Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2016 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No trespassing

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by farmer1957.

Apr 28, 2016 13:36 |  #1

Yesterday I find a photographer and there client on my property which is marked clearly no trespassing .

I have dogs .. and I don't want any unknown or uninvited guests on my island.
I live on a 20 acer Island in the middle of the desert .

The professional photographer felt fully justified about trespassing because she wanted the photograph and my property is pretty lush .

I have 2 mixed German Shepherds

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1110.photobuck​et.com …Buddy%201_zpsdl​s1s6xm.jpg (external link)

My message is don't do it....
I get tired of running people off my property, and I am sure I am not alone.
I put the no trespassing signs up to protect people from my dogs.
My dogs don't ever run off the property and I don't have them caged up .
My dogs roam freely on my property and the river make a natural border .

Someone wants to come on my property to do some photography then they should call me up and ask.
But I find it rude to catch people trespassing when they walked directly past a no trespassing sign and try giving me some stupid reason for them to be standing on my property.

My point is, its getting old, the no trespassing signs are not working a 100 %.
And I sure don't care to get tough with people, like block there car on my property with my dozer Lock the gate and go to town for a few hours ..
Have cars towed.
Its not Illegal to have any car towed off my property.....
But blocking a car in and then having it towed does seem a little insane.

Trespassing is a very good way to get hurt, the trespasser has no idea what the property owner has gone through with other trespassers.

Being very honest and not wanting to get rude with anyone but I am frustrated with this.
I do photography and I don't walk past signs that say no trespassing..

I guess I am just venting.

sponsored links
Lumens
443 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lumens.

Apr 28, 2016 14:35 |  #2

Unfortunately our society has fallen for the self esteem trap. We teach our kids to have self esteem so respect for others has gone out the window. They are taught they are their own god and no one can push them around. Self esteem is fine, but now they have to learn respect the hard way. Feel no guilt when you have to haul their vehicles away and let them walk home. They can discuss and maybe learn respect for others during the long walk home.

Just make sure the sign(s) are large and clearly visible just to be fair and show respect to them. They should not be trapped into the long walk, they should earn and deserve the long walk.

I know I am not much on mercy, I, like you am also getting tired of stupid people who have no respect for others.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,154 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 28, 2016 14:39 |  #3

Release the hounds!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 28, 2016 15:16 |  #4

When you think of how many neighborhoods such attitude could very likely invite a shotgun, I'm amazed at how many would take such a risk. Courtesy should be a given, but when it's not, you'd think at least self preservation would have a say.

My property s far smaller, a postage stamp back yard, and a side driveway. The backyard however is the domain of my two mix breed pits. The dog door gives them 24 hour access.
Just this past week I was summoned to the yard due to Grommets unusually long barking spree. usually it's a few deep barks as someone pases, and done.

I arrive to find a guy harassing him through the fence.
I kindly asked him to leave my poor dog alone.
"Your dog is awfully aggressive" was his drunkenly slurred response.
In fact, Grommet was being very much "Defensive" but I was not about to enter this debate with a drunk that thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with a 95 pound Husky, Lab Pit mix that looks like WonderDog with teeth like an alligator.

Please just leave my dog alone was all I could come up with.

He moved on, but you just have to wonder?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 28, 2016 15:21 |  #5

This seems crazy. Who would just drive up someone's driveway and take photos on their private property? If you see them they obviously can see your house, so it's not like they're confused whether it's private property or not. I also grew up on 21 acres of rural land, and no one ever bothered me this way. But I also grew up in a town where most people had land and trespassing for no reason was a good way to get a dog on your arm and buckshot in your back. Sounds very frustrating.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 28, 2016 15:24 |  #6

I blame the "Five Man Electrical Band."

And the sign said, Anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So, I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house
"Hey, what gives you the right?
To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here, He'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"

I'm not being totally facetious either. I'm convinced that song was the seed for youth with ridiculous senses of entitlement.

But, as far as what you can do about it, have you tried posting "Ask Permission" signs? They're a little less inflammatory and they might cut down on the bulk of the trespassers. I have a couple of friends who own prime hunting land here in Alberta, and they've had fewer problems since posting "Ask Permission" signs. The difference in the signs also leave different impressions with regards to how closely the land is being watched. "No Trespassing" can have a bit of an element of abandonment to it (if the house or buildings are hard to see), while "Ask Permission" leaves one with the impression that the landholder might be quite close.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 28, 2016 15:28 |  #7

Just walk out there with your 12ga on your shoulder and ask them what they are up to and tell them that you don't allow trespassers on your property. They need to ask ahead of time.

We have a "No Soliciting" sign so I always answer the door when solicitors knock with my 357 on my hip and my 125lb akita barking at them.

Also. you say it is to protect them from your dogs. I think of it as more to protect the dogs. If the dogs go and bite some trespasser while protecting your land, your dogs will be seized and possibly euthanized. I care more about my dog being unjustly put down due to some strangers ignorance than I do about said idiot being hurt.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by BlakeC.

Apr 28, 2016 15:43 |  #8

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17988446 (external link)
When you think of how many neighborhoods such attitude could very likely invite a shotgun, I'm amazed at how many would take such a risk. Courtesy should be a given, but when it's not, you'd think at least self preservation would have a say.

My property s far smaller, a postage stamp back yard, and a side driveway. The backyard however is the domain of my two mix breed pits. The dog door gives them 24 hour access.
Just this past week I was summoned to the yard due to Grommets unusually long barking spree. usually it's a few deep barks as someone pases, and done.

