Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography rates for events/clubs/parties? (pics inside)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2011 12:06 |  #16

@dubshotimage: IMO, charge an hourly rate for the time you spend at the event, and make sure that rate is enough to cover the time you'll spend doing processing later. For example, my rate right now is $100/hr including basic processing, not including prints or files. If I were to include the digital files (and all associated rights) then I'd charge more. If the event requires more post work than usual then I'd charge more - for festival shots you're probably not doing extensive post-processing, just the usual culling, cropping, white balance, sharpening. Weddings, glamour-style portraits, etc all fall under "more post work than usual."

If you feel like you're spending way too much time processing, you may need to either streamline your workflow (e.g. use Lightroom instead of Photoshop), or make changes to your choices as to which types of shots get what types of treatment. As a general rule, I don't think that 1/2 hour processing for each hour shooting is excessive - above, you said 2 days shooting and 1 day post, which sounds quite reasonable.

If the event organizer has a large budget for photography, they get a lot of shots. If they don't have a big budget, you just work for a couple of hours, and they only get a handful of shots.

[edit] OR, the event organizer has a small budget for photography, but you still spend 2 days shooting and 1 day postprocessing, and after all is said and done you realize you made $5.25/hr.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
spikeystitch
507 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 01, 2011 18:00 |  #17

My rates vary depending on the size of the party and where it's located. My standard rate is $200 for a night and goes up. Although, last week I was hired to shoot Electric Daisy Carnival for a large management company who paid for my flights from Canada to Las Vegas, put me up in a hotel and paid for everything, which is a few thousand dollars. Biggest piece of advice, find promoters/clubs/artist​s willing to pay for your work and don't undersell yourself.

flickr (external link) - http://www.stokedonpho​tos.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 5dMKII + Grip, Canon 40 DCanon 24-105L f/4, Canon 50 mm f/1.8, 580ex II, Canon 17-40L f/4, Canon 85mm 1.8 & Canon 35L.

stonewp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 04, 2011 00:44 |  #18

Back from the dead!

I shot photos at that place once more, but now I'm back in my hometown so I probably won't be taking pics there again unless they pay more to cover the 8 hours of driving roundtrip or unless I just happen to be in town on that weekend but I will definitely be looking for more money.

I believe my event pics to have a certain uniqueness to them that doesn't come straight out of the camera so in that regard, my pics get noticed more than others that are too generic. That is however, a big part of my post processing time. They go through some pretty heavy filtering in photoshop. Though I have set this up where a lot of it is automated now, it still takes my computer a looong time to carry out those effects on 200 pictures.

I use iPhoto and Photoshop which works well for me. I've tried Lightroom in the past but it just seemed like an overly complicated iPhoto or a severely dumbed down Photoshop. Maybe I'm wrong and just too dumb to see the benefits, but all it seemed to do to me was put the photos in an organizer with a few cheesy editing options.

Here are the photos from May.

http://www.flickr.com …01670655/with/5​862278746/ (external link)

stonewp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 04, 2011 01:09 as a reply to  @ spikeystitch's post |  #19

I may be shooting photos for a much bigger show next weekend... depending on the promoters reaction to pricing.

I'm not real familiar with the venues capacity, but from what I've heard it's sold out and Skrillex is one of the top dubstep DJ's right now.

http://www.youtube.com​/user/TheOfficialSkril​lex (external link)

I offered a CD of 200 photos optimized for web use for $600 with unlimited usage. 4 hours on site taking photos and 12 hours of processing time for me.

spikeystitch
507 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 05, 2011 17:58 as a reply to  @ stonewp's post |  #20

Honestly, you won't see that money. It's not a wedding man.

I have a very recognizable brand and I cover massive festivals for massive companies and I don't see that type of coin for 1 night. I also have a social network of over 3000+ people from around the globe and heavy hitting artists backing up my work. Unless you can provide a benefit or a justification that you're worth that much money, they'll get someone who will shoot for free or a fraction of the cost, to them event photography is optional and not necessary. Nightlife photography is a tough market and not something you'll get rich off and if you do, it'll take years of hard work at low prices.

