Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 22 Apr 2016 (Friday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Point and shoot with some controls for students?

kat.hayes
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 22, 2016 12:18 |  #1

Can someone recommend a point and shoot with good quality and some level of control of features that can be used by college students for projects. I'm looking in the $300-400 price range per camera.

Thanks.

sponsored links
werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by werds. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2016 12:49 |  #2

Not a point and shoot but... http://www.buydig.com …liate&utm_conte​nt=4485850 (external link)

And yes I know it is not canon but price range and features match :P

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 22, 2016 12:55 |  #3

Also this is from Canon refurbished, again not point and shoot but meets features and price... http://shop.usa.canon.​com …urbished?WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 22, 2016 19:27 |  #4

Canon G16. B&H has it for $380. You can go full manual with this, as well as full auto. This includes manual focus. I just took it on a trip to Nashville last weekend with it, and it was great. Low light performance is very good for what it is. While the G16 can go to ISO6400, ISO3200 is better. I've used it for daylight, indoors w/o flash. flash shots, fireworks, concert performance at the Grand Ole Opry, skyline photos. It can also do video. You can set it up to do video on the fly. Take a photo, then take a video if something catches you.

The G16 replaced a G9, as I needed something with lower light performance. This was two years ago. There are lots of point-n-shoot/compact cameras in the G/GX lineup, but I really think the G16 is the bargain. If something happened to my G16, I'd order one again right away.

Hope this helps!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 23, 2016 10:28 |  #5

Any camera which has the ability to manually set all of these controls would be good:

• shutter speed
  • f/stop
  • ISO

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by HoosierJoe.

May 01, 2016 22:18 |  #6

Not a Canon but A new Lumix FZ200 goes for under $300. Easy to use and you can set all of the parameters you want or none.
A used Canon bridge camera SX40 or SX30 maybe. But I am not impressed with Canon's menu and options, I find them a bit hard to navigate.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links

2,546 views & 0 likes for this thread
Point and shoot with some controls for students?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.