Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Apr 2016 (Thursday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking cameras and equipment on a flight?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,913 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 08, 2016 21:58 |  #16

so you have two canon bodies, and one nikon? is that the reason for so many lenses because you have two different systems going?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
push ­ process
70 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by push process.

Apr 10, 2016 07:52 |  #17

I travel quite a bit, but my business is not photography. I rarely if ever see anyone taking any pictures inside the cabin these dsys, just the occasional snap out the window. A relative was recently prohibited from taking a picture of a traveling group in the cabin on a European carrier. I think it's likely to be a problem regardless of whether th re is an actual policy or rule in place. Cabin crews have become rather capricious about passenger behavior and from one crew to the next the situation could be quite different. Ask the chief purser and be prepared to comply with a no - to avoid an incident.

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 10, 2016 08:55 |  #18

Still to contact the airline which I'll be doing soon, but I think I'll remove the battery grips from both my Canon bodies and just take the spare batteries instead. That way I can use a smaller camera bag as carry on and just put the chargers etc in my luggage. I probably have enough batts for the whole trip but will take the chargers just in case. And I'll leave the Nikon at home as it was just a spare but I aim to travel light so 2 bodies will suffice.

The bands are looking for me to document the trip with both stills and video so I was hoping to get some footage of them on the plane, but that's not a biggie if it can't be done, I'll be able to get plenty of stuff as we travel between cities in Italy.

Thanks again for the replies folks :-)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,071 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 19, 2016 14:31 |  #19

Not sure if you have taken the trip yet, but two things to make sure of first.

1) Make sure your gear is well insured using an appropriate insurance policy so in case of a loss, you aren't getting half the value of the equipment.

2) Carry on luggage internationally is of a different size than in the US. You will NEED to make sureyou know what the restrictions are for every flight you may be taking. When you leave the US, your bag may go through security or checks here, but once there they may flag you for having too large a bag. then guess what, it becomes checked luggage at a significant expense.

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 19, 2016 14:41 |  #20

Flight is booked for 28th April from the UK to Italy via Ryanair ( who are a bit of a budget airline and tend to charge for all "extras" ). I'm checking their carry on policy just now.

Really cutting down what I'll be taking so that I can travel light. So I reckon 2 bodies minus grips plus 4 smallish lenses, mem cards etc will be in my normal gig bag and I have a lightish tripod which will go in with my actual luggage. I'll need to weigh my bag a few days before I travel to see if it fits the airline's policy or if I'll need to pay extra etc.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,397 posts
Gallery: 292 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 19, 2016 14:42 |  #21

mikeinctown wrote in post #17977471 (external link)
Not sure if you have taken the trip yet, but two things to make sure of first.

1) Make sure your gear is well insured using an appropriate insurance policy so in case of a loss, you aren't getting half the value of the equipment.

Insurance on average is a losing proposition. Don't buy insurance unless you can't reasonably cover a loss, you know you are higher risk than average, or you have issues with unhealthy levels of stress.

https://www.nerdwallet​.com …rof/buy-camera-insurance/ (external link)

2) Carry on luggage internationally is of a different size than in the US. You will NEED to make sureyou know what the restrictions are for every flight you may be taking. When you leave the US, your bag may go through security or checks here, but once there they may flag you for having too large a bag. then guess what, it becomes checked luggage at a significant expense.

It's wise to check, but usually carriers will honor the rules of the first carrier.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,217 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 19, 2016 14:52 |  #22

if you want to cut down on your carry on items, you can look into a bulky travel/photography vest. I do typically travel with two cameras, but much smaller mirrorless. Stuff your gear in the vest if needed. I was shooting inside the terminals so kept some gear on my body and it doesnt count towards your carry on. Something like the humvee photo vest or milton's vest, you will be able to fit two bodies/lenses. Check in all your cloths.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,071 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 20, 2016 08:54 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #17977483 (external link)
Insurance on average is a losing proposition. Don't buy insurance unless you can't reasonably cover a loss, you know you are higher risk than average, or you have issues with unhealthy levels of stress.

https://www.nerdwallet​.com …rof/buy-camera-insurance/ (external link)

It's wise to check, but usually carriers will honor the rules of the first carrier.

