Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 12 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 04:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I use to mount iPhone to tripod?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,123 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by DreDaze.

Apr 29, 2016 13:11 |  #16

ben_r_ wrote in post #17989554 (external link)
Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense. I guess I didnt think of that because I wouldnt want to carry a mount thats larger than I need it to be for the device Im planning to use it with. Id rather have one for my tablet (not that Id use my tablet for this kind of stuff) and one for my phone.

the whole mount is the size of my iphone 5s...and by having the ipad mini spot you can mount the phone in the vertical orientation(not for video, but good for triggertrap)...i think i'd probably only use the ipad mini when i'm using it at my apt...could also be good if i do remote shooting with my 70D and use it to see the photos after i've shot them...for like self portraits, instead of having to use the small LCD screen

i've yet to really use it for anything to be honest...but for $4 i think it'll give me some different functions...i can't see what the ones for $30 would offer over it really

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,729 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 29, 2016 13:55 |  #17

Methinks lsquare needs to come back with some response to the posted suggestions, and
post EXACTLY what is meant by 'mount iPhone to tripod'...for WHAT PURPOSE?

1. to shoot photos using iPhone camera while mounted on tripod
  2. to shoot video using iPhone camera while mounted on tripod
  3. to provide some control of dSLR camera functions/review photos taken with dSLR on the iPhone after shot is taken
  4. to provide mobile data link to the internet/Cloud storage
  5. or ...?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by maverick75.

Apr 30, 2016 18:15 |  #18

If you walk into any store these days you'll find selfie sticks, the stick part will actually un-thread and then you can use the mount on a tripod. It's what I did, total cost $2.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 01, 2016 12:37 |  #19

maverick75 wrote in post #17990934 (external link)
If you walk into any store these days you'll find selfie sticks, the stick part will actually un-thread and then you can use the mount on a tripod. It's what I did, total cost $2.

This is true, but usually those mounts are really cheap plastic and I personally dont trust my expensive iPhone dangling off of anything in one of those mounts. Thats why I have been considering only good quality made metal mounts.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

MiamiC70
38 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 05, 2016 09:02 as a reply to  @ post 17988356 |  #20

I use when taking video with my iPhone handheld. You slide phone all the way to left and if you hold in right hand the record button falls naturally right under your thumb.

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by ericcrazyman. (2 edits in all)

May 05, 2016 11:28 |  #21

Some how I posted wrong link this is what I should have posted
iShot GP5500 iPhone Smartphone Tripod Mount Adapter Holder + 360° Swivel Ball Head

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2016 02:42 |  #22

Thanks for the suggestion. How does that compare to the GLIF?

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2016 02:43 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #17989591 (external link)
Methinks lsquare needs to come back with some response to the posted suggestions, and
post EXACTLY what is meant by 'mount iPhone to tripod'...for WHAT PURPOSE?

1. to shoot photos using iPhone camera while mounted on tripod
  2. to shoot video using iPhone camera while mounted on tripod
  3. to provide some control of dSLR camera functions/review photos taken with dSLR on the iPhone after shot is taken
  4. to provide mobile data link to the internet/Cloud storage
  5. or ...?

Wilt,

It's to shoot photos and videos while mounted on tripod.

MiamiC70
38 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 11, 2016 14:54 as a reply to  @ lsquare's post |  #24

Don't have a GLIF so can't compare.

Wilt
41,729 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 11, 2016 22:11 |  #25

lsquare wrote in post #18000779 (external link)
Wilt,

It's to shoot photos and videos while mounted on tripod.

Oh, my first reply was about simply securing a phone to a tripod, not for shooting.

For shooting, there are products like these http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …051677562%2C&Q=​&A=details (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by ben_r_. (2 edits in all)

May 12, 2016 10:33 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #26

That certainly looks like a contender. Wish there were more reviews on it.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,123 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 12, 2016 10:39 |  #27

i found a reason to use my mount the other day...held the phone well...but for video purposes there are probably better options

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7637/26738242561_e037a12057_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GJLt​Y6  (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Wilt
41,729 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

May 12, 2016 10:45 |  #28

ben_r_ wrote in post #18004598 (external link)
That certainly looks like a contender. Wish there were more reviews on it.

I'm not specifically advocating this product, but merely pointed out the existence of things on the market for tripod mounting smartphones. I found that via google search.

There are reviews, again via google of "joby GripTight smartphone"

BTW, one of the negative reviews on Amazon commented specifically about size...perhaps the Joby GripTight Smartphone XL had not yet come on the market when that review was written. There is a youTube video https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5-psWcd3lLM (external link) about the larger XL version.

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 12, 2016 15:03 |  #29

The Manfrotto TwistGrip Lets You Mount Your Phone on a Tripod.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 13, 2016 02:00 |  #30

DreDaze wrote in post #18004603 (external link)
i found a reason to use my mount the other day...held the phone well...but for video purposes there are probably better options

What did you used to mount your phone on to the hot shoe of the camera?

sponsored links

7,822 views & 1 like for this thread
What should I use to mount iPhone to tripod?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.