Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 19 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs 5Dc

BrodyBPhoto
71 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Apr 19, 2016 20:19 |  #1

Anyone got opinions on these 2? I know its probably been brought up a lot. I have the 7D now, but I've never owned a full frame camera. Im on a budget and was thinking of picking up a 5D.

Canon 5D ; Canon 17-40L ; Canon 50mm 1.8 ; Canon 24-70L Mk1

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,842 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 19, 2016 20:44 |  #2

The 5D is cheap enough to try out a FF without losing any real amount of money, and it will let you know whether FF is a long term thing or not for what you shoot.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 19, 2016 23:04 |  #3

I think the only difference you'll see is the FOV, 1.6x vs. 1.0x. The 5Dc is old enough that it isn't much better wrt noise than the 7D, at native values (100-1600 for the 5Dc). At 3200, the 7D will be better. And the 7D can go higher, cleanly. I had a 5Dc and 60D (same sensor as 7D) at the same time. I did not see much difference in the two.

At some point, I sold the 5Dc and picked up a 6D. HUGE difference! The 6D has an almost 2-stop high ISO advantage over similar generation crop bodies. I can shoot the 6D at 12800 in JPG, and get clean results. 25600 is usable, if I do everything right before I release the shutter. The 6D outshines every aspect of the 5Dc's auto-focus, too. AF on the 6D is uncannily good. On the 5Dc, it is frustratingly bearable, with the center point. The others may as well not be there.

Then again, the 5Dc has the best shutter sound ever produced.

Tyguy
504 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 19, 2016 23:43 |  #4

I have a 5D and just recently picked up a 7D. The 5D has no bells or whistles, it's only advantages are the image quality and field of view. Noise levels are comparable, but the 5D has better noise. Oh, and it goes down to ISO 50. AF is good enough for most applications, just a hair better than my 40D. You will likely use the centre AF point most of the time and recompose if necessary.

The 7D is much faster and sounds cleaner (every 5D I've handled makes a terrible shutter noise). The advanced features are nice, I bought it for the AF and am just a bit dissapointed. I typically bring the 7D to events and use the 5D for landscapes and portraits. Would probably sell the 7D before the 5D.

I would recommend trying FF with a 5D before going all-out on a 6D/5D2/3. You may be happy with it and your 7D together.

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

waylandcool
485 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 19, 2016 23:47 |  #5

I bought a 5D to complement 7D and I've used it alot. Its gotten a lot of car show use as well as some of the outdoor events I shoot where I can hang my 17-40 or my 24-105 on it and leave the 70-200 on the 7D. It does have noise issues indoors at high ISO so I generally use a flash inside. The 5D also teaches you to work off the top LCD panel as you have a hard time correcting setting using the back LCD (a habit my Rebel got me into).

If you get one, make sure its had the mirror fix, mine didn't and I'm in the process of fixing it.

If you can get one cheap enough, go for it. Once you upgrade past it, you can flip it for the same price you bought it for or use it as a project camera (mine is getting converted to DIR once I get a better FF camera).

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,002 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2016 00:04 |  #6

if you shoot sports or birds day in day out, stick with your 7D, anything else and the 5Dc produces better quality images. Of course if you go 6D and newer it gets dramatically better.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

BrodyBPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Apr 21, 2016 14:51 |  #7

Thanks everybody. I'm shooting mostly portraits and landscapes which is why the 5D is interesting me. I hadn't heard the AF is so bad though. The center point is really the only usable AF point? Thats a little disappointing.

BrodyBPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Apr 21, 2016 14:53 |  #8

It sounds like a 6D would be the best option. So maybe I'll see how I like the FF on a 5D, flip both of my bodies and just use the 6D. I don't need two bodies really anyway. I'd like to try out the 5D for awhile though.

bseitz234
497 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by bseitz234. (2 edits in all)

Apr 21, 2016 14:58 as a reply to  @ BrodyBPhoto's post |  #9

I have both- just picked up the 5d recently so haven't really put it through paces yet. I would say that on one shot mode, with stationary subjects, I've done OK with the outer points. They're not as good as the 7d's outer points, and they can't track a moving subject to save their little lives, but they're not totally useless for the subjects you mention.

Edit: I'm doing pretty much the same thing you are. Picked mine up locally on CL for $270, and using it to play with FF and decide whether I want to stick with APS-C for the long haul (probably 7d3) or start preparing for the 6d2...

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

Tyguy
504 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 21, 2016 15:21 |  #10

bseitz234 wrote in post #17979940 (external link)
I have both- just picked up the 5d recently so haven't really put it through paces yet. I would say that on one shot mode, with stationary subjects, I've done OK with the outer points. They're not as good as the 7d's outer points, and they can't track a moving subject to save their little lives, but they're not totally useless for the subjects you mention.

Exactly. The centre point is double cross-type, and is actually surrounded by six 'assistive' points. It is very usable (even when tracking moving objects). The side points suffice in good lighting and stationary subjects.

Buy one and flip it if you feel you want the 6D. For the price, you can't really go wrong.

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

BrodyBPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Apr 21, 2016 19:47 |  #11

Yeah I just picked one up on ebay. $390 with a few batteries, extra cards and a lowepro bag. It seems pretty mint, we'll see once I get in my hands lol. Thanks guys

sponsored links

2,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D vs 5Dc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.