Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Apr 2016 (Monday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bleufire.

Apr 26, 2016 21:40 |  #16

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17986214 (external link)
you do understand this was a pricepoint comparison? this is what $4500 dollars gets you from PC and MAC camps. Apple crap is just to much overpriced.

Ahem.... In my same post...

Bleufire wrote in post #17985177 (external link)
I am humored that the comments in that article are complaining that the specs aren't fair when it is a comparison of price and not comparison of "OSs with the same hardware".

My point was, you have heard over and over that a 980Ti, let alone something like a 980 or a 970 or even a 960, might actually be hugely overkill for little gain for things like PS and LR. (although no one has really tested it yet) If he was to throw a 950 or a 960, that would of saved easily over 400 bucks.

I mean, at that point he could of just replaced things like a i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 950 into a Corsair 950D with a custom water loop and fill it with a ton of LED lights till you hit that $4500 dollar margin and then factor that in for probably not much of a performance difference from the original config. (totally a guesstimating but I might not be too far off)

I do completely agree with ya though, Pye could of easily crushed that Mac with a much lower price, although that 5K monitor is the only thing people are holding onto as the major difference, as if Apple will be the ONLY one with a 5K even a few years down the line :-P

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17986236 (external link)
he does. yes.

:lol:

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,378 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 26, 2016 21:52 |  #17

Hmm.. Interesting. Actually what I came away with is that on the PC end you could have had nearly the same performance for about $1500 lower cost. Some of the things are not necessary for the application.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 27, 2016 03:32 |  #18

SLR Lounge also produce a lot of video content, hence the 980 graphics card and all that ram. It makes a real difference when using Premier Pro

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2016 08:00 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Moppie wrote in post #17986665 (external link)
SLR Lounge also produce a lot of video content, hence the 980 graphics card and all that ram. It makes a real difference when using Premier Pro

when working with panoramas I had lightroom use up to 16GB and photoshop up to 20+GB of ram.

Gear List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 27, 2016 12:39 |  #20

these threads are just salt in the wound. People buy MAC not only for hardware specs.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by gremlin75.

Apr 27, 2016 13:06 |  #21

Mac vs PC, DSLR vs mirrorless, Prime vs zoom, crop vs full frame, film vs digital, ect, ect, ect.

Some things will always be good internet argument!

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by neacail.

Apr 27, 2016 13:31 |  #22

Lumens wrote in post #17985529 (external link)
Somehow I always go with personal experience. Bottom line my 11" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz, 4 gig Ram seems to blow away both my 2.6 GHz, 12 gig Ram systems. And it is NOT by a close margin, my Macbook Air runs Lightroom no problem, the Win10 machines struggle big time.

I'm experiencing something very similar between my MacBook and my PC workstation.

Lumens wrote in post #17985529 (external link)
I believe it has to do with the hardware that the manufacturer decided to use. I don't like using names on the Internet, but since Win10 was released the reputation of this manufacturer has taken a nose dive for good reasons.

I think that is the crux of the issue right there. Macs come in very few configurations, with a great deal of care, consideration, and testing going into each piece of the puzzle.

Most PCs, in my opinion, are garbage slapped together. That Windows works as well as it does on the so many varied systems that exist is a pretty impressive feat, IMO.

An intelligently designed PC should be able to leave a Mac in the dust at the same price point. (I figured I should bold that, just in case it got lost in my sea of words) But, that's a job someone would really have to undertake on his/her own or have someone build for him/her. I have no confidence in big box store PCs.

My husband and eldest son both build their own PCs (my PC wasn't built by them, it is a Lenovo). While I am a bit envious of their ability to replace, upgrade, and swap out parts, I also see the frustrations they endure when things don't go as planned or work together as they should. I spend too much time fighting with photographic technology to deal with computer issues, too. I just don't have it in me.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Geejay
783 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Geejay.

Apr 27, 2016 13:38 |  #23

I bought a Mac mainly out of curiosity having used and built PCs at home and work for thirty years. After nearly three-years of using the Mac, I much prefer it to the Windows 10 laptop that I'm also fortunate enough to have. Windows just feels clunky to me now. The Mac was an expensive machine, though equivalent all-in-one PCs were similar prices. I like the design of the Mac and think that it has a very nice screen to sit in front of and I like the absence of cables .

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by nekrosoft13.

Apr 27, 2016 13:40 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

neacail wrote in post #17987101 (external link)
I'm experiencing something very similar between my MacBook and my PC workstation.

I think that is the crux of the issue right there. Macs come in very few configurations, with a great deal of care, consideration, and testing going into each piece of the puzzle.