He is talking about travelling with two bodies and 4 lenses on an airline into a European country where he can easily be singled out as not local. it would be stupid to not CYA. In fact it is stupid to not CYA at any time. Do you know of anyone or any business who doesn't have insurance of some sort?

Also, if he is making plane changes or tansfers on the way there, that may fly, but do you really think he will win an argument when he is 6,000 miles from home on foreign soil checking in with a carrier who doesn't care that he didn't read their policy?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,397 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 20, 2016 09:42 |  #24

mikeinctown wrote in post #17978258 (external link)
He is talking about travelling with two bodies and 4 lenses on an airline into a European country where he can easily be singled out as not local. it would be stupid to not CYA. In fact it is stupid to not CYA at any time. Do you know of anyone or any business who doesn't have insurance of some sort?

Also, if he is making plane changes or tansfers on the way there, that may fly, but do you really think he will win an argument when he is 6,000 miles from home on foreign soil checking in with a carrier who doesn't care that he didn't read their policy?

This discussion is not about having insurance "of some sort", nor is it about ignoring the policies of airlines.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,071 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 20, 2016 12:21 |  #25

Archibald wrote in post #17978319 (external link)
This discussion is not about having insurance "of some sort", nor is it about ignoring the policies of airlines.

I specifically addressed YOUR comments which were "Insurance on average is a losing proposition. Don't buy insurance unless you can't reasonably cover a loss, you know you are higher risk than average, or you have issues with unhealthy levels of stress." And also "usually carriers will honor the rules of the first carrier." To which I specifically replied.

And I will say it again. The carrier in Europe (on the return flights) is under no obligation to honor any rules of the airline through which he flew from the US with, except that he has a ticket for a given flight. The consumer needs to know the rules of the airlines they are flying with.

Charlie
15,217 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2016 12:33 |  #26

sheesh, I dont even consider these rules, if I cant fit all my gear into my carry on, it's not coming along. No way am I checking that stuff in.

fwiw, my brother went from USA to AUS and carried all his camera gear as a carry on. 5D3, 200/2, 24-105, 85L, 11-24, 580ex..... MASSIVE GEAR!!! I'de only worry about insurance if you have to check in your gear, otherwise, camera gear is generally a waste of money to insure, it's too inexpensive to cover. Same reason I dont have dental or vision insurance.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,913 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 20, 2016 12:53 |  #27

He's flying from uk to Italy...not the us

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Charlie
15,217 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2016 13:22 |  #28

DreDaze wrote in post #17978554 (external link)
He's flying from uk to Italy...not the us

is it really all that different for international flights? honest question.

I've been with camera gear to SE asia, notorious for theft, and never an issue as long as I am bringing my gear as a carry on (which TS has indicated). International carry on luggage is generally smaller than domestic flights, but it's not drastic. All my luggage is international standard anyhow.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,397 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 20, 2016 13:42 |  #29

Charlie wrote in post #17978590 (external link)
is it really all that different for international flights? honest question.

I've been with camera gear to SE asia, notorious for theft, and never an issue as long as I am bringing my gear as a carry on (which TS has indicated). International carry on luggage is generally smaller than domestic flights, but it's not drastic. All my luggage is international standard anyhow.

There is no international standard.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Charlie
15,217 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2016 13:56 |  #30

Archibald wrote in post #17978621 (external link)
There is no international standard.

AFAIK, 20" and no bigger covers international rules (all countries). I know standards change from country to country, but if you keep it 20" and smaller, nobody will complain. Not necessarily a standard, but a guideline.

sponsored links

5,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking cameras and equipment on a flight?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.