Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Future Fuji X100T Owner

Jeff ­ Hanson
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff Hanson. (2 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2016 11:30 |  #16

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #17974702 (external link)
It's not an uncommon sentiment. I've been in the Fuji world for the last few years and I've noticed a lot of photographers (of all stripes) have a strong attachment to the X100 series, with many saying that it would be the last camera to go.

Exactly, Neil. This is what I was trying to express, but didn't put it as well. Of course I frequently pick a more appropriate camera/camera system for some specific or targeted use, but for pure enjoyment of photography, this is the camera I would choose if I could keep only one.

Fuji X....BAAAAM! Renders way different than Sony.
Fuji X....BAAAAM! Renders way different than Sony.

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,010 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 17, 2016 14:12 |  #17

I recently added the x100t to my kit and love it. Its plenty sharp wide open and the af is fast enough for family life with a two year old. I carry it everywhere and have ended up getting some cool shots at work that I would have otherwise missed.

I shot with my mates x100s for a week prior to buying the x100t and have to say its not actually that far off with the latest firmware.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2016 16:22 as a reply to  @ xpfloyd's post |  #18

Eddie, you had the X70 before didn't you? What are your thoughts compared to the X100?

Neil

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 17, 2016 16:32 |  #19

Yep, been wrestling with a lot of the same questions. I just sold off my 24-70ii and some other Canon lenses I have. I'm still keeping the 6D body but I don't know for how long. I'm on the fence between selling it and going completely Fuji, or buying some smallish primes and seeing if I can rekindle my desire to use the DSLR.

The funny thing is in the absence of capable mirrorless cameras, I don't think most people would consider carrying around a DSLR an issue. What I mean by this is if I"m going out casually with my family and my get some pictures, would a 6D + 35mm IS be that cumbersome? Or to go one step further, a 6D + 40mm 2.8? Probably not at all. It's the existence and development of cameras like the X100 series that makes DSLRs feel rather cumbersome, especially for casual shooting.

chronoserge456
48 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 17, 2016 21:44 |  #20

I'm definitely in the same boat and trying to buy a X100T as well. The SOOC pictures just look so beautiful and the camera just seems so easy to take everywhere

Fuji XT-1, Rokinon 12, Fuji 56
Fuji X100T

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 17, 2016 22:24 |  #21

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17975098 (external link)
Yep, been wrestling with a lot of the same questions. I just sold off my 24-70ii and some other Canon lenses I have. I'm still keeping the 6D body but I don't know for how long. I'm on the fence between selling it and going completely Fuji, or buying some smallish primes and seeing if I can rekindle my desire to use the DSLR.

The funny thing is in the absence of capable mirrorless cameras, I don't think most people would consider carrying around a DSLR an issue. What I mean by this is if I"m going out casually with my family and my get some pictures, would a 6D + 35mm IS be that cumbersome? Or to go one step further, a 6D + 40mm 2.8? Probably not at all. It's the existence and development of cameras like the X100 series that makes DSLRs feel rather cumbersome, especially for casual shooting.

It rings true for me. I can't believe that I used to consider a 5D with the nifty fifty my lightweight grab-n-go kit. Now I'm annoyed that a similar Fuji setup can't fit in my pocket. Spoiled!

Neil

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,295 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 17, 2016 23:16 |  #22

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17975098 (external link)

In my particular case I'm extremely critical on image quality on certain things. For example today I took my X-T10 on a family outing / kids swimming lessons. I used my only two fuji lenses 18-55 and 16mm f/1.4 and my casual photos were Ok/good. I've taken similar photos with my 5dmk2 (not my 5d3)and 24-70Lmk2 at the pool and the photos were a substantial big step in IQ for misc casual photos. Certainly a heavier setup but at the end of the day I'm extremely pleased with the 5dmk2 files vs my fuji. Regardless of non critical documentation I'm still critical and have much preference in IQ while I put the effort into taking photos.