Most PCs, in my opinion, are garbage slapped together. That Windows works as well as it does on the so many varied systems that exist is a pretty impressive feat, IMO.

An intelligently designed PC should be able to leave a Mac in the dust at the same price point. (I figured I should bold that, just in case it got lost in my sea of words) But, that's a job someone would really have to undertake on his/her own or have someone build for him/her. I have no confidence in big box store PCs.

My husband and eldest son both build their own PCs (my PC wasn't built by them, it is a Lenovo). While I am a bit envious of their ability to replace, upgrade, and swap out parts, I also see the frustrations they endure when things don't go as planned or work together as they should. I spend too much time fighting with photographic technology to deal with computer issues, too. I just don't have it in me.

I build between 10-80 PCs a month for industrial company, my PCs run 24/7. if you know what you're doing, issues are very very rare, like one in a thousand. since I started working for this company I build couple hundred pcs for them, in all I might have that 3-5 defective parts.

Gear List

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,378 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2016 13:51 |  #25

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17987105 (external link)
I build between 10-80 PCs a month for industrial company, my PCs run 24/7. if you know what you're doing, issues are very very rare, like one in a thousand. since I started working for this company I build couple hundred pcs for them, in all I might have that 3-5 defective parts.

^ This is a very good point. If you know what your doing putting together a high spec, low cost PC is pretty straight forward with little trouble. Unfortunately, putting together a PC has become so easy that many with a limited understanding on how things work are able to put together a working PC. The results can be quite interesting to say the least. To ring in a photo related analogy, I like to think of a PC as a DSLR. For those that have an understanding of the tool, they can get very good results with little trouble. Big box store and Macs are sort of like a point and shoot cameras. Take it out of the box, put it on the green box and start taking pictures. No need to understand anything. ;):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 27, 2016 13:51 |  #26

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17987105 (external link)

It seems to be selecting video cards that causes them the most grief and aggravation, and multiple trips to the computer parts store. Oh, and blu-ray drives. I don't know what they're buying, but those never seem to last long.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 27, 2016 14:16 |  #27

Charlie wrote in post #17987062 (external link)
these threads are just salt in the wound. People buy MAC not only for hardware specs.

This is an important point to make. Mac OS is a much different feel for a user than Windows machine. Macs just have a certain feel for many people that they just prefer and they understand that they are willing to pay that price difference just to have OSX over Windows. That is a totally subjective argument and no amount of benchmarks will change the OSX vs Windows arguments based on the OS preference of the user, hardware or pricing not considered.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,639 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Apr 27, 2016 23:02 |  #28

Bleufire wrote in post #17987135 (external link)
This is an important point to make. Mac OS is a much different feel for a user than Windows machine. Macs just have a certain feel for many people that they just prefer and they understand that they are willing to pay that price difference just to have OSX over Windows. That is a totally subjective argument and no amount of benchmarks will change the OSX vs Windows arguments based on the OS preference of the user, hardware or pricing not considered.

True. That being said though, I think people who can't adapt to one or the other are largely just being stubborn. I hated the idea of going back to Windows, it kept me from getting a PC to game with some friends of mine for a good while. Finally listened to their nagging and first dove in with Windows 7... I didn't love it, but it was pretty easy to figure out. Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't missed OS-X once though, I actually really prefer Windows 10, though I'm sure I could use either.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 28, 2016 00:22 |  #29

Charlie wrote in post #17987062 (external link)

Yea that's is true but there are a number of people that also buy of a price point.

The way I see is it that one should buy that best fits within the budget. If you do plan on buying based on the dollar value then perhaps a couple of people will see that they can get more bang for their buck by getting a PC over a MAC.

If you are buying because of OS then it doesn't matter.

neacail wrote in post #17987116 (external link)
It seems to be selecting video cards that causes them the most grief and aggravation, and multiple trips to the computer parts store. Oh, and blu-ray drives. I don't know what they're buying, but those never seem to last long.

People shouldn't be buying a top of the end video card for video or photo editing. Get midrange. The cards at this price point have been around longer and overall will have less issues.

I don't have an optical drive in my PC any more. Don't know why it's needed.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 28, 2016 00:28 |  #30

Mark0159 wrote in post #17987713 (external link)
o editing. Get midrange. The cards at this price point have been around longer and overall will have less issues.

For photo work yes, even the integrated Intel HD GPU's are more than powerful enough.
But for some video editors, Premier Pro being a good example, then there is a noticeable and marked difference in performance between a really high end card like a 980ti and a more mid range card like a 960.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

9,735 views & 21 likes for this thread
SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.