Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 25 Apr 2016 (Monday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good hat for photography?

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 25, 2016 21:40 |  #1

I'll be hiking a lot this summer in the sun and looking for recommendations on a good hat that will protect my neck, nose, and ears while not being a total PITA to shoot with. Any recommendations?

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 26, 2016 14:44 |  #2

James33 wrote in post #17985129 (external link)
I'll be hiking a lot this summer in the sun and looking for recommendations on a good hat that will protect my neck, nose, and ears while not being a total PITA to shoot with. Any recommendations?

I used to have a Gore-tex hat made by Outdoor Research. It had a fairly wide brim; about 3 inches, which was wide enough to keep the sun out of my eyes. The thing I liked about it was that it was very "crushable". or packable, or whatever you want to call that. It was flimsy and had barely any structure to it, which was ideal because that way I could crumple it up and stuff it in a pocket, and it wouldn't have any "memory".

Here is a link to some Outdoor Research hats that look comparable, although I am sure they discontinued whatever model I had, as that was over 20 years ago.
http://www.backcountry​.com …UaAr348P8HAQ&gc​lsrc=aw.ds (external link)

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

James33
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2016 15:56 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #3

Thanks! I'll look into these!!

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by neacail.

Apr 26, 2016 16:36 |  #4

For sun I use this one: https://www.railriders​.com …-p-1029.html?cPath=90_101 (external link)

For rain, this one: http://www.outdoorrese​arch.com …e-sombrero/category/2206​/ (external link)

Both are awesome.

Edit: Note that I have yet to figure out how to shoot in portrait orientation while wearing a hat without looking like a doofus.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 26, 2016 16:43 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

How about one of these (external link)?? :)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,333 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA. (3 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2016 20:06 |  #6

Personally I like the Tilley line. I've had one for close to 30 years and it still looks great in spite of a lot of use and probably an annual laundering. Expensive, but worth it. Check the warranty at http://www.tilley.com/​us_en/guaranteed-insured/ (external link).

http://www.amazon.com …-Airflo-Hat/dp/B0033WRVQI (external link)

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by Ah-keong.

Apr 26, 2016 20:55 |  #7

For sun, I recommend a outdoor research & sunway.

http://www.outdoorrese​arch.com/en/sun-runner-cap.html (external link)

https://sunwayuvclothi​ng.com …07/IMG_0360_m-277x358.jpg (external link)

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 26, 2016 22:35 |  #8

I use this:
http://www.tilley.com …weather/ltm2-airflor.html (external link)

Everyone mocks my style saying I belong on safari but it'll keep me 10 degrees cooler on a hot day, I can go portrait and mash it up or lift it out of the way without it falling off. Keeps the sun off my neck, out of my eyes and my ears don't burn; breathes, blocks the rain and I can keep the body pretty dry with just this letting me not have to go full camera rain coat right away. String lets me keep it taught on my head so I don't have to fuss with it in the wind. Also easy to toss in the camera bag or cargo pocket, clean it up and keep it in my car for hot FL days. Picked it up at my local Gander Mountain Years ago.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2016 16:20 |  #9

I use a c cowboy hat with a 4 inch brim, I will also used the hat to bock the sun to prevent flare at different times I have a 100% beaver hat and wear it in the sun rain or snow with out any problems.

Steve

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
235 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 02, 2016 00:02 |  #10

I hike a lot, with and without camera gear. For the last 20 years or so, I've also wear a Tilley. I used to have the wide brim, now I have the mid brim hemp.

rdricks
574 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2016 20:06 |  #11

Another fan of the Tilley. Was recommended to me by a Dermatologist. Used it in sun, rain, hot, cold. Great hat, and just throw it in the wash when dirty and it comes out looking like new.

-Ryan
Gear List
flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2016 20:19 |  #12

I like the soft full brim hiking/fishing etc hats, some even come with a piece of cloth that hangs over your neck (some allow you to roll that up and have some velcro to hold it there) which is nice if you have the sun in your back for a long time. I prefer them over caps or hard brimmed hats, since you can shoot portrait no problem, the floppy brim just folds up and out of the way automatically. I guess the ones I like best are called Aussie hat. If you search for hiking hat on Amazon you'll get a wide variety. If you're hiking where it's hot, get something thin and/or made of some modern fabric, not cotton. Mesh works too, but people with less hair on their head might need to put suntan on top. I'm not quite there yet to have to worry about that. Not quite.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

James33
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 03, 2016 15:38 |  #13

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations! I got this:

http://www.outdoorrese​arch.com/en/sombriolet​-sun-hat.html (external link)

OR hats are lifetime warranty just like the Tilly. This one is large enough to keep sun off my neck and ears and the front of it is easy enough to flip up if I shoot in portrait, or just let it slide off the back of my head and hang around my neck with the cord.

James

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,475 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by Perfectly Frank.

May 04, 2016 13:09 |  #14

James33 wrote in post #17994759 (external link)
Thanks for all the tips and recommendations! I got this:

http://www.outdoorrese​arch.com/en/sombriolet​-sun-hat.html (external link)

OR hats are lifetime warranty just like the Tilly. This one is large enough to keep sun off my neck and ears and the front of it is easy enough to flip up if I shoot in portrait, or just let it slide off the back of my head and hang around my neck with the cord.

James

The brim is too small, not much sun protection.
What you really need...

http://www.amazon.com …fRID=186QCY32N2​Y831S5JXBC (external link)

Here's how you'll look :-)

http://www.amazon.com …087UGN8I/ref=ct​s_ap_2_fbt (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 04, 2016 13:14 |  #15

flyfisher wrote in post #17992153 (external link)
I use a c cowboy hat with a 4 inch brim, I will also used the hat to bock the sun to prevent flare at different times I have a 100% beaver hat and wear it in the sun rain or snow with out any problems.

Same here but a Texas straw hat. Very light, very cool, very shady. Down here in the Lone Star State they are not a fashion statement but if you spend any time out doors between April and September, they are a necessity.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

7,495 views & 17 likes for this thread
Good hat for photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.