Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Apr 2016 (Monday) 00:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's so good about macs besides retina display?

this thread is locked
jay25
183 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2016 00:37 |  #1

I'm trying to switch from pc to mac. However when I read the specs is not worth the cost. For example I can build my own pc for about $1200.00 with a core i7 processor and 16gb ram. I'm trying to comprehend why $3000.00? I tried over and over again. Is like buying a z06 corvette for $45000.00 and then trying to justify paying for a Acura $65,000.00. Mac displays are awesome I love them but man they are charging a grip and only using i5 Intel processors.

Mac guys help me understand what I'm not understanding? I never ever used a mac.

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,311 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 18, 2016 02:51 |  #2

They have a cool logo.

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 18, 2016 03:20 |  #3

The biggest advantage is how they process images and how little resources they take to do it. You're wasting you time comparing specs between PC and Macs as they perform totally different.

For example I have a early 2008 Mac, which is entry level specs of like 4gb RAM etc, yet it runs and processes the massive 50mb images my D800 makes with no troubles or annoying slowness even at 8 years old.

Contrast that with Windows based machines, which clog themselves up and start to run unbearably slow after usually 3-5 years.

I work with Windows machines 12 hours a day, coming home to the simplicity of the Mac is just so stress-free and a nice experience too.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2016 07:16 |  #4

I switched from PC to a macbook pro as my primary machine mainly because I needed access to Final Cut Pro. Honestly, probably the the best thing going for the Macbook pro is the build quality. PC laptops that feel as well put together are few and far between.

Apple hardware updates tend to be a little behind the curve, and right now just about everything is towards the end of it's life cycle. The Mac Pro is particularly behind the times if that's what you're looking at...this is why people run a hackintosh. Mac product lines should get a significant refresh this year and be a little more competitive.

This is a handy guide: http://buyersguide.mac​rumors.com/#Mac (external link)

If you consider yourself a PC power user and know how to keep your machine running fast and clean, I'm not sure I'd make the switch unless you have a particularly compelling reason to do so. For a desktop class machine, I'd build a Windows 10 PC without hesitation. For a laptop, it would be hard to give up my macbook pro, but it looks like there are finally some PC laptops hold their own vs. the MBP (Dell XPS 15 among them).

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Lumens
428 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lumens.

Apr 18, 2016 07:50 |  #5

I own two off the shelf Windows LapTops that were reduced to bricks with the upgrade to Win10. Not the fault of Win10, the fault of a manufacturer that build for marketing not computing. Caused me to go to Apple and I would not let go of my Macbook Pro - it is awesome. It performs at the standards I expected and was told I would get when I bought it.

If I were to go back to MS then I would build my own so I could assure the hardware is built to handle the OS and software I plan to run. Or I would pick up something like a Surface, built by MS and designed to run the Operating System. MS has tons of manufacturers out there building machines, not all build to a good quality standard. Be careful what you purchase and know what you are getting.

With Apple they manufacture their own hardware and do not allow third parties to make them look bad. To me I find Apple to be a safer purchase, however the Microsoft Manufacturers are putting out some really good stuff lately. As long as you stay out of Costco and Walmart (unless you really know what you want) and do your research there are some great Windows machines out there at better prices than what Apple charges.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,023 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 18, 2016 08:09 |  #6

To me it's the whole experience... build quality, industrial design, simple OS, beautiful GUI, sync compatibility with other devices, seamless integration with other i products, lack of virus's.

My previous life was as a graphic designer so I grew up with Apple and have never looked back. Dealing with PC type gear is just a frustrating experience, for me.

It's really hard to explain. It's something you have to experience. The extra cost is worth it, to me.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2016 08:33 |  #7

I recently purchased an i7 Surface Book and after a few weeks with it I've decided to sell my mid-2014 15" rMBP and move completely the Surface Book. The display is easily just as good as the MacBook, if not better. And so is the build quality. And I MUCH prefer the Surface Book's 3:2 aspect ratio over the MBP's 16:9. The Surface Book is a 13.5" display while the MBP is 15.4". So at first you'd think the MBP display would be much bigger but that's not really the case at all due to the aspect ratio. Sure there's a noticeable difference in display width, but the Surface Book display is only just barely shorter from top to bottom than the MBP.

Also for me personally I'm just more productive in Windows over OS X. I feel that task switching works better (HATE that OS X doesn't let me task switch to minimized apps), snapping apps side by side works a ton better, aero peek, jump lists, etc. I just have a lot of little quibbles with OS X that make me feel like it was designed with sexiness in mind instead of productivity.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

PCousins
762 posts
Gallery: 415 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 18, 2016 08:45 |  #8

With Regards to laptops I was having to buy a new one every year just after the warranty expired, I had toshiba, HP, Sony & Ace and they all broke on the hinges and or the power connector within the laptop, they tended to overheat and I felt as if they had a self destruct countdown at 13 months old. Continuous Windows based issues both with laptop and PC and always having mouse issues......I just had bad luck.

