Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it natural to think that my photographs aren't good enough?

andrewliu
25 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 20, 2016 00:55 |  #1

While my friends think they're great? Maybe because I've always looked at other photos (especially the super amazing ones!) in a different perspective than other people, and hopefully it'll make me want to strive for more? Or maybe because I just started getting back into photography after picking up my 5dmk2 from the closet after 6 years (since I got the smartphone, everything just seems a lot easier).

Anyone else think like this?

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 20, 2016 01:25 |  #2

andrewliu wrote in post #17978048 (external link)
While my friends think they're great? Maybe because I've always looked at other photos (especially the super amazing ones!) in a different perspective than other people, and hopefully it'll make me want to strive for more? Or maybe because I just started getting back into photography after picking up my 5dmk2 from the closet after 6 years (since I got the smartphone, everything just seems a lot easier).

Anyone else think like this?

It's perfectly normal; you'll get over it :) [mostly]

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jclaveria1
34 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 20, 2016 02:18 |  #3

Criticizing your photos objectively will allow you to develop your skills.

Cursing it is just a personality issue lol!

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 20, 2016 02:49 |  #4

I think most of us here are always striving to take better photos. Anyone who thinks there is no room for improvement with their photography is most likely over-confident. As with most areas of endeavour, the more we learn the more we realise how little we know. Even with the fraction of my own photos that I'm very happy with, I can see room for improvement in almost every one and often wish I'd used a faster shutter speed or different flash setting etc.

Always aiming to improve and take better pictures is one of the things that keeps photography fun and interesting. Most of us will never completely master every aspect, indeed I wonder if anyone ever has?

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 20, 2016 07:08 |  #5

If you stop looking at your photos and seeing a way they could have been improved, then it is a sign that you've stopped pushing yourself to learn and experiment. And to me that just sounds boring.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Lumens
445 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 20, 2016 07:54 |  #6

We are all our own most critical judge. This is bad because many of those shots do deserve a pat on the back, this is good because it keeps us striving for improvement.

NOTE: Improvement comes from learning and practice, not from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

timd35
224 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 20, 2016 08:51 |  #7

That is normal for me as well. I see all the things that could have made the picture better (in my eyes). Think of it in a different way. As a photographer you look at your images differently than friends just viewing your work for the pleasure of the scene or image. I will be working on an image I have taken and my wife will think it looks awesome but I am still tweaking it. Sometimes I have to tell myself to just enjoy the picture and quit obsessing :-)

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 20, 2016 09:41 |  #8

I think being critical of your own work is key to getting better. I can always find things I don't like in my shots. If anything, its an excuse to try it again and do better. I think its a healthy response.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 20, 2016 09:48 |  #9

andrewliu wrote in post #17978048 (external link)
While my friends think they're great?

As a rule, your friends and family will always tell you your work is great.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 20, 2016 09:58 |  #10

To answer OP question, 'Yes'!

My wife loves my photos, but she also loves photos taken by others which have the sin of putting the subject's face bulls-eyed in the frame!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 20, 2016 10:01 |  #11

They will never be good enough! Get used to it and keep trying to impress yourself.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 20, 2016 10:08 |  #12

I agree with what the previous posters said. As an amateur photographer, I'm always looking to improve my skills. Therefore my eyes seem to pick out the defects in my photographs and I think about how I would improve them the next time.

You have to remember that many people nowadays take photos on their cellphones and look at them there. The defects that may jump out at you on a 22" hi-res monitor are hidden in those tiny phone screens or tablets.

The number of times that people have oohed and aahed my photos that I thought were just acceptable to me. But I'm enough of a snob to believe that puts me in the ranks of "Photographer" with a capital P instead of a snapshooter :-)

So, welcome to the club! ;-)a

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose.

Apr 20, 2016 10:24 |  #13

I'll shoot the same subjects over and over (at different times), always hoping for a better shot. Doesn't matter whether it's a local State Park, or the hummingbirds or bugs in my backyard, or even the friggin moon. When I finally get one that I think will be hard to improve upon, I might print an 8X10 or 11X14 and hang it, but I'll still keep trying for a better one. :oops:

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,264 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2016 10:24 |  #14

I have this problem with nearly everything I do whether it's a photo or some home improvement project. I know where each and every flaw is and my eye will go right to it without fail. It drives me nuts. Of course, no one else can see them, but I do. :):):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Obey
327 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 20, 2016 10:43 |  #15

Only listen to yourself.

Friends will generally always tell you that your pictures are great and the people of POTN are also too kind and don't give honest constructive criticism (most of the time)

Canon 6D & 80D | 135 f2 L | 24-105 f4 L | 70-200 f4 L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8
Canon EOS 3 + Mamiya RZ67 film
BradBphoto (external link)| Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

6,289 views & 9 likes for this thread
Is it natural to think that my photographs aren't good enough?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.