At this point, a bar tab or $100 and exposure is going to help you more then anything, take it from me. I shot for 3 months solid making minimal money and sometimes based on the venue, paid more in cab fare then I made, but because of the hard work I put into it and not asking for major return I'm being flown around the world with artists to shoot shows and making decent coin off of it.

flickr (external link) - http://www.stokedonpho​tos.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 5dMKII + Grip, Canon 40 DCanon 24-105L f/4, Canon 50 mm f/1.8, 580ex II, Canon 17-40L f/4, Canon 85mm 1.8 & Canon 35L.

stonewp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 05, 2011 18:33 |  #21

spikeystitch wrote in post #12709600 (external link)
Honestly, you won't see that money. It's not a wedding man.

I have a very recognizable brand and I cover massive festivals for massive companies and I don't see that type of coin for 1 night. I also have a social network of over 3000+ people from around the globe and heavy hitting artists backing up my work. Unless you can provide a benefit or a justification that you're worth that much money, they'll get someone who will shoot for free or a fraction of the cost, to them event photography is optional and not necessary. Nightlife photography is a tough market and not something you'll get rich off and if you do, it'll take years of hard work at low prices.

At this point, a bar tab or $100 and exposure is going to help you more then anything, take it from me. I shot for 3 months solid making minimal money and sometimes based on the venue, paid more in cab fare then I made, but because of the hard work I put into it and not asking for major return I'm being flown around the world with artists to shoot shows and making decent coin off of it.

Yea, I realize that a lot of people will do it for free, but a lot of people deliver images that look pretty bland and I think a lot of those pics get passed over. I've gotten a lot of compliments about my pics and the event that I've been shooting for the past 2 years has increased in attendees and new faces considerably in the last year.

In the case of this upcoming event, that price would be the cost of 30 tickets.

If that's too much, I left the option for fewer photos for a lower price... and to be honest, I would probably still deliver 200 or more photos to show them my gratitude.

David05633
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by David05633.

Apr 28, 2016 13:51 |  #22

I get paid £40 a night to supply the nightclub 200 professional photos a night. The club are refusing to pay me more than £40 a night. Am I being ripped off?

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 28, 2016 14:26 |  #23

ask yourself this... How many hours do you spend doing the gig? (total from prep, shooting, editing, delivery), what is the total of all your expenses (gas, parking, taxes etc.) for the gig?

Take your pay subtract your expenses, then divide by the number of hours you spend on the shoot and you will get your hourly rate.

divide pay by the number of hours, if you are getting less than minimum wage stop do it and go work at McDonalds where you will get paid more. :)

Honestly, you need to figure out what your time is worth to you (after expenses) and get that rate. if you don't get that you are getting ripped off.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 28, 2016 14:33 |  #24

David05633 wrote in post #17988333 (external link)
I get paid £40 a night to supply the nightclub 200 professional photos a night. The club are refusing to pay me more than £40 a night. Am I being ripped off?

Was it worth digging up a 5 year old thread?

Clubs pay what the market will bear. A close friend of mine is a nightclub photographer in Vegas. Are there photographers who would shoot a night for $75 USD and free entry, and maybe some free drinks? sure. But will that same photographer be there on a Tuesday night in the winter, when they need a photographer for a private party because of a convention in town? probably not. To them, paying a slight premium to have a solid, consistent, in-house photographer is worth it, even if you could find someone for cheaper.

I used to shoot night club events in Hollywood when I was in college. I got paid in cash, and had a bar tab. Did I make great money? nope. But it beat waiting tables like a lot of my college friends were doing. At the end of the day, I made enough shooting 2 nights per week to pay for my meals and some fun during the rest of the week. If the same promoter were to ask me for a price quote to shoot an event now, my price would probably 3x what I was getting paid. Why? I have more experience, better gear, and my time is much more valuable to me now. After working corporate events where my take home pay was over $100/hr, shooting night clubs for lower than that doesn't seem worth it.

Supply and demand.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

David05633
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 28, 2016 16:01 as a reply to  @ spikeystitch's post |  #25

sponsored links

17,976 views & 1 like for this thread
Photography rates for events/clubs/parties? (pics inside)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.