Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Apr 2016 (Monday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by Mark0159.

Apr 25, 2016 22:07 |  #1

Lightroom Mac vs PC Speed Test | $4k iMac vs $4k Custom PC Performance Test

https://www.slrlounge.​com …stom-pc-performance-test/ (external link)

Performance Conclusion

While we really appreciate Apple’s approach to their hardware quality and design, we can’t justify the price to performance difference at this time.

Speaking conservatively, a 25% difference in performance would turn an 8 hour wedding edit into 10 hours. Spread across 30 weddings a year (for a typical studio), this is a 60 hour time difference in the time spent editing weddings. For a studio like ours shooting nearly 400+ weddings, a 25% difference would require 800 more hours of editing or nearly 20 weeks of productivity.

In this Mac vs. PC test, our results showed that the Apple iMac was behind by 35% or more across the board, making the PC the clear victor.

While this wont settle what's better, either a MAC or a PC, there have been plenty of posts posted here about those wanting something faster or more bang for their buck.

there is a lot more to think about when selecting a computer to work on. how the OS works is also one of them.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bleufire.

Apr 25, 2016 22:30 |  #2

CUSTOM PC SPECS

Intel i7-5960X @ 3.00Ghz overclocked to 4.5Ghz ($1025)
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME($480)
RAM 64GB ($350)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ($630)
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB ($300)
Corsair 450D Case ($125)
Corsair AX860 Power Supply ($140)
Corsair Hydro H110 Water Cooler ($120)
Windows 10 Pro ($100/$200)
EIZO 27″ FlexScan IPS Display 2560×1440 ($1000)
FINAL PRICE $4,370 (Amazon No Sales Tax *Where applicable)

vs

APPLE IMAC SPECS

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K Display
Intel i7 Quad-Core 4.00Ghz
32GB 1867Mhz DDR3 SDRAM
1TB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/ 4GB Video Memory
FINAL PRICE $4,431 (Apple Tax required)

Both are pretty awesome systems but for the PC, I get why they wanted to make a $4500 machine vs a $4500 machine but a 980Ti or the 5960X? Are those even necessary? Otherwise, it was an interesting read although it would of been interesting to see someone really drop the money on getting identical spec'd out machines and have em go at it, compare price to performance then do a take from there. Obviously the PC would have to be spec'd to what the iMac is and to figure out the 5K screen price is a whole 'nother bucket of worms.

EDIT: Actually, after reading some more you have the significantly different:
CPU: Octo-core vs quad-core (PC in favor)
RAM: 64GB vs 32GB (PC in favor)
GPU: 980Ti vs R9 M395X (PC in favor, I believe that R9 is the mobile variant so nothing near Desktop grade GPU)
Storage: SSD vs a SSHD AKA: "fusion drive" (PC in favor)

I am humored that the comments in that article are complaining that the specs aren't fair when it is a comparison of price and not comparison of "OSs with the same hardware".

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 26, 2016 00:34 |  #3

^ Good points.

Now go load up and compile some 4K video while rendering 3D CAD arcitecture models on both and see which one lasts.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,238 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2016 02:23 |  #4

I came on here to post this so was happy to see someone beat me to it, this article is great and has to be seen!

Bleufire wrote in post #17985177 (external link)
I am humored that the comments in that article are complaining that the specs aren't fair when it is a comparison of price and not comparison of "OSs with the same hardware".

The other funny comments are the ones complaint that they 'don't have the time'time' or knowledge to put a PC together and would rather get an all in one Mac. PC's are so easy and actually really fun to build. Stores here overcharge like crazy but even then, it only costs $70 for them to build and test it for you.

I believe if they had matched the specs of the Mac, the PC would have come out significantly cheaper. I've read before that when people buy something real expensive, they are more aggressive in their defense of the product because they have to justify their purchase. I've used iPhones and have Apple products still (Macbook Pro for my girlfriend and a iPad for both of us) but the price we pay for them is honestly too much.

When people touch on design, there's some custom PC builds out there that look amazing, especially the water-cooled builds that have LEF strip lights like the NZXT Hue+.

Mac's are in no way bad at what they do, you can just get equal performance with more options at a much cheaper price from a PC :D

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 26, 2016 03:02 |  #5

You could look at both machines that equally spec and see what the results are. But most people don't look at the specs and understand them.

Some people don't know what the differences are between a high end GPU vs a high end CPU.

most people look at price and that's why it's import to view an article like this from those that are going to see a price point first.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 26, 2016 04:23 |  #6

Computers spend most of their time waiting for people. 25% faster doesn't mean saving two hours per wedding, as they say in their conclusion, it's probably much less.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Lumens
451 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 26, 2016 07:58 |  #7

Somehow I always go with personal experience. Bottom line my 11" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz, 4 gig Ram seems to blow away both my 2.6 GHz, 12 gig Ram systems. And it is NOT by a close margin, my Macbook Air runs Lightroom no problem, the Win10 machines struggle big time.

I believe it has to do with the hardware that the manufacturer decided to use. I don't like using names on the Internet, but since Win10 was released the reputation of this manufacturer has taken a nose dive for good reasons.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 26, 2016 08:16 |  #8

More than anything in the last 4 years, I have wanted double the hardrive size much more than doubling my processor speed.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 26, 2016 10:15 |  #9

If you really need the horsepower (4k/RAW video editing), Apple is definitely on the wrong side of the price/performance curve right now. There's not much of a debate there.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,238 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dlee13.

