Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do differently here?

andrewliu
25 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 20, 2016 02:34 |  #1

Getting back into photography and want to start shooting architecture/interior/​real estate stuff... I recently purchased a canon 16-35 f4 which I hope will give me amazing shots.

For this shot, I was using a 5dmk2 with a rokinon 12mm fisheye. I used the fisheye-hemi plugin in photoshop to correct the distortion... What would you guys do differently?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 20, 2016 06:57 |  #2

There is a colour cast on the right - mixed light sources. I think you could remove this in PP. Some more PP tidying up od marks on the floor. Some mess - wires backpack, papers could have been tidied up beforehand.

Impressed with the 12mm + correcting plugin. Verticals are very good!

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 21, 2016 05:55 |  #3

yeah, a lot of cleaning need to be done and that could be avoided beforehand.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,062 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 21, 2016 11:46 |  #4

The items on the near table could have been arranged in a more aesthetically interesting manner. The nearest things on the table - I don't even know what they are. Papers? Handkerchief? Oragami?

Meanwhile, the laptop behind that mess is readily recognizable; it is something that I identify with and that makes sense within the context. So I would have had the laptop positioned in a most advantageous manner, and had "the mess" either removed or moved to the background area behind the laptop. Or better yet, tidy that mess up a bit so that the viewer can easily see just what the items are.

You could even have some fun with the laptop, and get permission to use it so that you can pull up some image or text on the screen that would in some way reinforce the statement that you are trying to make with this image. Of course, any such display could just be edited out if you later decided you didn't like it.

While there are a lot of things I really like about this image, there is no focal point at all. I mean, there is no one place that my eye goes to automatically. My eyes just keep roving around the scene and never really settle on anything. That is one reason why I suggested that the laptop screen be employed more effectively and intentionally, as doing so could provide a much-needed focal point.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,106 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 21, 2016 13:57 |  #5

andrewliu wrote in post #17978103 (external link)
I used the fisheye-hemi plugin in photoshop to correct the distortion... What would you guys do differently?

There still seems to be a lot of distortion. Are any of those curves present in the real ceiling and floor? Seeing curves where I expect straight lines gives me a sense of disorientation, as if I might be getting sick/dizzy and my perceptions can't be trusted.

The architecture and furniture suggest stark, businesslike modernism. I don't think sepia works well with this style. It makes for an antique look that clashes with the newness of everything in the scene.

The ceiling lights are so bright they make flares. One at the back wall near the right, particularly, wipes out detail in objects nearby. There are also some light spots on the ceiling which aren't visibly attached to light fixtures. Generally, this image has many areas of extreme light and extreme dark. You might try pushing the tones toward the middle. Diffuse lighting might have been more flattering. Was this shot at night, with only the room lights? I don't know what's outside the windows, but if they go to the outdoors, sunlight there would even things out a bit.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,974 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2016 14:51 |  #6

OhLook wrote in post #17979873 (external link)
There still seems to be a lot of distortion. Are any of those curves present in the real ceiling and floor? Seeing curves where I expect straight lines gives me a sense of disorientation, as if I might be getting sick/dizzy and my perceptions can't be trusted.

The problem with the ceiling is that even if a perfectly rectilinear lens was used, you would still end up with the distortion from the perspective that the shape of the room forces on you. Being in the corner of the room does accentuate them though as you are getting them curving in two different directions, but if you need to shoot from that location there is nothing you could possibly do about it. You see the same effect in the furniture to some degree, and also in the lines on the floor. It is s limitation of having such a wide field of view.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2016 12:41 |  #7

Honestly, I would ditch the fisheye and take two are three shots with a less wide angle lens. Photoshop or ICE will put them together in seconds with less distortion.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,050 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 30, 2016 12:44 |  #8

I like it. But next time -- Remove clutter from the table; slight distraction, unless that's a point of the photo. Consider correcting for two WBs, too.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,974 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2016 11:15 |  #9

kjonnnn wrote in post #17990647 (external link)
Honestly, I would ditch the fisheye and take two are three shots with a less wide angle lens. Photoshop or ICE will put them together in seconds with less distortion.

I doubt that you would see any less distortion with a stitched image than he has got from defishing the fisheye. It's a simple matter of geometry. You cannot really remove perspective distortion like this, while maintaining a 2D rectilinear projection. As Scotty would say, you cannae change the laws of Physics.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jclaveria1
34 posts
Joined Apr 2016

May 17, 2016 00:31 |  #10

If this is going to be architectural shot and you have control of the environment, I'd have the ladies clean up the place and organize it a bit more.

The bag on the chair and all the stuff in the table is catching my attention. Arrange the chairs in symmetry and don't cut the chair on the front pic.

Also needs another extra photo or two for different perspectives.

Other than that, I like the color.

jffielde
195 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 17, 2016 14:25 |  #11

I would try to move to the left a little and angle the camera more to the right, so that the dead space at lower-left was reduced. I would also desaturate or someone reduce the yellow-orange color cast on the right side of the image. I like the image.

sponsored links

2,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do differently here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.