Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,994 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2016 13:16 |  #1516

mwsilver wrote in post #17972846 (external link)
Do you know if its quieter than the quiet mode on the 7D2? Although it's still audible on the 7D2, it seems to be a very subdued and fairly unobtrusive sound.

I doubt it as the mass of the Mirror even dampened is far bigger.
One day someone will make a wild life camera that has an option of a truly silent shutter .

People often say WOW you got the Owl looking right at you well done er not skill it was looking to see what the really loud noise is that scaring it as it veers off away from you.

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 15, 2016 15:02 |  #1517

mwsilver wrote in post #17972846 (external link)
Do you know if its quieter than the quiet mode on the 7D2? Although it's still audible on the 7D2, it seems to be a very subdued and fairly unobtrusive sound.

there is no possible way that it could be quieter - the mass is far higher

i think this video is a little bit deceptive because it sounds muted - an early video, wasn't in english, it was far louder - what i would call regular 5D3 type sounds - not the silent 5D3 mode

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps.

Apr 15, 2016 16:07 |  #1518

Another second large earthquake hit a few hours ago in Japan. First and foremost, I hope no lives were lost and property damage is minimal. But as a side-note (and said in a way that is not insensitive), I wonder where Canon's production facilities are for their pro-series cameras. Hopefully we don't experience any further delays. Things like this, if they wreck several production facilities, can slow delivery by months.

Bryan

My Gear List

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,825 posts
Gallery: 1787 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 15, 2016 17:12 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #1519

I bet Nikon is pleased it's flagship is already out there.
Second the fear of loss of life. Cameras are fun but not at anyones expense.
Maybe one of the presidential candidates can offer to move production facilities
to the USA.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by docholliday_sc001.

Apr 15, 2016 17:22 |  #1520

bps wrote in post #17973008 (external link)
Another second large earthquake hit a few hours ago in Japan. First and foremost, I hope no lives were lost and property damage is minimal. But as a side-note (and said in a way that is not insensitive), I wonder where Canon's production facilities are for their pro-series cameras. Hopefully we don't experience any further delays. Things like this, if they wreck several production facilities, can slow delivery by months.

Bryan

Well, that quake was really close to Oita...which is home to one of Canon's main plants, including 1Dx and 5D3 production.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,536 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 15, 2016 18:28 |  #1521

Canon's new camera production is causing earthquakes somehow.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 15, 2016 18:38 |  #1522

thenextguy wrote in post #17973159 (external link)
Canon's new camera production is causing earthquakes somehow.

It's the milling of the unobtainium chassis in the 1Dx2...

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2016 19:22 |  #1523

bps wrote in post #17973008 (external link)

So far it appears that at least a dozen people have lost their lives between the two quakes. Today's was an order or magnitude more powerful than Thursday's.

There does appear to be some significant damage near the epicenters...

As for the cameras, I'd be willing to bet that the first production runs of the 1DXIIs are already done and shipped. That would have to be the case for customers to have them in two weeks.

It's likely, however, if the plant is anywhere near these quakes, that there will be delays on later runs.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 15, 2016 19:33 as a reply to  @ Erik S. Klein's post |  #1524

Ouch! Puts our petty worries about cameras into perspective!
Hope there are no more casualties.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps.

Apr 15, 2016 20:25 |  #1525

As I said before, first and foremost, I hope there are no more fatalities and the recovery for the people is as fast as it can be.

On Canon's production front, if they ship cameras by boat, it takes at least 12 days to cross the ocean to the United States. So yes, the first batch would already be packed up and on their way. The second batch would likely be completed already and entering the final stages of packaging and preparing for customs. Now, if Canon ships the cameras by air, they are likely still in the final stages of packaging and have not entered customs yet, which means there could definitely be some delays.

On the personal side, as I explained in an earlier post, I abandoned my first pre-order due to rising currency conversion rates and I made another pre-order with B&H. B&H seems to think that I'll get one in their first shipment, but I have doubts about that. I mean, after all, B&H might be the world's busiest online vendor and I did not get my pre-order in at B&H until the middle of March. So I would not be surprised if I ended up in their 2nd or 3rd run. If the damage from today's earthquake actually damaged Canon's Oita factory, I may not see the camera until sometime deep into the summer or beyond. Again, this is not to overshadow the disaster in any way...just chatting (and speculating) about how this might possibly effect the shipment and distribution for some of Canon's higher-end models.