In fact, Grommet was being very much "Defensive" but I was not about to enter this debate with a drunk that thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with a 95 pound Husky, Lab Pit mix that looks like WonderDog with teeth like an alligator.

lol...just read your shotgun response AFTER i posted mine!

And I had a similar situation with my dog but in public on a leash. He is very socialized, nice, quiet, and approachable. But he will bark if you stare him down or come over unannounced. We stopped at a dog-friendly bar to have a drink on the patio over the weekend. A drunk old man comes stumbling up and tries to HUG my dog! Luckily Maximus is conditioned for such rudeness and very tolerant. But he was still uncomfortable with it and jumped back. I quickly corrected the guy and told him not to do that and to go away. He sarcastically apologized and walked away. Like you, I don't feel like wasting time with niceties on ignorant people. Just "Go away" lol

Just like you should always ask to use someone's property for photos, always ask to pet a strangers dog. You never know if the dog...or owner will bite :)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 28, 2016 15:45 |  #9

I'm curious as to what you mean by an island in the desert. Sounds interesting.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by farmer1957. (2 edits in all)

Apr 28, 2016 17:05 as a reply to  @ EOS-Mike's post |  #10

I Live on a 20 acer island in the middle of the Humboldt river northern Nevada .

There is a 2 acer river access park directly across the street.

You are welcome to come visit and photograph the wild life , just please tell me when.

From my drive way, from the middle of the desert .

http://i1110.photobuck​et.com …/bird%202_zpsgb​uelnp3.jpg (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,565 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2016 17:20 |  #11

neacail wrote in post #17988462 (external link)
I blame the "Five Man Electrical Band."

And the sign said, Anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So, I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house
"Hey, what gives you the right? To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here, He'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"

I'm not being totally facetious either. I'm convinced that song was the seed for youth with ridiculous senses of entitlement.

I have noticed that there is the twisted, sick notion that land is somehow different than other private property. Some people just have a concept of land as being something that is not, or should not, be able to be owned the way a car is, or the way that a camera is. They seem to think that trespassing isn't really wrong because no private person can (or should) really be able to own that land. People who think this way are sick, twisted, and wrong. Land is something that can be owned privately, and when it is under private ownership, then it belongs solely to the title holder to the exact same extent that a car is owned, or that a refrigerator is owned, or anything else for that matter.

I think that the song you quoted reflects the oddball hippy-style view on private land ownership that some very mistaken people still hold today.

What gives you the right?, the song asks. Well, I will tell you what gives landowners the right to put up fences and to keep others out. The hard-earned money they paid, along with the deed that has their name on it. That gives them the right. And that is as it should be.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 28, 2016 17:27 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17988446 (external link)

I have allot of homeless people down under the bridges around here .
I don't have any fences to contain my dogs .
When I first got my dogs i walked them around my property for months until they knew where they could go and where they could not.
I never walk my dogs off the property always in the back of my pick up and this seems to of worked because even if my dogs are at the end of my drive way chasing another dog they stop at the end of my property line.

Homeless people ( Big Problem ) My dogs don't like drunks and people who walk funny like they are drunk.
I don't know why , my dogs are from LA and all i know is the male ( buddy ) was locked in someone garage and the owners moved and abandoned him .
He was 3 hrs from getting put down by the shelter.
No one wanted him , and he doesn't leave my side.

http://i1110.photobuck​et.com …sheye%204_zpshl​6mxekl.jpg (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Apr 28, 2016 17:49 |  #13

I live in rural Indiana. Two public thoroughfares cross my land, a public road, and a public waterway. They intersect, so there is a bridge over the waterway. I have no problems if fisher-folk want to fish off the bridge. My problem begins when they drive a 4x4, or pickup truck, onto my land, trample my crops, and even leave their trash on my property. One guy fired a gun to scare off my dogs. Lots of these folks feel entitled to walk my land looking for a good 'fishin' hole'.

My land is open to friends, neighbors and generally anyone who asks politely and subsequently respects my property and my privacy. I have real problems with the jerk-offs who think public waterway means public property.

On a nice summer day last year, I let my dogs out and noticed a truck on my land, at the bridge. I walked down there to discover a perfectly unpleasant gentleman, wearing a sidearm, and telling me he knows the landowner, and to leave him alone. I excused myself, walked the 1/2 mile back to my house, and retrieved a Mossberg 590, two large dogs and a cell phone. He was not near as belligerent this time. I informed him that he was trespassing, and invited him to leave, immediately. He threatened to call the sheriff. I laid my cell phone on the hood of his truck and suggested 911 instead. He screamed and cussed and threatened. He did everything but put his hand on that sidearm. Smart. He didn't call the sheriff, so I did. He left in hurry. Some people.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 28, 2016 18:08 |  #14

I'd do the Private Property No Trespassing sign along with the Ask Permission to let people know you are open to let them visit. But I'd also have a waiver sign that states if they trespass or are otherwise on your land you are not liable for anything that happens to them or their vehicle including but not limited to: personal injury from _____ or attack due to dogs protecting their territory, cars getting towed, police called do to "potential home invasion threat".... You get the idea. Try to avoid the "I broke in to your house, tripped on a kids toy and am now paralyzed" lawsuit.

A beware dog sign can also help. You also have a way of blocking their car in, so why not use the gate to block their cars out?

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 28, 2016 18:34 as a reply to  @ kawi_200's post |  #15

Allot info you just posted.

I sure hate getting rude with people, regardless if they trespassing our not.
I have better things to do with my life then to deal with people who trespass.

I don't relish the thought of posting three or four different signs either but I do like the legal protection part .

Thank you

sponsored links

13,805 views & 62 likes for this thread
No trespassing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.