Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Apr 2016 (Monday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 28, 2016 01:45 |  #31

yea I have never done any video editing so what's required isn't something I know about.

A decated graphics is better than using onboard tho :)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004
Post edited over 3 years ago by Moppie.

Apr 28, 2016 02:10 |  #32

Mark0159 wrote in post #17987762 (external link)
A decated graphics is better than using onboard tho :)

Not for 2d work. I've run two systems next to each other as photography work stations, both i7's both with 16GB of ram, one running Intel HD the other running an Nvidia GTX670, both driving multiple large monitors. There was NO difference in performance.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 28, 2016 02:48 |  #33

see now it depends on the 2d work. the company that I work does a lot of GIS work and the speed performance that those users get from using a graphics card is quite good. We would never consider not giving them anything with a shared memory

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,415 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2016 08:36 |  #34

Mark0159 wrote in post #17987713 (external link)
... If you do plan on buying based on the dollar value then perhaps a couple of people will see that they can get more bang for their buck by getting a PC over a MAC.

If you are buying because of OS then it doesn't matter....

I think that this has been pretty well known for a long time. Mac's appeal has never been value.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 28, 2016 09:34 |  #35

Religion, Politics and Mac vs PC. Always starts an argument :)

Dollar for dollar you can certainly build a PC that is faster than a mac. In a week it will be obsolete (exaggerating but it seems that way some times).

Once Mac went to intel chipset upgrading the OS has become low risk. My 2009 iMac and my new Retina iMac run the same OS. In fact when I bought the new one it was plug it in, restore from time machine and I'm up and running.

When my wife had a windows laptop I was constantly having to mess with it. Programs would quit working, updates would crash it etc... Bought her a MacBook and no issues.

Buying Mac is not about getting the fastest speed for your money, it's about getting the most productivity for your money.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2016 10:10 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17987659 (external link)
True. That being said though, I think people who can't adapt to one or the other are largely just being stubborn. I hated the idea of going back to Windows, it kept me from getting a PC to game with some friends of mine for a good while. Finally listened to their nagging and first dove in with Windows 7... I didn't love it, but it was pretty easy to figure out. Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't missed OS-X once though, I actually really prefer Windows 10, though I'm sure I could use either.

I probably could get used to OSX, and I installed it on few Hackintoshes before. But I would never get used to the walled Apple garden. I want to use my hardware, build the PC the way I want, not be forced by some company to tell me what hardware i can and can't use. This whole its our way or its no way mentality its why I would never buy another Apple product again.

I prefer to have choices, options, and that's something Apple never has.

Gear List

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bleufire. (2 edits in all)

Apr 28, 2016 10:52 |  #37

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17988106 (external link)
I probably could get used to OSX, and I installed it on few Hackintoshes before. But I would never get used to the walled Apple garden. I want to use my hardware, build the PC the way I want, not be forced by some company to tell me what hardware i can and can't use. This whole its our way or its no way mentality its why I would never buy another Apple product again.

Most of the older people I work with and assisted that use Macs have it for light photography (family type stuff), web surfing, light writing, just appreciate the walled in feeling. They like having answers handed to them rather than finding what works better for them but sometimes that isn't for them because many don't know where to start. These are the kind of people that use iPhones for years but purchase a iPad or iPod and claim they don't know how to use them, like my parents for example. These are the types that giving them something like Windows can just be too free for them and those types also don't really seem to mind paying the Apple Tax just to have something that works even if it is lacking in full features or expandability. They just, deal with it. :rolleyes:

I don't blame the older crowd, retired or considering retirement, for not wanting to learn new technology if it isn't for pleasure. Now, for the younger crowd (40 and unders), there are many who should really just get some hair on their chest and learn both systems IMO. I recently just moved to Dallas and have been job searching for the last week and many jobs, non-IT included, have listed in there to have some kind of Windows system/application knowledge like Outlook, Word or Excel. They way tech has been moving in businesses, they aren't doing their careers any favors by neglecting Windows knowledge.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Canonuser123
724 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 28, 2016 11:39 |  #38

Mark0159 wrote in post #17985379 (external link)
Some people don't know what the differences are between a high end GPU vs a high end CPU.