Apr 26, 2016 10:24 |  #10

If everyone finds the comments on SLR Lounge funny, Petapixel is even funnier
http://petapixel.com …c-photography-speed-test/ (external link)

Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 3 years ago by joedlh. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2016 10:50 |  #11

Dlee13 wrote in post #17985357 (external link)
I believe if they had matched the specs of the Mac, the PC would have come out significantly cheaper. I've read before that when people buy something real expensive, they are more aggressive in their defense of the product because they have to justify their purchase.

So true. I myself prefer the PC because of the ability to customize it. I recently boosted my RAM and swapped the GPU for a GTX-980. A few years ago, I put in an ROG motherboard and an I7 CPU. Try that with a Mac.

I last used a Mac in a former job. The company had a broad and deep directory structure on the network. When they upgraded the OS to Yosemite, it essentially bricked the computer, which choked on the directory. And it was dropping wi-fi connections all over the place -- a little known Apple secret. The company had to give me an Ethernet wire for that. When Microsoft screws up at least they're somewhat apologetic and work to make it right, eventually. The more technical Mac user community was up in arms about Yosemite. Apple's response -- if you want to call it that -- was something like, "What??? An Apple OS is not perfect? You must be doing something wrong." The tech guys had to roll back the OS on my Mac to get it to work. That was a daunting task itself. Being Apple fan boys, they were convinced that I did something wrong. It was only when I presented a two-page log of times that I had to cold boot the Mac that they grudgingly admitted that maybe something wasn't quite right. Needless to say, it did not do much to improve my perception of Apple products.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 26, 2016 15:38 |  #12

Apple always has been a premium brand that enjoys high margins. If you read up on their financial results they tend to have a very healthy margin on hardware. Where most pc manufacturers have much thinner margins due to competition.

The windows machine could have been built for less, the $480 mobo is overkill even though x99 motherboards are expensive they certainly could have found one for at least $100 less if not $200 less. I also question how much benefit they are getting in performance from a 980ti vs. a video card that is 1/3rd the cost for anything outside of gaming.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,238 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 26, 2016 17:35 |  #13

joedlh wrote in post #17985741 (external link)
So true. I myself prefer the PC because of the ability to customize it. I recently boosted my RAM and swapped the GPU for a GTX-980. A few years ago, I put in an ROG motherboard and an I7 CPU. Try that with a Mac.

Not to mention the ability to run two GPU's in SLI/Crossfire which Mac's can't do. I must say I'm jealous of your 980, I'm using a very humble Asus GTX 750 Ti  :p

joedlh wrote in post #17985741 (external link)
I last used a Mac in a former job. The company had a broad and deep directory structure on the network. When they upgraded the OS to Yosemite, it essentially bricked the computer, which choked on the directory. And it was dropping wi-fi connections all over the place -- a little known Apple secret. The company had to give me an Ethernet wire for that. When Microsoft screws up at least they're somewhat apologetic and work to make it right, eventually. The more technical Mac user community was up in arms about Yosemite. Apple's response -- if you want to call it that -- was something like, "What??? An Apple OS is not perfect? You must be doing something wrong." The tech guys had to roll back the OS on my Mac to get it to work. That was a daunting task itself. Being Apple fan boys, they were convinced that I did something wrong. It was only when I presented a two-page log of times that I had to cold boot the Mac that they grudgingly admitted that maybe something wasn't quite right. Needless to say, it did not do much to improve my perception of Apple products.

The only way the logic makes sense to me is what I heard in a YouTube video ages ago. That is that because Apple products cost so much money, people feel a much stronger need to justify their purchases. I have friends with Mac's who have issues with files not able to open with no solution and programs that won't open or even uninstall. At least with a BSOD, you can figure out what the issue is and fix it. I used to have BSOD like crazy but I easily traced it to my RAM and once I fixed it, I have had no issues at all.

Also with my all the iPhones my girlfriend and I have had, we have returned them more than once due to warranty issues and when I tell people that, they don't believe me...

mrfixitx wrote in post #17986058 (external link)
The windows machine could have been built for less, the $480 mobo is overkill even though x99 motherboards are expensive they certainly could have found one for at least $100 less if not $200 less. I also question how much benefit they are getting in performance from a 980ti vs. a video card that is 1/3rd the cost for anything outside of gaming.

Yeah a cheaper Z170 Pro board, cheaper RAM and a GTX 960 with 4GB VRAM would have probably been more than sufficient.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 26, 2016 18:21 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Bleufire wrote in post #17985177 (external link)
vs

Both are pretty awesome systems but for the PC, I get why they wanted to make a $4500 machine vs a $4500 machine but a 980Ti or the 5960X? Are those even necessary? Otherwise, it was an interesting read although it would of been interesting to see someone really drop the money on getting identical spec'd out machines and have em go at it, compare price to performance then do a take from there. Obviously the PC would have to be spec'd to what the iMac is and to figure out the 5K screen price is a whole 'nother bucket of worms.

EDIT: Actually, after reading some more you have the significantly different:
CPU: Octo-core vs quad-core (PC in favor)
RAM: 64GB vs 32GB (PC in favor)
GPU: 980Ti vs R9 M395X (PC in favor, I believe that R9 is the mobile variant so nothing near Desktop grade GPU)
Storage: SSD vs a SSHD AKA: "fusion drive" (PC in favor)

you do understand this was a pricepoint comparison? this is what $4500 dollars gets you from PC and MAC camps. Apple crap is just to much overpriced.

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 26, 2016 18:44 |  #15

he does. yes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

9,728 views & 21 likes for this thread
SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.