Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2016 11:37 |  #1531

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17976114 (external link)
I just noticed on B&H's site:

Now this may or may not have anything to do with anything. If the 1DxII shipping date is really May 1 then the real outbound date is going to be May 2 with overnight orders being delivered on May 3 at the earliest. From past experience B&H is going to have a lot of crates to unpack and orders to process when they return from holiday and they may or may not get orders out on Monday AM...

Looking forward to seeing what's what.

Meanwhile my 1Dx is soon headed to Canon for a clean and check pending sale... :)

I noticed that too. B&H's last day of operations before closing for Passover is this Thursday, April 21st. They will be closed from Friday April 22nd through Saturday, April 30th. As Erik said, if the Canon 1D X Mark II actually arrives before then and if B&H can process everything on Sunday, then the first round of 1D X MII orders will be processed, packed, shipping labels/notifications created, and loaded onto empty UPS trailers on Sunday May 1st.

On Monday, May 2nd, UPS will pick up the loaded trailers from B&H sometime between 8:30-10:00 am and the packages will head to Maspeth, NY for UPS processing and distribution.

Now, again, this is contingent on (#1) B&H actually receiving the shipment from Canon prior to then and (#)2 B&H being able to process these specific orders after having been closed for 9 days. Luckily, I am only a 3 1/2 hour drive from NYC, so if I'm actually in the first batch to go out, I could receive the camera as early as Tuesday, May 3rd. What stinks is I have to go to Boston that morning and will not be home for the normal UPS delivery, so I will have to pick it up at the nearest UPS distribution center later that day, which is about a 2-hr round trip drive from my house, even though I can see the general location of the UPS Center with a pair of binoculars from my house. That's what I get for living on an island and having to circumnavigate a very large bay.

Well, we'll see what happens. One thing is for sure, for those of us that pre-ordered from one of the jewish religion-based stores in New York, if the Canon 1D X Mark II is not released for shipping before this upcoming Thursday, then we will definitely be waiting until sometime in May. Excited times for sure! Like Erik, I'm looking forward to seeing what unfolds next!

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2016 11:43 |  #1532

bps wrote in post #17976140 (external link)
[...] and loaded onto empty UPS trailers on Sunday May 1st.

On Monday, May 2nd, UPS will pick up the loaded trailers from B&H sometime between 8:30-10:00 am and the packages will head to Maspeth, NY for UPS processing and distribution.

That's far and away the scariest thing I've read this month.

UPS: "We wear brown for a reason."

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps.

Apr 18, 2016 13:02 |  #1533

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17976145 (external link)
That's far and away the scariest thing I've read this month.

UPS: "We wear brown for a reason."

It's just for efficiency's sake. Rather than B&H stacking things up in their warehouse and waiting for a UPS crew to load things onto a trailer, B&H can just load things on up. It also allows items to ship out faster.

If anything, I think this is cool because it might reduce the handling of the package by one, which theoretically reduces the chance for damage. Every little but adds up in the end.

Cheer,
Bryan

My Gear List

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2016 13:17 |  #1534

bps wrote in post #17976232 (external link)
If anything, I think this is cool because it might reduce the handling of the package by one, which theoretically reduces the chance for damage. Every little but adds up in the end.

Any bit of care taken is eliminated by putting the result in UPS' hands. They have broken more of my stuff then every other shipper combined.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

libertyranger
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 18, 2016 14:32 |  #1535

Got this email today...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2016 14:34 |  #1536

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17976242 (external link)
Any bit of care taken is eliminated by putting the result in UPS' hands. They have broken more of my stuff then every other shipper combined.

Oh, I see what you're talking about. Sorry, I was on the wrong page!

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2016 14:36 |  #1537

libertyranger wrote in post #17976307 (external link)
Got this email today...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by libertyranger in
./showthread.php?p=179​76307&i=i191948439
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Sweet! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

My best guess (or best hope) is that they want to have an event on Friday night, and May 6th is the first Friday night after the release. It ensures they have a floor model for people to play with and allows for any slight delays in receiving.

The first week of May is looking more and more likely!

