Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 May 2016 (Monday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Site feedback (NSFW)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,461 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Hatch1921.

May 02, 2016 16:05 |  #1

I wasn't sure if this was the right place or not to ask for feedback on my site? If not, admin, please delete.

If you have a free minute, would you mind taking a look at my site? I'm in the middle of revamping it while combining content from one of my other sites. I'm looking to find out how the images load, if they look nice scaled on your monitors...is the text easy to read....etc.

I haven't had a real shoot in 3 years... it's time to jump back in the game so to speak. I have a shoot lined up this weekend.. I'll post some shots. In the time being, I want to have the site nearly finished and your feedback would be helpful.

The url is temporary until I make the switch.

http://frankhatcher.fo​rmat.com/ (external link)

Thanks,
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
sirquack
Goldmember
2,563 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 02, 2016 20:32 |  #2

The only things I would recommend, is either create galleries with a few string images in each, or reduce the number of photos on the main page tremendously. I had a hard time scrolling with whatever template you are currently using. The image size seems good, and they loaded pretty quickly, but I am on a decent bandwidth connection, so that might be part of the loading time being so quick.
The Blog, Contact and Info are good. Nice, simple and easy to read.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,461 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2016 20:47 |  #3

sirquack wrote in post #17993678 (external link)
The only things I would recommend, is either create galleries with a few string images in each, or reduce the number of photos on the main page tremendously. I had a hard time scrolling with whatever template you are currently using. The image size seems good, and they loaded pretty quickly, but I am on a decent bandwidth connection, so that might be part of the loading time being so quick.
The Blog, Contact and Info are good. Nice, simple and easy to read.

Many thanks for the feedback. Hmmmm with the main page.. if you mouse click depending on the direction of the arrow... it will advance. I'll have to take a look at it and some other templates.

Thanks again,
Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,234 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by FarmerTed1971. (3 edits in all)

May 02, 2016 21:07 |  #4

Loads really slow on my iPad. I have a cable modem.

Beautiful work.

My comments would be:
-Too many pix of the same person. Take your best one or two on the main gallery page and post them.
-I'd also like to see a few clickable galleries. All that scrolling on the home page is tough for me.
-Are you actively updating Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr, Google+? If not, delete a few of those.
-Blog... One entry per day, max. If I'm following you I don't want that much content.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 02, 2016 21:43 |  #5

Template looks fine but no more than your 20 best impression images up front, honestly 10 best if you can be that harsh with yourself. If I'm a client you want to blow me away with those first few images so that I'm just looking to book you. 2nd best doesn't go up front, and it looks like it's got 3 best of each session. Pull variety from different shoots, no more than one image per event/session Where you have Blog, About, Contact consider putting up links to galleries, sort by style or session.

Similarly, for your blog you could probably do a side Menu with tabs for gear reviews, tutorials, lighting diagrams. For where that is now it's fine, if you update it weekly for a year it's going to be much harder to find what I'm looking for.

The about page is done well, my eyes jump to your photo not your message, it's a good photo, just a matter of where you want to direct me.

Super Super nit picky, the font feels a little tight (tall and narrow, it bugs me on some of the punctuation and spacing between letters, some of the letters feel a little tall).

You've certainly got a good foundation to expand upon.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 02, 2016 21:46 |  #6

I would second what some of the previous posters have said. I am on a 150mbps connection and there are times the site is still a bit slow to load photos when scrolling.
To many photos of the same person in the same outfit or are to similiar. The three portraits with the hat at the very beginning are a good example of that, I think you would have been fine with just one good shot.

Your photos are excellent, and I think if you tweak the selection of photos on the front page some so you have less duplicates. You can always add a gallery or a link for people to see more if they want to you. I also really like your blog layout it feels very clean and elegant. I realize the site just went up but once its up and established try to make sure your not posting multiple times a day. On blogs where the author posts multiple times a day it can make readers feel like it's hard to keep up, use other social media for shorter posts.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,461 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2016 22:54 |  #7

Great and valuable feedback all. I've made some changes....

Reduced the main images... just one per person...

Started adding a few galleries

changed the blog font up a little

changed the highlight links some (minor)

I'll make a review section and a lighting diagram or setup link/menu as well.

Truly appreciate the comments.

Hatch

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,234 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 02, 2016 23:13 |  #8

Much better to me. Good job.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 03, 2016 15:54 |  #9

iOS 9.3.1 on a iPad Air. Accessed your site with Safari and Chrome. 50meg fiber internet connection
Main page took 5-6 seconds to fully render
The image scrolling was a bit jerky. Seemed worse when images of different sizes were adjacent.
Everything else loaded quickly.
Site looks clean.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,461 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 03, 2016 20:00 |  #10

Jethr0 wrote in post #17994788 (external link)
iOS 9.3.1 on a iPad Air. Accessed your site with Safari and Chrome. 50meg fiber internet connection
Main page took 5-6 seconds to fully render
The image scrolling was a bit jerky. Seemed worse when images of different sizes were adjacent.
Everything else loaded quickly.
Site looks clean.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

Hatch

sponsored links

2,201 views & 2 likes for this thread
Site feedback (NSFW)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.