Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Apr 2016 (Saturday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 80D and Lens Compatibility

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 09, 2016 10:40 |  #1

Let's list camera compatibility successes and failures for the 80D, as some lenses are limited in support. First, there are 8 different levels of focus ability depending on the lens, from Canon's manual:

Group "A" uses all 45 focus points, and the center point is a double cross type.
Group "B" is the same as A, sans the double cross point
Group "C" has 45 points, but the outer 10 points are not cross type, if I interpret their terms correctly
Group "D" has 45 points, but the outer 30 are not cross type, e.g. only the center section points are cross-type
Group "E" has 35 points by losing the outer 10 points entirely
Group "F" has 35 points available, fewer cross type
Group "G" has 27 points Group "H" has one point only.

Here's a partial list of lenses and their group (please double-check the manual before purchase):

Group A: EF-S 17-55mm; primes 2.8 or faster; EF24-70mm (both types)
Group B: EF24-105 f/4; EF70-300
Group C: EF75-300, 100-300
Group D: 24-85, 55-200
Group E: 35-70; 28-70
Group F: 22-55
Group G: 100-400 w/ 1.4x; 200-400 w 1.4x and 2x
Group H: Long zoom lenses with teleconverters

The trick is to determine 3rd party lens compatibility. I'll start aspect of the discussion with this link to Tamron's site, where they acknowledge incompatibilities between certain Tamron lenses and the 80D's live view:

http://www.tamron-usa.com/about/updates_​canon.php (external link)

OK, so now for my experience.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L: Excellent autofocusing in all aspects.
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC SP: Excellent autofocusing in viewfinder use, but locks the camera in live view so hard a battery removal is called for.
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8: Excellent autofocusing in all aspects.

I don't know where my Tamron and Tokina fall within the group designations. If the focus point illumination is any indication, I'm guessing A, B, C, or D as I have all 45 points available.

I'll also hypothesize that the lens group designation is not an artificial designation as much as it is the ability of the camera to make use of the image coming through the lens, e.g. a factor of the lens quality and the focusing situation (f/8 at 500mm, etc.)

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Sharlin
30 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 5 years ago by Sharlin. (3 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2016 12:13 |  #2

iowajim wrote in post #17965847 (external link)
Group A: EF-S 17-55mm; primes 2.8 or faster; EF24-70mm (both types)

The diagonal center cross sensor, like in all Canon cameras that have it, functions up to f/2.8, so Group A should contain practically every f/2.8-or-faster lens. (Apparently f/2.8 is wide enough that all the other AF points also work without problems whenever the center diagonal one does.)

I'll also hypothesize that the lens group designation is not an artificial designation as much as it is the ability of the camera to make use of the image coming through the lens, e.g. a factor of the lens quality and the focusing situation (f/8 at 500mm, etc.)

Yes. All Canon bodies with complex AF systems have this grouping of lenses. For example, the 1DX MkII has eleven groups, the 7D Mk2 has seven like the 80D but they're slightly different due to former's wider AF point spread and the latter's extra f/8 ability.

iowajim
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 09, 2016 13:57 as a reply to  @ Sharlin's post |  #3

Interesting! My last camera was the 70D and I don't recall any of these constraints, but the 80D certainly has them and it's a new topic for me to digest. Its purely a matter of curiosity, since it won't affect how I use the camera, but how might a person know what group the camera is performing in?

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,274 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 5 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2016 15:17 |  #4

There have been "constraints" since the first Canon DSLR, and even back to the first AF systems.

All that is changing is the number of incremental cut off points we see, due to the number of varying types of AF points that have been introduced.

On Page 50 of the EOS 3* manual for instance, is a full page that is pretty much the same as the current pages found in any EOS DSLR, explaining "AF Sensitivity and the Lens' Maximum Aperture"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

*The EOS 3 FYI is the 35mm AF SLR that introduced the long lasting 45 point AF system that ended up in the 1V, 1D, 1Ds, 1DII, 1DsII, etc,. and finally saw it's last version in the 1D MkIV)

And here we have the 2nd to last version of that same 45 point AF system with a few more types of AF points and corresponding AF sensitivity levels as seen in the EOS 1D Mark III manual on page 85

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TheNewGuy01
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 25, 2016 16:29 |  #5

I now have had a chance to attach both my tamaron lenses to my 80D.

Tamron 70-300 VC USD is group B focus. All 45 points.
Tamron 17-50 VC is at least a group B and might be an A, I have been unable to tell the difference so far. (Looks the same as my 50mm1.8 STM which is a group A).

Hope that this helps someone.

Great camera. WOW.

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,725 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 80D and Lens Compatibility
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.