Bryan

My Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2016 14:43 |  #1538

I just got off the phone with Norman Camera and they said they are hearing the first week of May, but an official date has not been solidified with Canon yet.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 18, 2016 17:22 |  #1539

Well I sure hope this is true. I have not heard anything yet

Sold my 5D3 and Canon is loaning me a current 1Dx for a wedding on 05-07....would love it if the 1Dx2 showed up before

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,180 posts
Gallery: 613 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2016 20:04 |  #1540

So this video isn't directly about the 1DX II but I do believe it could impact it. Dustin Abbot compared the highlight and shadow recovery of the new 80D to the 70D and M3 and the results are impressive. Considering this is a crop sensor, the 1DX II should blow us away

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=JmKHjun1vr4 (external link)

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 18, 2016 22:40 |  #1541

Update on Canon's facilities following the earthquake: everything appears to be fine.

Canon released a news statement today saying they were donating $94,000 USD to the Japanese Red Cross. There was no mention today of any damage to Canon's facility or delays in production.

Bryan

My Gear List

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 19, 2016 03:22 |  #1542

Dlee13 wrote in post #17976655 (external link)
So this video isn't directly about the 1DX II but I do believe it could impact it. Dustin Abbot compared the highlight and shadow recovery of the new 80D to the 70D and M3 and the results are impressive. Considering this is a crop sensor, the 1DX II should blow us away

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=JmKHjun1vr4 (external link)

So... that's good, and whilst I don't have a 70D, it matches what I've seen when comparing the 60D and 5D3 against the 80D. My only concern is that - to the best of my knowledge - it somewhat perpetuates a misunderstanding of what DR "is".

DR is the ratio between the largest and smallest signal you can record with a satisfactory level of quality (signal to noise ratio). What highlights do or do not clip is a function of your exposure settings - if a pixel has clipped, it's clipped: there's no hope of recovering information*.

Any apparent "highlight recovery" you see when you bring a raw shot into post is because the histogram on your camera (and highlight warning, if enabled) is based on the jpeg thumbnail - which will not only have less DR, it's also affected by your current picture style. My point being that comparing "highlight recovery" from one camera to another isn't really useful; you could make a camera with a very inaccurate histogram (that claimed a lot of clipping), and that would apparently make it really good at highlight recovery - but obviously that'd be a daft idea.

So, DR (in this scenario) really just refers to how deep you can go and still get good quality; i.e. if you consider pixels just under clipping (on your chosen exposure) to be at 100%, what's the lowest percentage brightness of pixels from which I can still get good data. If it were 50% then you have one stop of DR, 25% is two, 12.5% is three and so on. At some point, the signal drops sufficiently below the level of the noise in the system and thus useful data is drowned.

* I say there's no hope of recovering information, and that's true for any given pixel. I understand some raw converters are pretty smart, and can look at surrounding pixels and try to estimate the values that would exist in channels in your clipped pixel - but, from a point of view of the sensor, those pixels had clipped and do not contain useful data.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,779 posts
Gallery: 1845 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 19, 2016 04:35 as a reply to  @ sploo's post |  #1543

That is serious mumbo jumbo talk to soneone on my level of photography. Tell
me this. With my Sony A7Rii I shoot LOW ISO then pull it in post=ISO-LESS.
Nothing clipped eh.
I shot and the image is black-pulled in post to an amazing result. Here is an example, shot
taken and it was dark, Sun had set 30 min's prior. I pulled min. 3 stops in post-
https://www.flickr.com …/album-72157647823023723/ (external link)
If 1DXii can to this I'm golden.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 19, 2016 05:22 |  #1544

Pulling 3 stops isn't that difficult with the newer canon bodies. 4+ stops is where it gets more interesting.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 19, 2016 06:46 |  #1545

CanonRumors is at NAB and he tweeted last night that shipping begins on May 2 so it looks like everything is still on track, since May 1 is a Sunday.

Did anyone else preorder from Amazon? I ordered on April 3. My open order history shows the 1DX mkII with a release date of May 1 but the order confirmation email showed an arrival date of May 18. I wonder how they calculated that date.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

sponsored links

283,152 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.