Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 28 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel photo backup

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 28, 2015 20:56 |  #1

I've been thinking about this ongoing now and I think I've even asked about it in the past.

My current laptop is a Lenovo X220 but is ultimately a bit too bulky for something I'd want to travel with. My alternative is a 15" macbook pro which is an even worse option

I've got a Galaxy Note 4 but apart from throwing a 128gb microSD (and figuring out how I could even copy photos to it...) I can't really think of any good solutions.

The HyperDrive sounds like a nice solution but it's so niche and quite expensive for what it actually is that I don't think it is the right thing for me.

iPads have no storage solution, so that's a bit of a flop...

Is there any way I could use my android phone or tablet, or an ipad, or some other solution to aid in photo backup? I do have a 5D Mark III so it has CF+SD - I may even end up just picking up more CF and SD cards, shoot RAW and fill them up and at least have 2 copies of the photos...

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Ursyn
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2015 09:59 |  #2

I haven't heard about any solution which could be useful without buying a new device. I'd simply shoot CF+SD. I don't know how many photos you may take, but I assume that it will be much cheaper to buy some cards that a new storage device.

Adrian | flickr (external link) & Instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,852 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Apr 03, 2015 10:07 |  #3

Is there no way that you can access the Cloud? Review Of The Best Cloud Storage Services (external link)

Backing Up Your Online Accounts (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2015 10:25 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17503198 (external link)
Is there no way that you can access the Cloud? Review Of The Best Cloud Storage Services (external link)

Backing Up Your Online Accounts (external link)

Trying to back up gigs of photos at some hotel WiFi or something will most certainly not work :(

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,852 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 03, 2015 11:20 |  #5

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17503221 (external link)
Trying to back up gigs of photos at some hotel WiFi or something will most certainly not work :(

Maybe you could be more selective in what you're backing up? At least the Cloud won't malfunction with all your images on it & it can't be stolen or lost. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by yogestee. (3 edits in all)

Apr 04, 2015 07:30 |  #6

Kaitlyn,, I just take a few CF/SD cards if I'm shooting heaps. They are cheap and generally reliable. I also load anything I want to view, share or backup onto my Galaxy Note 10.1. I have a 64GB Micro SD card installed.

I recently bought a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with a 64GB Micro SD card also. Transferring images and videos to your Galaxy is dead simple with the right adapter.

You are right, iPads aren't as user friendly as Android.

I've got one of these, a USB adapter and a cheap card reader to transfer anything the my Galaxy Tab S. I have a different one for my older Galaxy Note as the connection is different. The entire exercise cost me about 25 bucks and works a treat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,407 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by M_Six.

Apr 04, 2015 21:58 |  #7

I was just looking at these adapters the other day and was thinking I could do something like that. My Galaxy Tab has an empty 64GB card doing nothing. Why not put it to use?

For longer trips I haul my 13" MBP and a 2TB portable drive and I back up the old fashion way. Not what you're looking for, Kaitlyn, but I don't know of any other way other than Jurgen's idea.

Also, I did some quick research and found lots of folks saying that the Samsung adapter is worth the little bit extra it costs over some 3rd party adapter. Just FYI.

Mark J.
Gear

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by yogestee. (2 edits in all)

Apr 05, 2015 06:54 |  #8

M_Six wrote in post #17504747 (external link)
I was just looking at these adapters the other day and was thinking I could do something like that. My Galaxy Tab has an empty 64GB card doing nothing. Why not put it to use?

For longer trips I haul my 13" MBP and a 2TB portable drive and I back up the old fashion way. Not what you're looking for, Kaitlyn, but I don't know of any other way other than Jurgen's idea.

Also, I did some quick research and found lots of folks saying that the Samsung adapter is worth the little bit extra it costs over some 3rd party adapter. Just FYI.

Hi Mark,, the cards in my devices are usually crammed with music, movies and books. My Samsung smart phone is my portable music device and my tablets my movie theatre. I'm flying back to Australia this week to visit family. I've been loading movies to watch on the flight.

