Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint XPLOR 600 TTL VS. Godox AD600

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 20, 2016 13:11 |  #1

Hello, so I too am looking at both of these models, for a different alternate to my Rovelight I currently have. I have had it for about 5 months and yes, it works great in HSS mode. My thought is more along the lines of the separate corded attached the 600 comes with. (does the XPLOR also have the separate handlend?

I've always liked the idea of a Prophoto B2 but couldn't afford it it of course. I like the handheld option for the 600 in case i had an assistant. If not, then its not as useful, but I also like the idea of TTL (from time to time) Im debating upgrading my RL am not sure how much i need TTL but know I have some occasions where it would come in handy.

Thank you for any opinion you can give :)

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by abbadon31.

Apr 20, 2016 13:27 |  #2

Flashpoint has more power
Godox has more features

Sorry my bad mis read I thought he was asking about the old Flashpoint 600

Nothing different

I AM SHOM

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 20, 2016 13:43 |  #3

First the Flashpoint Xplor, Godox AD600 and the Cheetah Stand CL-600X are all the same base flash so any modifier for one can be used on the other as long as you use the appropriate mount (Bowens or Godox). The AD600 comes in 4 variations: TTL Bowens, TTL Godox, Manual only Bowens and Manual only Godox. The differences in being the mount and whether the flash is TTL or Manual. Adorama will carry both the Manual and TTL versions in the Bowens mount while Cheetah Stand will only be carrying the Manual version with the Bowens mount for now. The H600 extended single head is an option available for all AD600 variations and both Adorama and Cheetah Stand will be carrying the Bowens version of this accessory.

You will lose about one stop of flash exposure switching from the RL600B to the AD600 in both X sync and HSS when comparing the same light modifier. This may not be a big deal for some as this difference can be made up in post work or by switching to a more efficient modifier obviously with a change in light quality as well. This is something most can live with especially if you are looking at the TTL version of the AD600. The fact that the AD600 has a True HSS capability as compared to the Faux HSS of the RL600B is also an issue for some as the flash exposure gradient seen in the HSS images of the RL600B will not be present in the flash exposure of the AD600.

Rand

Gear

owenegan
298 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 20, 2016 13:46 |  #4

They are the same flash.

If you're in the U.S. and you want the AD600 (and not the manual AD600M) your only "official" source may be Adorama - i.e. Flashpoint XPLOR 600 TTL)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by abbadon31. (2 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2016 13:58 |  #5

Sorry my bad mis read I thought he was asking about the old Flashpoint 600 /Jinbei

I AM SHOM

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 23, 2016 11:05 as a reply to  @ abbadon31's post |  #6

So, is it at all even close or fair in my head to think if the Xplor 600 TTL as a "budget" replacement for the Prophoto b2 (assuming I purchased the hand held unit as well. Knowing its not a B2, would it be a nice "step up" from my Rovelight IF I would like to have the option to have TTL (to each his own, I know :)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 23, 2016 14:23 |  #7

digitalduck wrote in post #17982011 (external link)
So, is it at all even close or fair in my head to think if the Xplor 600 TTL as a "budget" replacement for the Prophoto b2 (assuming I purchased the hand held unit as well. Knowing its not a B2, would it be a nice "step up" from my Rovelight IF I would like to have the option to have TTL (to each his own, I know :)

I would say yes. I think the B2 is only about 400Ws so maybe the 600TTL is even a bit more powerful.

I just posted a link HERE (external link) that I published with my initial evaluation of the AD600TTL along with the TT685s. I use a Sony A7RII. That means the Godox X system is about the only option currently available to me. I have the remote on order but not available yet.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Ulysses01.

Apr 23, 2016 22:10 |  #8

digitalduck wrote in post #17982011 (external link)
So, is it at all even close or fair in my head to think if the Xplor 600 TTL as a "budget" replacement for the Prophoto b2

Yes. But at the same time, I'd say the Xplor 600 TTL is more a great VALUE than a purchase merely for budgetary reasons. Its value is not only in the quality that comes out of the strobe, but in the fact that it's part of such a deep system from Godox (and distributed by CheetahStand, Adorama, and others). This makes for a lot more flexibility and coverage, perhaps far more so than the Profoto system — as nice as the latter is. These Godox / Cheetah / Adorama lights may not be in the high price bracket, but they do help you produce high quality results.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by digitalduck.