Today was just a "whatever" lug a camera for family documentation so I grabbed my Fuji (put it through a "test") I knew I'd take an IQ hit in the environment I was going to be in. The photos were "not good enough" but Okay......On the other hand taking the family out at a park/beach on an overcast day the Fuji was absolutely incredible!!!! For events photography I will take my Canon gear only. It's certainly nice to have a choice in the tools you select in the type of environment you'll be shooting in .

After using the Fuji system for my casual purposes I haven't touched my Micro 4/3 gear. I use my Panny gh3 for video duties in good light now.

The fuji system is so small already so I just think having small f/1.4 primes (and 56 f/1.2) would be a light weight system with so much versatility. However I do fall into a comfort zone assuring maximum IQ with my Canon gear regardless of what light situation.

This is where I'd suggest analyzing your tolerance in IQ. I still prefer manipulating Fuji Raw files but I may try to tweak jpgs .

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,010 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by xpfloyd.

Apr 17, 2016 23:43 |  #23

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #17975091 (external link)
Eddie, you had the X70 before didn't you? What are your thoughts compared to the X100?

I made a thread comparing the two but basically the x70 is a stop slower so settings were always higher indoors. Ultimately I missed the view finder. Loved the touch screen though and the lens was sharp

EDIT - Heres the link - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1455124

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

asr10user
166 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 17, 2016 23:57 |  #24

I am only 48 hours into Fuji ownership (X-E1) and I can say, I am glad I kept my Canon stuff. Like you, I was tired of my big DSLR and wanted an X100. I realized the X-E1 is cheaper, is same size, and is an easy intro into the X-series world. My turning point of being sick of the DSLR was lugging around the huge Sigma 35mm 1.4, that with my 6D was a huge burden and I stopped taking it out. I also had an Rx100 but was tired/bored of it. When I switched to light primes, the experience was much different.

So far, the Fuji is nice, when I got the camera, it had firmware 1.01, I updated it to the latest 2.6 and its night and day. Very appreciate that as Canon does not update FW the same way. I have to say, I cant imagine mirrorless replacing my Canon stuff yet, I cant quite put my finger on it, but its just not the same 'experience' as using a DSLR. I do need a few more weeks of use for a full breakdown.

6D, 50mm Art
G7, 14-42mm, 25mm 1.7, 42.5mm 1.7

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2016 11:25 |  #25

Hey all, thanks for the feedback and passionate words, still doing my research on the Fuji X100T, it still seems it would fit the style and shots I'm wanting to get (Family documentary stuff).
I found a photographer, Zack Arias, who seems to love his X100's, owns like 8 of them? And he too would take this camera first out of his burning house.

Here he discusses the Fuji lineup: http://dedpxl.com …ers-guide-part-1-cameras/ (external link)

Anyways, haven't started my ads yet for my two big zoom red lenses, but I need to.
Guess I'll try to sell them on here or some other websites that are known for gear and trustworthy. Not sure eBay is a great place?
If I can sell the 24-70 2.8 I and 70-200 2.8 I, all excellent conditions, I'm sure I could get enough to fund a X100T and get a good prime for the 5DMK2.

I guess if I were to take off the battery grip on the 5DMK2 and use one single prime lens, it may be a tolerable carry around too?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,295 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 18, 2016 12:56 |  #26

Looking forward in your experience if you buy an X100T.

I was totally into 35mm and now I prefer 24mm. I use both 16mm with my x-T10 and 24Lmk with my Canon Full frames. When you feel you need a change in "perspective/look" a fixed lens will not allow you to do so. I still may buy a fuji 23 f/1.4 just for the sake of less distortion vs my 16mm. I guess my point is your style can change even in a short duration of time.

This thread has really made me think about the X100T. I'm truly trying to find out the magnetism to this product. If there was a Fuji body with a fixed UWA zoom in the same 10-24mm range (fuji lens) I would consider such a camera. However in the fixed 35mm equivalent that strikes me as a very niche camera.

I was enjoying to force myself into using the 18mm f/2.8 (retaining that FL) with my kit lens when I first bought my new X-T10. Even the 55mm range at f/4 was producing fantastic portraits with generous dof but still pleasing to the eyes. Even the small system feels like "nothing" compared to lugging a full frame body.

