Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 26 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

the blue marble

jamsomito
102 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 26, 2016 18:27 |  #1

I thought the title would have been enough, but I've had some questions on this photo, so I included my brief explanation below.

To me, this is what I see: The marble is actually clear, but it's reflecting the sky and some cool shadows, some trees in there too, and some glares from the sun. It kind of literally makes it a blue marble. But it's a reference to the Apollo photo taken of the earth from space where they referred to it as "the blue marble." It's kind of like that photo at the macro scale of the whole earth, where it looks like such a small object compared to the vastness of space, except here, it actually is a small object, a marble, sitting between two weathered wood planks, reflecting the vastness of earth. Juxtaposition of scale per se. It might be one of my favorite photos I've taken in a long time. (reference: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/The_Blue_Marbl​e)

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1503/26044229383_a3414594c3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FFru​2D  (external link) blue marble 4 (external link) by J Horton (external link), on Flickr

I was just messing around when I took this shot, but as I flipped through them in post, it really struck me that I like this photo a lot. I might take one of these marbles with me to a few different places and see if I can make it better, considering the reflections and all. What do you think?

Tedder
387 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2016 19:57 |  #2

I think you might be onto something.

Tedder Stephenson on Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,391 views & 2 likes for this thread
the blue marble
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.