EVF quality is harder to achieve and requires more research and development.

They could simply slap on a a7r2 sensor and evf in the 1dx body and call it a day but thats the easy part.

the hard part is getting the 1dx AF like and evf quality up to speed at the fps.

That's exactly my point. There is no indication that Sony in interested in redesigning their mirrorless cameras to have a pro-series build quality and to accommodate a drastically larger battery. If so, you would have the same size and weight as a pro-series DSLR. And that's cool. Sony has chosen a different design path and that provides consumers with choices.

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17971514 (external link)
I can hike with a a7r2 and a sigma 35mm ART(better than the 35L mk1) and my bag will way far less then yours :)

Yes you can. Different choices for different folks. Everyone has different priorities and needs.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 14, 2016 09:50 |  #1481

Neilyb wrote in post #17971431 (external link)
I too have hiked with my 1Dx and landscape lens but carrying 850g of camera and lens opposed to 2.2KG means a lot to me. I was referring to the article as to why Sony Alpha cameras are a bad idea and have lenses as big as DSLRs, which is simply only true if you cherry pick those lenses.

Anyway, the remaining 1.35 KG I can carry 26 extra Sony batteries (gives me a good month of shooting at 150 shots a day) and have the improved IQ of the Sony sensor and extra res. Or I carry half as many batteries and extra food/water etc. Or just take a smaller bag. Whatever. I know which I prefer to have on my back.

My point, the article is wrong on many points and "I use the best camera for the job, having another player in the game just means more choice".

While the article may be skewed to show that when used with specific lenses the A7r II doesn't have any weight or size advantage, especially with low capacity batteries requiring lots of spares, in what ways is it " wrong on many points"? Did the author make any statements that were factually incorrect?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

lahawtho
37 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2016 09:53 |  #1482

mwsilver wrote in post #17971583 (external link)
While the article may be skewed to show that when used with specific lenses the A7r II doesn't have any weight or size advantage, especially with low capacity batteries requiring lots of spares, in what ways is it " wrong on many points"? Did the author make any statements that were factually incorrect?

I agree with Goldmember. Stick to the facts! Excited for this camera.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2016 10:34 |  #1483

A7's are for the weak in temperate weather. :)

Honestly though, I don't see any significant weight savings, especially because I shoot a lot of supertelephoto and TS (which would require an adapter or equally large native lens) when travelling.

If you wanted to compare mirrorless with f/4 lenses and f/1.8/2/2.8 lightweight prime options, you need to compare weight and price point to the D610/6D/D750 with their f/4/1.8/2/2.8 prime options.

Add cold weather to that equation, and all of a sudden the mirrorless cameras aren't looking so attractive when you need to keep gloves on.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 14, 2016 10:45 |  #1484

I might reconsider an A7 camera if they put it in a full size body. There are advantages of mirrorless. Why does the camera have to be small? Give me mirrorless with good ergonomics, two card slots, and a decent battery.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 14, 2016 11:56 |  #1485

thenextguy wrote in post #17971628 (external link)
I might reconsider an A7 camera if they put it in a full size body. There are advantages of mirrorless. Why does the camera have to be small? Give me mirrorless with good ergonomics, two card slots, and a decent battery.

you forgot a decent menu that doesnt require a PHD to figure it out :twisted:

I dont know. maybe ive been with canon too long...........Nothing made sense to me when i was playing with it. I handed it back to the sales guy and said no thanks

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

284,957 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.