Before you jump the gun why not buy a new design Canon 35 f/2 IS. It would kill the IQ of a fuji and you'll still get more DOF with a full frame @ f/2.

So many ways to skin a cat. Even buying a used XE2 with new firmware and a 27mm pancake lens would be below the cost of a new x100t. The beauty is they are still small form factor.

I know I cannot easily get bored of my X-T10 easily because i will just go out and buy another $1000 lens for more range in application. If and when an XT2 comes I can simply get a boost in resolution and perks of a fresh cmos sensor.

I must sound soooo anti X100 series LOL!!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2016 14:02 |  #27

asr10user wrote in post #17975711 (external link)
I am only 48 hours into Fuji ownership (X-E1) and I can say, I am glad I kept my Canon stuff. Like you, I was tired of my big DSLR and wanted an X100. I realized the X-E1 is cheaper, is same size, and is an easy intro into the X-series world. My turning point of being sick of the DSLR was lugging around the huge Sigma 35mm 1.4, that with my 6D was a huge burden and I stopped taking it out. I also had an Rx100 but was tired/bored of it. When I switched to light primes, the experience was much different.

So far, the Fuji is nice, when I got the camera, it had firmware 1.01, I updated it to the latest 2.6 and its night and day. Very appreciate that as Canon does not update FW the same way. I have to say, I cant imagine mirrorless replacing my Canon stuff yet, I cant quite put my finger on it, but its just not the same 'experience' as using a DSLR. I do need a few more weeks of use for a full breakdown.

YMMV, but I have to say the X-E1 wasn't a very pleasant experience for me either. When I owned it (briefly) there was no way I'd even consider using it as a primary camera over a DSLR. I think usability has greatly increased with the newer crop of Fuji bodies - X-Pro2, X-T1, X-T10, X-E2/S. The newer AF system really improved usability for me.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2016 14:05 |  #28

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17976128 (external link)
Hey all, thanks for the feedback and passionate words, still doing my research on the Fuji X100T, it still seems it would fit the style and shots I'm wanting to get (Family documentary stuff).
I found a photographer, Zack Arias, who seems to love his X100's, owns like 8 of them? And he too would take this camera first out of his burning house.

Here he discusses the Fuji lineup: http://dedpxl.com …ers-guide-part-1-cameras/ (external link)

Anyways, haven't started my ads yet for my two big zoom red lenses, but I need to.
Guess I'll try to sell them on here or some other websites that are known for gear and trustworthy. Not sure eBay is a great place?
If I can sell the 24-70 2.8 I and 70-200 2.8 I, all excellent conditions, I'm sure I could get enough to fund a X100T and get a good prime for the 5DMK2.

I guess if I were to take off the battery grip on the 5DMK2 and use one single prime lens, it may be a tolerable carry around too?

35mm f/2 IS, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 STM are all fairly compact and inexpensive lenses, each with pros/cons. I think a 5DII with a 40mm 2.8 would be more than a tolerable carry around though. But then again you'd have a focal length that is basically covered by the X100T. I'd almost consider keeping a smallish/light zoom lens on the 5D (maybe Canon 24-70 f/4 IS or Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or 24-105 IS) and pairing that with the X100T. That should be a very useful combination.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 18, 2016 21:22 |  #29

asr10user wrote in post #17975711 (external link)

The X-E1 is a pretty drastic difference from the X-E2/X-T10/X-T1 though... from an image quality standpoint it's just as good, but in terms of usability it's nowhere close. I had the X-E1 prior to my a7S and was poised to buy a second because I missed it so much, but instead opted to spend a little more and get an X-E2 and I'm really glad I did, it's a much more useable camera.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 18, 2016 21:57 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #30

+1. Don't judge Fuji by the X-E1, which is actually still a great camera if you're after the umm, methodical approach. Try out one of the current offerings (X-T10,X-T1,X-E2), which are much closer to the responsiveness you're used to.

Neil

sponsored links

6,004 views & 24 likes for this thread
Future Fuji X100T Owner
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.