Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it natural to think that my photographs aren't good enough?

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 20, 2016 10:43 |  #16

I'll go out for a days shooting, review the images on the back of the camera and think, "Yeah I've got some cracking shots." When I get home I'll download them onto the computer and when I look at them think, "there're crap." A couple of months later I'll look at them again and think, "Yeah they are definitely crap."

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,363 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2016 10:46 |  #17

LV Moose wrote in post #17978359 (external link)
I'll shoot the same subjects over and over (at different times), always hoping for a better shot. Doesn't matter whether it's a local State Park, or the hummingbirds or bugs in my backyard, or even the friggin moon. When I finally get one that I think will be hard to improve upon, I might print an 8X10 or 11X14 and hang it, but I'll still keep trying for a better one. :oops:

gjl711 wrote in post #17978361 (external link)
I have this problem with nearly everything I do whether it's a photo or some home improvement project. I know where each and every flaw is and my eye will go right to it without fail. It drives me nuts. Of course, no one else can see them, but I do. :):):)

john crossley wrote in post #17978387 (external link)
I'll go out for a days shooting, review the images on the back of the camera and think, "Yeah I've got some cracking shots." When I get home I'll download them onto the computer and when I look at them think, "there're crap." A couple of months later I'll look at them again and think, "Yeah they are definitely crap."

it proves the theory, that the more we go to school, the more we know what we do not know. So in the practice of photography, for each improvement that we can see, we see there is more room for further improvement.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,339 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 20, 2016 10:47 |  #18

john crossley wrote in post #17978387 (external link)
A couple of months later I'll look at them again and think, "Yeah they are definitely crap."

Yep. Always good to go back months later, with fresh eyes, and do another round of culling. Frees up memory, and makes it easier when you're looking for a shot of a particular subject, instead of slogging through dozens (or hundreds) of sub-par images.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,412 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 20, 2016 10:51 |  #19

It is healthy to think like this.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,363 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 20, 2016 10:54 |  #20

kf095 wrote in post #17978401 (external link)

it is 'healthy' to be anal compulsive?!  :p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,339 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 20, 2016 10:55 |  #21

kf095 wrote in post #17978401 (external link)

But not about wives.
"Hmmm... I could do better," will get you into trouble every time.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

andrewliu
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 20, 2016 11:01 |  #22

Thanks guys and gals! I guess the thing that I need to work on is, how could I have made this photo better (after looking at it), instead of just thinking its crap and then move on with life...

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,166 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2016 11:27 |  #23

In short ... yes. Although that assumes I too am normal.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Mathmans
271 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 21, 2016 05:46 as a reply to  @ Owain Shaw's post |  #24

Lots of good advices here.
Photography is just one of the things in life and you just can't be perfect all the time.
Does every single photo I make has to be 100% perfect?
Occasionally I'm just doing snapshots trying not to care about blown highlights or raising shadows in post or perfect framing.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 21, 2016 17:18 |  #25

andrewliu wrote in post #17978416 (external link)
Thanks guys and gals! I guess the thing that I need to work on is, how could I have made this photo better (after looking at it), instead of just thinking its crap and then move on with life...

If I am doing product photography on my own products Its all about work .
Everything has to be lent and dust free with no finger print wiped down polished.

If my picture don't turn out normally its because I was lazy..........

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,825 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Phoenixkh.

Apr 21, 2016 18:54 |  #26

Every once in a while, I take a photograph that I don't think could be improved..... but it's so rare, it surprises me. I think being critical of my work keeps me learning, as others have noted. Not so critical that is paralyzes me, however.

I do enjoy looking back at my photographs..... a year at a time. If I see progress, I'm cautiously optimistic. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,081 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 22, 2016 13:38 |  #27

andrewliu wrote in post #17978416 (external link)

This is the correct way to look at it. Remember, you can be as self absorbed and think your stuff is as brilliant is it gets, but if nobody wants what you produce, then it is worthless.

Last Sunday I shot my girlfriends daughter at a cheer competition. Took 100 photos, with about 10 being practice shots and the rest with her daughter performing with the team. I did PP on a dozen of them total. I learned a very valueable lesson, and that is to make sure I am in the middle instead of slightly off to the side. Because of where I was, many shots had random arms in them, the subject was looking away from the camera, etc. All could be mostly fixed by having taken 4-5 steps to the left.

Having thought of my Sunday as a failure considering I spent $70 and 4 hours in the car, I handed my GF a stack of 8 1/2x11 photos that I printed. (6 of the dozen shots I did PP on.) She had tears in her eyes when she saw them. She could not believe how "amazing they looked" or "how happy and excited her daughter looked". in fact she even told me later that because of my photos she had to apologize to her daughter for being a sh**ty mom. Apparently the view she had made it look like her daughter wasn't having a good time on stage and questioned her if she wanted to continue. Once she saw my photos and the huge smile on her daughters face, she was overcome with emotion and happiness. I expected one or maybe two to get framed, but apparently every one of them is going up on the wall.

Anyway the point is that you are your own worst critic and someone else may just think you are the greatest ever, so don't be too hard on yourself.

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 22, 2016 16:36 |  #28

I agree with all of the above post that you are not alone. The more I look at one of my photo's the more that I find myself saying what if I would have done this or that when I was taking the photo.

Steve

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2016 21:00 |  #29

If you either find satisfaction in what you are doing or are making life better for someone else, things are going very well indeed. Otherwise it's a choice between giving up and getting better.

Every picture I've sold or otherwise released for public viewing is plenty good enough.

Every picture I've ever take falls short of my standards of photographic perfection.

Since I'm a golfer, falling short of perfection is routine but I did come in second in a recent tourney. Hurrah! I also enjoyed a triple bogie this morning. Life goes on.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2016 21:39 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

You always try to do better than your last shoot, period. That's how it works. For others....they don't improve and consistently shooting the same way and hoping their photography would get better. LOL.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

5,962 views & 9 likes for this thread
Is it natural to think that my photographs aren't good enough?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.