3 years ago I purchased a new Retina Macbook.....My pictures seemed to come alive. They are built to last. I don't need any security software, SO reliable and a pleasure to use. Yes Apple products are expensive but I will never go back to a Windows based PC/laptop ever again. I also use a 5yr old iMac which I purchased used, again an absolute pleasure to use. They take a bit of getting use to but you will not regret the purchase. Updates I have set to take place at midnight and have not had any issues at all. I run Photoshop CS6, Photomatix Pro, Canon DPP, Lightroom, & recently downloaded all the free NIK Collection all work perfectly.

I was hesitant at first going over to Apple which is why I tried several brands before I made the jump. It was only because of the initial cost......I have demonstrated my apple products to friends and family not intentionally getting them to change but was surprised they did and they too love their Apples.

Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,412 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 18, 2016 09:20 |  #9

Over the course of my work career, on multiple occasions I have worked for companies that had Apple products as well as those with Windows base computers. The outcome of my own prolonged experiences with both is that I find...

• neither truly has any particular advantage over the other as a general statement
  • Apple, while touting its stuff as 'intuitive', still requires some orientation and training to use effectively, or you still blunder about and waste just as much time searching for things buried in its design...it is largely marketing BS about more 'intuitive' design
  • Apple compatible stuff is more expensive to buy because there is less available from sources other than Apple itself.
  • Apple does indeed have an edge in general graphics-oriented handling...e.g. it better scales text to remain readable in spite of high pixel count monitors; 4K monitors are better handled by Apple O/S than by Windows

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jay25
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2016 09:27 |  #10

That's right I forgot about the software to buy to protect pc. As far as laptop goes I can't even argue the Mac is for sure the best. Mac Desktops a nice one is 2700.00. And for peace of mind it won't die.

I build my own pcs I won't be building anymore. I do plan to try to purchase a mac desktop with large monitor and try that out. I love the displays they are crisp. Thank you for your input. God bless

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,410 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 18, 2016 09:44 |  #11

98kellrs wrote in post #17975793 (external link)
The biggest advantage is how they process images and how little resources they take to do it. You're wasting you time comparing specs between PC and Macs as they perform totally different.

For example I have a early 2008 Mac, which is entry level specs of like 4gb RAM etc, yet it runs and processes the massive 50mb images my D800 makes with no troubles or annoying slowness even at 8 years old.

Contrast that with Windows based machines, which clog themselves up and start to run unbearably slow after usually 3-5 years.

I work with Windows machines 12 hours a day, coming home to the simplicity of the Mac is just so stress-free and a nice experience too.

this is pretty much exactly what i was going to say. My past experience with macs told me that i really didn't need to spring for the high end gear. Past experience working with windows told me that I did not want to invest the time in maintenance that they usually require.

I use a 2009 MacBook that was the cheapest they offered at the time, $999 USD. I have it set up with an external monitor and use the Mac's display for pallets or finder windows. Of course I have since maxed out the ram, and added a SSD, but I cloned the old drive and have never re-installed or done any maintenance to the original OS/Adobe CS/ETC install.

If you need a tower, you don't have many choices with the mac so that might be a different story. I will say that there are a few recent threads here from someone who built his own PC and has apparently spent days/weeks doing it. Although I am one who likes tinkering around with things, I don't even come close to having the patience to put together a PC. Whether it is being efficient with initial set up, or processing and maintenance inefficiencies over time, i just like a mac. Hell, only time my fan comes on is when I am streaming music and batch processing a bunch of 25MB RAW photos.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 18, 2016 09:57 |  #12

It's easy to run Windows on a Mac but not as easy to run OSX on a PC (yes I've built 3 hackintoshes, I know of what I speak). Both are good to be honest. Software is nearly identical. I do find OSX to be more stable and easier to hack because of code on which it's built (FreeBSD).

That being said certain software still lacks OSX support like the tax software that I mistakenly purchased! I just loaded up VMware and an installation of Win 7 and I'm in business but what a pain.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 18, 2016 10:43 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #17976015 (external link)
Over the course of my work career, on multiple occasions I have worked for companies that had Apple products as well as those with Windows base computers. The outcome of my own prolonged experiences with both is that I find...

• neither truly has any particular advantage over the other as a general statement
  • Apple, while touting its stuff as 'intuitive', still requires some orientation and training to use effectively, or you still blunder about and waste just as much time searching for things buried in its design...it is largely marketing BS about more 'intuitive' design
  • Apple compatible stuff is more expensive to buy because there is less available from sources other than Apple itself.
  • Apple does indeed have an edge in general graphics-oriented handling...e.g. it better scales text to remain readable in spite of high pixel count monitors; 4K monitors are better handled by Apple O/S than by Windows

I think this sums it up pretty well.

As for those who said that windows laptops break because they are cheap and flimsy have probably never have had a business grade Windows laptop in their hands. Most of the stuff I have seen on the shelves at places like Best Buy look like cheap toys compared to what I have seen and been working with at work. But even with that said, Apple does still take the cake in build quality over others like ASUS, HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2016 14:24 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Get the surface pro

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 18, 2016 14:27 |  #15

Macs last forever. In 12 to 18 months that pc you built will either be burned up or something major will have broken in it or it will be slow and outdated. Meanwhile, the Mac you bought will be running like a new one.

I'm sure what I said will fire up the pc fanboys, but just buy a Mac and try one because once you've used a Mac, you'll never go back.

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links

20,238 views & 86 likes for this thread
What's so good about macs besides retina display?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.