I've bought cheap 3rd party adapters but they never work as well as the Samsung models. It's worth spending a few extra bucks.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Stevegg
38 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 10, 2015 08:10 |  #9

Get an USB OTG cable (stands for USB on the go) for the Galaxy Note 4 and a small powered USB hub. You can then connect a suitable card reader and an external hard drive and transfer the files from the card to the HD using the file manager app that comes with Android. You can buy a RAW viewer app if you also want to view the files on the tablet.

Providing you've got a suitable portable hard drive already this is by far the cheapest solution.

6d, 7d, 50 f1.4, 100 f 2.8 L, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6
Flickr (external link)

cbfount
31 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 21, 2015 01:14 |  #10

Kaitlyn,

The nice thing about the hyperdrive colorspace is that it just plain works! It does incremental transfers and lets you verify that your photos are coming through. I purchased one for a long trip I was taking and just sold it off when I returned. $$ Loss was minimal on the sale. Purchase a bare-bones unit and stick a decent size HD or SSD in there. If you think you might have access to a computer, consider bringing a small form factor SSD drive (checkout the tiny 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB units from Monster Digital) and card reader. They aren't cheap, but they aren't one-trick ponies either. Mine has become a regular part of my travel regimen--storing an image of my computer and receiving TimeMachine backups when I choose to travel with the 11" Macbook Air.

I never delete my SD cards until I am home and everything is cataloged and backed up. Benefit of having all of you photos on one drive when you get home is that transfer back to your computer is speedy.
Actually, your idea of shooting simultaneously to SD an CF cards is solid. I've done that with my 1D. The discipline is in ALWAYS keeping your backup and originals separate and safe. If one stays in the hotel--the other is on my person. I stash shot cards in my passport carrier--which never leaves my body.

Best of luck!
Carl

Canon analog & digital and a small bag of sharp glass... Rapidly favoring my compact Fuji travel kit...

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 09, 2016 22:23 |  #11

An old thread, but my two cents: I have both the galaxy Note 10.1 and the colourspace. My colourspace drive stopped charging after a week and effectively died on me. It isn't particularly intuitive and I found that it is a one-trick pony. It's also expensive for what it does.

The note on the other hand (with the OTG option) doubles as a media centre - watch movies on the plane, play a few games when you're bored, surf the net and backup your photos. It's a no-brainer IMHO.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

azenis
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2016 02:12 |  #12

I'd just bring a light laptop... the smallest/lightest you can find/fit as long as it got a USB port then an SSD-based USB drive or an SSD in USB enclosure. A few Chromebook comes to mind or a few Windows-based tablets are fitting that requirement.

Unless you are going hiking where weight is strictly prohibited (in which case I'd suggest large SDs... they aren't that expensive nowadays), this provides the best flexibility.

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2016 22:28 |  #13

Has anyone looked at the Canon Connect Station as a portable backup? I will be traveling to San Francisco soon for a wedding (as a guest only) and thought that while it was not primarily designed as a travel backup, it just might work for those of us who shoot Canon. It has a CF and SD reader, a 1TB hard drive and is fairly inexpensive compared to the hyperdrive colorspace.

Thoughts?

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,256 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 29, 2016 23:17 |  #14

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17496007 (external link)
I've been thinking about this ongoing now and I think I've even asked about it in the past.

My current laptop is a Lenovo X220 but is ultimately a bit too bulky for something I'd want to travel with. My alternative is a 15" macbook pro which is an even worse option

I've got a Galaxy Note 4 but apart from throwing a 128gb microSD (and figuring out how I could even copy photos to it...) I can't really think of any good solutions.

The HyperDrive sounds like a nice solution but it's so niche and quite expensive for what it actually is that I don't think it is the right thing for me.

iPads have no storage solution, so that's a bit of a flop...

Is there any way I could use my android phone or tablet, or an ipad, or some other solution to aid in photo backup? I do have a 5D Mark III so it has CF+SD - I may even end up just picking up more CF and SD cards, shoot RAW and fill them up and at least have 2 copies of the photos...

Heya,

If you just need portable storage that is accessible, check out:

WD 2TB Wireless Portable (external link)

Tons of storage for photos on the go. Wireless access. Physical (SD card) access. Just push in a card, it copies and stores, go back to shooting. Connect wirelessly later with a tablet or phone and review photos at your leisure from it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

6,534 views & 1 like for this thread
Travel photo backup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.