Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,146 posts
Gallery: 1853 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 30, 2016 02:48 as a reply to  @ post 17909857 |  #1771

Best concise understandable explanation.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
19,146 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 30, 2016 02:55 as a reply to  @ post 17989124 |  #1772

There were two places that justified to me owning the 300/2.8isii, s.Africa and Costa Rica but for Mongolia
it's almost all F4=16-35, 24-70, and the 100-400ii. Someone suggested the 200-400/4 but with the DXii
I'm already at the limit weightwise of what the body can stand. Throw in 2 extra batteries/the charger and
a 1.4TC and I'm done.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
19,146 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MedicineMan4040.

Apr 30, 2016 02:57 as a reply to  @ post 17989113 |  #1773

I'm blessed. My she-boss is birthday presenting the DXii to me :)
I actually traded her an OMD m10ii for it.

flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,831 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by digital paradise.

Apr 30, 2016 09:56 |  #1774

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17990142 (external link)
a few caveats before i post:

i am very tired
i just opened my third beer, and i don't drink "light" beers if you know what i mean
everything i've read about the color tracking thingy has been on POTN
flying by the seat of my pants is often the way i live, and it seems to work

so anyway, this focus aid seems to be a mini sensor. Sure, it is not a true RGB sensor but the ability to sample what seems to be many thousands of sites across the frame and analyze them is very similar to a mirrorless camera being able to look at the direct data from the sensor. The question becomes, which method is better?

with a mirrorless, all the data comes from one place and is parsed. I have to think that the information is taken from a low res image, maybe the same that goes to the EVF, maybe something not quite that low res? either way you have an image sensor that is specialized for one task and then ask it to do another. Kinda.

with the Canon system, given that the iTR is a specialized system, it is built to perform its task and no others, this alone should lend some advantages with processing overhead if nothing else. Face detection in pretty much every form is just looking for patterns. If the software built to detect faces is just looking for a pattern, it can be told to prioritize certain patterns over others, and if it can prioritize known facial patterns, why not temporarily prioritize any pattern?

for instance if the focus point isn't over a face when focus is acquired, a face can still be picked up by the camera and potentially tracked. But if some other random pattern, say a bird's beak or bear's butt IS under the focus point, why not just temporarily remember that pattern? I guess what i'm saying is that it is much more than just tracking the color that might be under the focus point, it is intelligently knowing where that color and pattern exist and how they change shape as they cross the frame.

I first read about color detection aiding focus assist after picking up my 6D and I have become convinced that it plays a huge role in allowing the camera's 11 points to do a much better job tracking objects. I also think that Canon expanding their DSLR product line in the last 10 years has been a great way to run consumer product testing on a grand scale and that this camera the culmination of those tests. Probably pretty obvious.

conclusion? just more speculation. But after hearing a little about the enhanced extra sensors that support AF, I tend to think that this has been part of Canon's anti-mirrorless strategy all along. We still get an optical viewfinder but we also get tech to enhance an already stellar AF system. The extra sensors are built for a specific task which makes allows it to do its job better yet doesn't drag down battery life since it is not always active. Pretty sure I have more seat of the pants ideas about Canon's marketing strategy, but not only did i just finish my 4th beer, i realized i didn't eat a proper dinner.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Definitely a 1 beer reply :-) I was not aware of the extra sensors. Rudy states "The RGB metering system is using a combination of skin tone, facial details and shapes to recognize the subject as a human face". frankchn stated that Canon trains using thousands of faces which make sense. Birding is on of the more popular shooting subjects. A beak is a pretty basic pattern. Who knows if Canon included that but like you said it may just look for a pattern and use it with colour. That makes sense to me and would not be tough to do with todays tech.

I use zone a lot for BIF but disabled iTR the first week of ownership. I want to try it this summer and know I have a better understanding of what my camera might be doing. It is no wonder there are warnings about turning it off (and anti flicker) if you want to achieve max FPS. A lot of resources being used as the system hunts for facial patterns and colours. I'm going to post this info in the 7D2 focus discussions as the manual explains it poorly. Face recognition has to be active in AI Servo.

Thank you as well frankchn which I imagine is Frank.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,092 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 30, 2016 12:09 |  #1775

digital paradise wrote in post #17988028 (external link)
Being an owner both the 7D2 and 5D3 the 7D2 has all cross type AF points. The 5D3 has some horizontal points which I have disabled. I noticed this on the IDX II as well. There are more dual type and other improvements but I'm wondering why Canon would not have made the horizontal points dual at this stage of the game?

Probbly because the AF points in the full-frame cameras have higher precision. Thus they require more space on the AF sensor, which in turn makes it more difficult to fit in cross-type points everywhere. Besides, if the 7D Mark II is like the 7D, then they are not all cross-type at the same time, but only when used independently.

Anders

Robertk2012
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 30, 2016 13:50 |  #1776

What is everyone using to convert/read the raw files?!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 30, 2016 13:51 |  #1777

Latest version of DPP4 I think is the only option as of now.

^ Incorrect, ignore ^

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,633 posts
Gallery: 1654 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 30, 2016 14:19 |  #1778

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17990710 (external link)

Hm?

I don't have the camera yet but I could've sworn this most recent LR update can open 1DX2 raws.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

aehric
109 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2015

Apr 30, 2016 14:19 |  #1779

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17990710 (external link)

Adobe Camera RAW 9.5 and Lightroom 6.5 can open the RAW files.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …ug-supported-cameras.html (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,831 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 30, 2016 14:24 |  #1780

apersson850 wrote in post #17990616 (external link)
Probbly because the AF points in the full-frame cameras have higher precision. Thus they require more space on the AF sensor, which in turn makes it more difficult to fit in cross-type points everywhere. Besides, if the 7D Mark II is like the 7D, then they are not all cross-type at the same time, but only when used independently.

That makes sense. Thanks

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 30, 2016 14:50 |  #1781

jwcdds wrote in post #17990728 (external link)
Hm?

I don't have the camera yet but I could've sworn this most recent LR update can open 1DX2 raws.

Looks like your spot on.

aehric wrote in post #17990729 (external link)
Adobe Camera RAW 9.5 and Lightroom 6.5 can open the RAW files.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …ug-supported-cameras.html (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Robertk2012
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 30, 2016 18:09 |  #1782

For some reason the Lightroom and Photoshop updates just popped up for me! Makes my life much easier!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 30, 2016 19:03 |  #1783

Robertk2012 wrote in post #17990930 (external link)
For some reason the Lightroom and Photoshop updates just popped up for me! Makes my life much easier!

same here... they were there when I got up today.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

aehric
109 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2015

May 02, 2016 10:28 |  #1784

I hope this will give hope to everyone still awaiting their confirmation emails.

I ordered my 1DXII from Adorama on April 27th, five days ago. They said there were around 250 people ahead of me, and they'd let me know.

I was cautiously optimistic, I knew my chances. Well, it may be time to head to Vegas. :P

Because this morning I woke up to this! :-D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 02, 2016 10:55 as a reply to  @ aehric's post |  #1785

Congrats! I ordered from Amazon on April 3 and my status is at "preparing for shipment". Says it's expected to ship today and arrive Wednesday.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

sponsored links

284,963 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.