I guess we'll learn more in the days to come.

Bryan

My Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps. (2 edits in all)

Apr 16, 2016 10:44 |  #1526

I've done some research on the situation in Japan and here it what I've found. Perhaps some other folks can add to this as we learn more.

As dochooliday_sc001 said, the Canon 1DX is manufactured at Canon's plant located in Oita, Japan. Here are a couple of interesting stories on Canon's facility located there:

http://www.digitalvers​us.com …n-oita-factory-a2161.html (external link)
http://www.photoreview​.com.au …Visits-Oita-Canon-Factory (external link)

The most recent 7.3 magnitude earthquake was located 7 miles north of the city of Kumamoto. It was an unusually shallow earthquake, so the damage was quite severe, even more so than what is normally associated with a 7.3 magnitude earthquake. Assessments are still being made, but reports are coming in that significant tremors were felt as far east as the city of Beppu. Canon's facility is located just to the southeast of the city of Oita, perhaps just outside of where significant tremors were felt in Beppu. I've created a graphic below showing these locations.

It is quite possible that Canon's facility might be ok, but we won't know for another few days. What is known is that one of Sony's major manufacturing plants for CMOS camera sensors (and also the sensor used in Apple's iPhone) is located in Kumamoto and may have sustained serious damage. Sony is still assessing the situation and said they will release a report by Monday.

Condolences to all in Japan affected by this disaster.

Bryan

IMAGE: http://www.bryanstokesphotography.com/Other/Forum-Pictures/n-m8M5G/i-3JwbPbS/0/XL/i-3JwbPbS-XL.jpg

My Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,874 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 16, 2016 13:03 |  #1527

bps wrote in post #17973717 (external link)
I've done some research on the situation in Japan and here it what I've found. Perhaps some other folks can add to this as we learn more.

As dochooliday_sc001 said, the Canon 1DX is manufactured at Canon's plant located in Oita, Japan. Here are a couple of interesting stories on Canon's facility located there:

http://www.digitalvers​us.com …n-oita-factory-a2161.html (external link)
http://www.photoreview​.com.au …Visits-Oita-Canon-Factory (external link)

The most recent 7.3 magnitude earthquake was located 7 miles north of the city of Kumamoto. It was an unusually shallow earthquake, so the damage was quite severe, even more so than what is normally associated with a 7.3 magnitude earthquake. Assessments are still being made, but reports are coming in that significant tremors were felt as far east as the city of Beppu. Canon's facility is located just to the southeast of the city of Oita, perhaps just outside of where significant tremors were felt in Beppu. I've created a graphic below showing these locations.

It is quite possible that Canon's facility might be ok, but we won't know for another few days. What is known is that one of Sony's major manufacturing plants for CMOS camera sensors (and also the sensor used in Apple's iPhone) is located in Kumamoto and may have sustained serious damage. Sony is still assessing the situation and said they will release a report by Monday.

Condolences to all in Japan affected by this disaster.

Bryan

QUOTED IMAGE

I wonder if Nikon is impacted, or Sigma and Tamron. I also wonder about the impact to non photography manufacturing.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,825 posts
Gallery: 1787 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 17, 2016 23:36 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #1528

.....and a bad one in Ecuador :(
This is getting personal, that ring of fire (geographically).
I think Iceland is rich with plates? and only 22 days away.
I'll sleep with one eye open.

Great research BPS as always and thanks for sharing.

Speaking of the ring of fire photographically. My 1Div has the
focusing ring of fire....is this doable in the 1DXii ??

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 18, 2016 01:52 |  #1529

umphotography wrote in post #17972166 (external link)
Weather sealing. I live in Washington.

Haha, makes me remember the t-shirt with the text "You can easily tell when it's summer in Seattle. The rain feels a little warmer." :-)

Anders

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2016 11:12 |  #1530

I just noticed on B&H's site:

B&H will be closed starting at 7pm EDT on Thurs April 21. We will reopen at 10am on Sun May 1.

Now this may or may not have anything to do with anything. If the 1DxII shipping date is really May 1 then the real outbound date is going to be May 2 with overnight orders being delivered on May 3 at the earliest. From past experience B&H is going to have a lot of crates to unpack and orders to process when they return from holiday and they may or may not get orders out on Monday AM...

Looking forward to seeing what's what.

Meanwhile my 1Dx is soon headed to Canon for a clean and check pending sale... :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

sponsored links

272,847 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.