Apr 24, 2016 15:44 as a reply to  @ Ulysses01's post |  #9

Thanks Ulysses, well said :) and very reassuring. I had a couple questions for anyone regrading the Xplor

Also, when it comes to TTL, this is more of a technique understanding question, but if I am using TTL, even if its just to get me in the ballpark, if i want a more light and airy look for a certain photo, I would normally shoot wide open and raise my ISO 600 for example. If Im in TTL, would it recognize that as a change it needs to adjust for and reduce the flash output or would it allow for that change and give me the results I would be looking for? Or, do I need to do some sort or Exp Compensation?

Does anyone have a general idea of how long the cable would be which comes with the Xplor handheld?

So I could use the Xplor in the bag in the ground and just have cable running up to the light stand bulb (ala prophoto B2) or to the assistant who could beholding the unit and the flash mount.

I really like the idea of not having the flash housing as separate from the bulb thus making it less top heavy which would be great.

The only Bowens modifier i have is a 47" octabox. Ill have to pick up something smaller, suggestions?

Thank you!!!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2016 18:47 |  #10

I added a second installment (external link) to my evaluation of the 600TTL. I am looking forward to using it with the remote.

I think it will be a perfect light for zooming around locations. I did a portrait shoot last weekend with an AD360. 7 locations in 2 hours. Kept the light on the stand and just collapsed it to put it into the back of the car.

The AD600 with remote would be just about the same. TTL, for these situations is my preferred approach.

As to your question about blowing things out. The TTL exposure is always independent of the ambient exposure. So, its setting two exposures for the shot. Ambient and TTL. If the TTL is right and you want the background to blow out it may affect the subject. Or, if the subject is backlit probably not too much.

The second installment I linked to above should give you an idea.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ulysses01
403 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 24, 2016 20:43 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #11

David, what's your sense of having those 6 lbs up on a tripod some 7 or 8 feet (or more) above the ground?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by dmward.

Apr 25, 2016 07:42 |  #12

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17983777 (external link)
David, what's your sense of having those 6 lbs up on a tripod some 7 or 8 feet (or more) above the ground?

As long as its a BIG light stand it works. The Calumet 13 Footer I used will hold the light and reasonably sized modifier as long as there is not serious wind. With Sandbags of course.

I ordered remote heads for the lights, they are back ordered. That is certainly the preferred approach, especially outdoors. The AD600 is about 1.3 lbs heavier than the Einstein 640. I used those on 10 foot light stands with medium PLMs. Even outside without much wind. Although I preferred using the larger light stand.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2016 11:34 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #13

Man, I am so tempted to get the Xplor and remote deal they have going right now… then ill pick up the 600w extension and a smaller softbox or something, my 47” octo would be too cumbersome for someone to hold.. Ugg, figured I could try and sell my Rovelight for $350 w/shiping who knows….

Ulysses01
403 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 25, 2016 12:41 |  #14

dmward wrote in post #17984163 (external link)
As long as its a BIG light stand it works. The Calumet 13 Footer I used will hold the light and reasonably sized modifier as long as there is not serious wind. With Sandbags of course.

I ordered remote heads for the lights, they are back ordered. That is certainly the preferred approach, especially outdoors. The AD600 is about 1.3 lbs heavier than the Einstein 640. I used those on 10 foot light stands with medium PLMs. Even outside without much wind. Although I preferred using the larger light stand.

I'm currently using the CheetahStand C12 stands as my typical standard because their wider base makes them tougher for guests to knock over if they happen to bump into them. Occasionally for certain wedding or event locations, I'll place a flash on top of a C8 — definitely not the stand on which I'd mount the CL-600X.

I actually don't anticipate using the CL-600X for weddings other than maybe for group formals. So maybe in that context the C12 stands are all I currently need?

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 25, 2016 15:19 |  #15

I am debating which way to go the Xplor 600 TTL for it's power and bells and whistles or the 360II for it's size and weight.

I sold my Rovelight in anticipation this morning.

Now to sell a few other things to pay for this :)

sponsored links

23,297 views & 6 likes for this thread
Flashpoint XPLOR 600 TTL VS. Godox AD600
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.