Neither of these computers tested comes close to having a high end CPU or GPU in them.
Real high end computers have multiple CPUs that cost many thousands of dollars each, GPUs are very expensive also.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 28, 2016 12:32 as a reply to  @ Canonuser123's post |  #39

The Era of multiple cpu desktops is pretty dead. The cpu they used was a server cpu with 6 cores and hyperthreading so while not a top of the line serve cpu it was certainly a higher end cpu that is more powerful than 99% of consumer system.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,651 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 28, 2016 13:28 |  #40

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17988106 (external link)

This is my stance too. I get why some people prefer the simplity of OS-X, but Windows 10 is pretty much right there with it now and these days you can find a lot of great pre-built PC's that offer good value, especially over a Mac equivalent.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Canonuser123
724 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 28, 2016 15:15 |  #41

mrfixitx wrote in post #17988266 (external link)
The Era of multiple cpu desktops is pretty dead. The cpu they used was a server cpu with 6 cores and hyperthreading so while not a top of the line serve cpu it was certainly a higher end cpu that is more powerful than 99% of consumer system.

Yes, you don't need multiple CPUs for the average user, my point was neither of these systems tested was even close to high end.
Go max out a HP Z840 desktop workstation, it will stomp all over either of these computers, it also will cost more than many cars.
I have an older HP Z600 it has only 12 cores and is probably still faster than most computers out there, it was around $7,000 new.

Moppie
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 29, 2016 01:45 |  #42

Canonuser123 wrote in post #17988206 (external link)
Neither of these computers tested comes close to having a high end CPU or GPU in them

A GTX980 is about as high end as GPU's get.

flickr (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 29, 2016 07:13 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Moppie wrote in post #17989027 (external link)

ever heard of 980 TI? Or the Titans? or Quadros? GTX 980 is just the beginning.

Gear List

Canonuser123
724 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 29, 2016 09:34 |  #44

Moppie wrote in post #17989027 (external link)

Real high end computers can use multiple cards that can cost as much for each one as the Mac an PC computers being compared by SLR lounge,
Here is a workstation using a couple of AMD Firepro 16GB cards. http://www.amazon.com …ds=i+-x2+mediaworkstation (external link)

Some of these high end computers have as much as a Terabyte of ram in them, I think to max out the HP Z840 with a Terabyte of ram cost over $36,000 for the memory alone.

Moppie
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Post edited over 3 years ago by Moppie.

Apr 29, 2016 17:10 |  #45

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17989176 (external link)
ever heard of 980 TI? Or the Titans? or Quadros? GTX 980 is just the beginning.

Canonuser123 wrote in post #17989314 (external link)
Real high end computers can use multiple cards that can cost as much for each one as the Mac an PC computers being compared by SLR lounge,
Here is a workstation using a couple of AMD Firepro 16GB cards. http://www.amazon.com …ds=i+-x2+mediaworkstation (external link)

Some of these high end computers have as much as a Terabyte of ram in them, I think to max out the HP Z840 with a Terabyte of ram cost over $36,000 for the memory alone.

The 980TI and Titan being versions of what?
Oh yes, the 980. Which is "ABOUT" as high end as a GPU can get. :rolleyes:

Quadro and FirePro cards are NOT fast, they generally run older processors, or low speed versions of current ones. In outright performance they sit in about the middle of the pack compared to other GPU's. They have legitimate uses; 10bit support being a relevant example or high precision floating point calculations for industry.
But if you are rendering video or 3D than a higher end gaming card (like a 980) will walk on them, with around twice the performance.
The next step beyond that is to ask Weta or Dreamworks if you can borrow a render farm, but chances are if you actually need a Terabyte of RAM, you have already asked.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,786 views & 21 likes for this thread
SLR Lounge does a speed test between a MAC and PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.