Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Apr 2016 (Monday) 11:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to make this better next time

Stregone
232 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2016 11:59 |  #1

I was taking some pics of a friends dog in the so called 'golden hour' light the other day just to play with my new lens. I was pretty bummed because some clouds rolled in in the distance and blocked the nice moody light. When I got home and started looking at the pics I actually liked what I saw for the most part. My main issue is the subject doesn't really separate from the background all that much. I'd ilke to try this again but actually approach it with a plan this time.

I feel like careful application of a flash would be what I need, but I am am very inexperienced with that aspect of photography. I do have a basic yongnou(sp?) speedlite setup 2x speedlites, stands, and umbrellas. How would set this up? Would just a reflector work? Maybe there is a processing technique that can help.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Stregone's gallery.

Some other thoughts for next time: Don't play with new lens, use 50mm 1.8 or 100mm 2.8 for more compression. Related to that choose a different location with a less distracting background.

Thanks.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 18, 2016 12:52 |  #2

It looks pretty good, but would have been even better with a 30X40" card bouncing some light into the head. A longer lens would have made the trees more out of focus, & I'd lose the leash.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Stregone
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2016 20:31 |  #3

Looking at the photo more I think I figured out what was bothering me. Her body is still getting some of that diffuse warm light, but her head is just barely not turned enough to get any. So it kinda de-emphasises her head. The whole photo has a nice warm feel to it, but her head is in blah flat light.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,402 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2016 20:33 |  #4

A reflector and flash gelled to match the orange light would solve that problem nicely, I suspect.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 18, 2016 22:41 |  #5

Here's what you can do with a little PP. I'll remove if you object to my editing it:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 19, 2016 16:22 as a reply to  @ Stregone's post |  #6

I think the lens choice will make a big difference, but also the use of one flash in an umbrella (or other diffuser) will make a big difference - giving the lighting a directional feel is usually a pleasing result.

Take a picture without flash, get the settings where you need them with the bg slightly under exposed, then ad flash into the mix. shutter speed controls ambient. aperture controls the flash exposure. it takes practice, so get a stuffed dog and figure out some settings to start with and then get the real thing. :-)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

grism13
188 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 22, 2016 12:01 |  #7

I think you needed some fill flash but you can also lighten up the dog a bit in PP. I would use a curves layer, set the blending mode to luminosity then bring up the the light a bit then mask out the background so it stays dark.

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)
http://www.grismphotog​raphy.com (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2016 12:55 |  #8

First, kudos on getting him to actually pose.

- I like the clouds and find blue sky in many instances boring.
- If one of your goals was separation from the background, using the wide angle lens was the wrong choice. A longer focal lens wide open, and the increased distance from Fido, would have given you more separation. With your wide angle lens wide open, having to be so close to fill the frame negates any separation.
- Flat lighting isnt always a bad thing. Strong direct sunlight in this situation might have created exposure issues.
- Since you've gotten Fido to stand still for posing, trying spot metering off of him, if you feel the present exposure is too dark. If its cloudy or the light is on the flat side, reflectors wont throw that much light back.

sponsored links

2,088 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to make this better next time
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.